Socks for ice fishing

huzzsaba

5 minutes ago, huzzsaba said:

Any advice would be appreciated.

Flip hut and a buddy heater. It,s what works for me. LOL

I would of said Red Head socks, but their new line is crap.

I stood in 6" of river water yesterday with my new NATS. Never felt the cold at all . This from a guy that gets cold feet easy..

Edited by misfish
  • Like 1

I am a fan of "Polar Paws Heat" socks.  Work great in my Baffin's or any other boot for that matter.  Soft too.  Just find any brand really at the CTC chain of stores that have "heat" in the socks type and you should be good.  PS, a layer between your boots and the ice really helps keep your feet that much warmer even if it's $1-store foam pads.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, GBW said:

I am a fan of "Polar Paws Heat" socks.  Work great in my Baffin's or any other boot for that matter.  Soft too.  Just find any brand really at the CTC chain of stores that have "heat" in the socks type and you should be good.  PS, a layer between your boots and the ice really helps keep your feet that much warmer even if it's $1-store foam pads.

Going to keep the  foam pads next time. Thanks

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, chris.brock said:

I'm not sure what model you have Huzz, but I'm wondering if the boots might be the issue more than the socks?

Chris, not sure of model but they do have some heat retain technology or so they claim. Will try some better socks and see if that helps.

1 hour ago, misfish said:

Flip hut and a buddy heater. It,s what works for me. LOL

I would of said Red Head socks, but their new line is crap.

I stood in 6" of river water yesterday with my new NATS. Never felt the cold at all . This from a guy that gets cold feet easy..

Thanks for the advice!

The best socks you can get are Alpaca wool but they sure are pricey. I've always been somewhat susceptible to cold feet but what I do now is add a good thermal insole and put a foot warmer pack between two pairs of socks, but make sure to put it on top of the foot not the bottom where they get compressed and get no air so they don't stay hot.

Cheers

2 hours ago, huzzsaba said:

What do you guys recommend for socks that will keep feet warm for a day of ice fishing?

I have tried 2-3 pairs of socks along with my good quality columbia boots, but feet are still cold.

Any advice would be appreciated.

By "2-3 pairs of socks" I hope you don't mean at the same time

Too many socks can displace the air layer which insulates your feet.

Find some thick sicks. Boots one size larger than "proper" fit.

Layers of socks will most likely restrict circulation.

The $50 kamik insulated rubber boots and socks with  "thermal" or "heat hold" in the name are what I wear.

Like others mention - dry the liners after use. Also, don't let your feet get sweaty on your drive to the lake. Running shoes in the car. Damp feet in rubber boots will stay damp and therefore cold all day.

I have been using a 2 sock system that was bought for me a few years ago as a Christmas gift.  Cant remember the name brands.  But the pack comes with a base layer sock that wicks the moisture away.  Then a thick wool outside layer.    So you are wearing 2 pairs of socks, but they work together like one to keep you warm and dry.

They work amazing.

23 hours ago, Fisherman said:

After trying different methods and socks,  I keep coming back to this product, just toe warmers on the milder days, full length ones for brass monkey days.  https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/grabber-foot-warmer-insole-0750117p.html

Cabelas had the toe warmers on for .97 cents. I bought the last 5 packs. The full size foot ones are $3.98 a pack of 2.

1 hour ago, 16 Footer said:

Anybody have tried or experience with electric socks that are sold through Amazon?

I have read so many reviews on different types of these. Have yet to see 1 ,that was a solid 5 star report through out the ratings. Lots of garbage out there.

• Like 1

I second the comment about the boots. I wore sorrels with double socks and wool and everything and my feet always ended up getting cold by the end of the day. I switched to some Baffin Eiger boots which are rated as some of the warmest boots on the market and sure enough my feet aren’t cold anymore. And my feet are almost always cold even when inside!