World Junior,s

misfish

On 12/29/2019 at 3:45 PM, grimsbylander said:

Now, let's hear how mature and stoic all you guys were at <19 years old! lol 

I was a poster boy for maturity at 19. Every parent of the girls I dated wanted me to marry their daughter. Actually I was working shifts at the Steel Plant and going to grade 13 full time at the same time. Ask a 19 year old to do that today. Ask a 29 year old to do something like that today. 

55 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I was a poster boy for maturity at 19. Every parent of the girls I dated wanted me to marry their daughter. Actually I was working shifts at the Steel Plant and going to grade 13 full time at the same time. Ask a 19 year old to do that today. Ask a 29 year old to do something like that today. 

Oh come on! LOL Don't be that older generation guy that paints all the young kids with the same brush. There are LOTS of kids working themselves through school today. And they're doing to cover the basic living expenses while racking up huge student debt. Plus they don't have jobs at the union steel plant to look forward to or the opportunity to buy a house under half a mil. Gotta look at the whole picture before we start the "I had to walk 5 miles to school" story. 

I worked my butt off too but still had time to be a 19 year old on a Saturday night.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

Oh come on! LOL Don't be that older generation guy that paints all the young kids with the same brush. There are LOTS of kids working themselves through school today. And they're doing to cover the basic living expenses while racking up huge student debt. Plus they don't have jobs at the union steel plant to look forward to or the opportunity to buy a house under half a mil. Gotta look at the whole picture before we start the "I had to walk 5 miles to school" story. 

I worked my butt off too but still had time to be a 19 year old on a Saturday night.

Of course they could get real jobs in the trades and not rack up all that debt getting philosophy degrees only to never find a good paying philosophy job. My buddies kid has the right idea, he's got an apprenticeship learning to be a lineman. 

When he's done being paid to learn he will have a six figure job instead of debt.  ;)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

Of course they could get real jobs in the trades and not rack up all that debt getting philosophy degrees only to never find a good paying philosophy job. My buddies kid has the right idea, he's got an apprenticeship learning to be a lineman. 

When he's done being paid to learn he will have a six figure job instead of debt.  ;)

And next time you need a dentist, lawyer, doctor, anything related to business, you should call an electrician. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, grimsbylander said:

Precisely why you suggesting kids should just go get a "real job" in a trade like your buddy's kid did makes zero sense. Everyone can't be, or wants to be a lineman.

Which is fine and I have no problem with it, but the powers that be have been pushing university educations for as long as I can remember.

There are tons of great trades jobs available that pay as much or more than those university educated jobs. There is currently a shortage of trades people so there are more positions available to be had.

The world does not need more lawyers right now. But we could use some electricians, welders, pipe fitters, plumbers. ;)

One does not "have" to go to college or university to do well. It is a choice, and it's their choice to take on that debt, saying those poor students with their massive debt doesn't make any sense to me. They know going in it's going to cost a ton of $$$ and take all of your time to become a doctor, if that's what you want to be that's awesome but don't complain about debt, the amount of work or lack of free time. You chose that career path. You'll get your paycheck eventually and will be able to pay back the huge debt. :D

Don’t forget that the system requires stupid 16 year old me to know exactly what I want to do for the rest of my life including where I will need to live and work for my career.

ive had a job since I was 13 years old I went to school and got a useless graphic design degree. At 16 I thought that’s what I wanted to do. Has nothing to do with laziness. In fact we were actually told by the school system that the trades were an option for those of us who had bad grades and couldn’t cut it in school. So everytime I hear about “getting a real job” and the hard workers...most trades guys I know that entered into them right out of school got the job cause of nepotism where their family member bailed their flunking butts out by giving them a job making good money because they were going to be stuck working at McDonald’s for minimum wage as a career.

the guys that worked their asses off in highschool all went to university and got degrees because that’s what the system told them to do. And sure enough the absolutely cream of the crop make more money at 30 years old than any foreman or journeyman tradesman will ever make especially union ones that have caps on their wage.

Edited by AKRISONER

4 minutes ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

Which is fine and I have no problem with it, but the powers that be have been pushing university educations for as long as I can remember.

There are tons of great trades jobs available that pay as much or more than those university educated jobs. There is currently a shortage of trades people so there are more positions available to be had.

The world does not need more lawyers right now. But we could use some electricians, welders, pipe fitters, plumbers. ;)

One does not "have" to go to college or university to do well. It is a choice, and it's their choice to take on that debt, saying those poor students with their massive debt doesn't make any sense to me. They know going in it's going to cost a ton of $$$ and take all of your time to become a doctor, if that's what you want to be that's awesome but don't complain about debt, the amount of work or lack of free time. You chose that career path. You'll get your paycheck eventually and will be able to pay back the huge debt. :D

Go back read the posts...this started when it was insinuated young people today don't work hard. Things are very different in today's world including rate of pay, student debt and housing is all I'm saying. Nothing about complaining of debt. If a kid is smart enough and wants to be a professional, they should..period. My parents pushed me to get a trade; so I did. I smartened up 30 years later and graduated university VERY late in life. Personally, I wouldn't climb a damn hydro pole for $100K but again, everyone is different.

4 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

The kid that didn't take his helmet off is either going to university or wants to be an electrician. LOL I guess you saw all the comments except the apology for the hijack. :huh:

Apologizing for the hijack doesn't make it right, you sound like a liberal lol.

Happy new year.

1 minute ago, grimsbylander said:

Celebrating 3 losses in 10 years makes you a liberal!! 😂 Medals for everyone!!! 

I didn't say you were a Liberal, just that you sounded like one by figuring that an apology solves everything. ;)

BTW the Sens came a double overtime goal away in game 7 from making the finals 2 years ago. It certainly was worth celebrating ,the fans and the whole city were loving it. Way more than the leafs have ever had to celebrate for decades. Just sayin...