Disconnecting - newest post

gordy28

Latest post is up 

https://www.northernjacks.com/post/disconnecting-outside

Its a little different.  Recently I have realized how often I check my phone and don't pay enough attention to what I am doing

Flip side of that is when I am enjoying any of the things I love to do outdoors like fishing, kayaking, camping or even golfing I never even glance at my phone.   I mean on our fly in trips if I use it its as a camera only. 

Since I generally feel much better after one of these trips and do some of my best thinking it made me think of the health and wellness benefits of just getting out there and disconnecting

Cheers

Andrew

Have to heartily agree on disconnecting.  The insane amount of people you see walking around with phone in one hand and a pretty close second place is their favourite version of coffee.  Health sources forecast a large amount of people will suffer from phone thumb because of the amount of time swiping, it's not a natural action. Secondly and probably more severe will be the head/neck bent forward staring at the device,  another non natural position. 

I own a cell phone but it lives in my truck and it's only there for emergencies or if my wife has to call me for something that can't wait till I get home, and other than that it never get's used, infact I don't even remember the last time I used it.

The only 2 people in the universe that have my number are my wife and daughter and everyone else knows if they want to contact me to call me at home.

I've never texted and wouldn't even know how to do it.

We go out for dinner every Friday night and even sometimes for breakfast thru the week and I'm amazed every time at the number of people talking on their phones in the restaurant rather than the people they're sitting with.

We were out recently and the 4 people at  the next table almost never spoke to each other and spent the whole time texting to other people.

I've lived a long time without a cell phone and don't intent to start anytime soon LOL

Edited by lew
  • Like 1

Thanks guys  - I definitely think its easy to get hooked on being constantly connected

I think of my youngest daughter - basically all she has ever known is having access to "everything" at her fingertips.  its one of the big reasons I am hoping she inherits our love of the outdoors

Thanks Mamona - yes - its been a grind but I feel better and my wallet is heavier!