I like your website and writing Gordy. When I was a kid my Mom, Dad and 2 brothers went on exactly 2 road trips in the 59' Chevy wagon then the 65" Impala. The 1st was to NY City to see the sights and visit cousins in The Bronx and a fancy posh big home owned by my Great Aunt Sadie and Uncle Joe who was a union rep for NY garment workers in some neighborhood I have on the tip of my tongue. Scarsdale NY , that was it. I played contact football at 8 yrs. old and the neighbor across the street was NFL Hall of Fame member and NY Giant star Frank Gifford. He gave me an autographed football, that was a thrill. Wish I had it today. I remember we weren't allowed to sit on the furniture, heck it was covered in plastic anyway, they didn't have any kids. Our tour of NY City was Mom pointing to landmarks from the car, "Oh look boys the Empire State building, there's the U.N. there's the Chrysler Building kids, Hey look there's the famous Brooklynn Bridge." Then to The Bronx to watch the old fogies drink strong coffee and Stock 84. It's the 1st time I saw a real handgun. I remember going through The Holland Tunnel was cool. Went to Ottawa once for Centennial year and it was a similar tour but we got out of the car once besides all we wanted to do is swim in the Motel D 'Ville pool anyway. Had never been in a swimming pool before that. So my road trips started in grade 12 when I bought my own car. Dad wasn't much into road trips I guess God rest his soul. There's my family road trips, I still remember them like yesterday. Heck most of my friends and cousins never got out of the East End of Hamilton so it was a big deal.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

1 hour ago, gordy28 said:

Brian I would guess that picture is from or 1980 - the funny thing is thats what we used to water ski in!

I was thinking further back. 72-75 :Gonefishing:

We had to wear one til we could prove to the old man we could tread water and swim. I did my darndest to get that done, to get rid of wearing that thing.LOL We always had it on in the boat. Reeling in fish was a pain in the ass. LOL

Running off the end of the dock with just shorts on, was SO COOL.

Edited by misfish

I basically bought a new truck just for a reliable ride on road trips. Its been to the east coast once and Greenstone 3 times which is about a 2800 km round trip. My wife won't go past Orillia but shes fine with the east coast. This coming spring I hope to be heading up for a Nipigon fishing trip and then moose in the fall. Hwy 11 has changed a lot in the last 20 plus years of going up as many small towns die.. This past year saw the Husky on Hwy 11 in Geraldton close which surprised me... We stay in Jellico while in town at a house co-owned by a high school buddy and another fellow I've known for 25 years owns a place the next street over..

I still drive hwy 48 weekly in the summer. Been taking that trip since I was born as my great grandfather lived on on 48 just past Kirkfield. I now have a cottage off 48 Is that Sand Beach the one near Fenelon Falls?

Edited by Cando
typo

On 12/17/2019 at 9:25 PM, pics said:

I basically bought a new truck just for a reliable ride on road trips. Its been to the east coast once and Greenstone 3 times which is about a 2800 km round trip. My wife won't go past Orillia but shes fine with the east coast. This coming spring I hope to be heading up for a Nipigon fishing trip and then moose in the fall. Hwy 11 has changed a lot in the last 20 plus years of going up as many small towns die.. This past year saw the Husky on Hwy 11 in Geraldton close which surprised me... We stay in Jellico while in town at a house co-owned by a high school buddy and another fellow I've known for 25 years owns a place the next street over..

Nice - I really enjoyed the trip up 11 and loved the East Coast.  After a few days in PEI my wife and I were both jumping on the MLS app to look at places lol

10 hours ago, Cando said:

I still drive hwy 48 weekly in the summer. Been taking that trip since I was born as my great grandfather lived on on 48 just past Kirkfield. I now have a cottage off 48 Is that Sand Beach the one near Fenelon Falls?

Sandy Beach is between Fenelon Falls and Rosedale (off of highway 35).  Basically its about a 5 minute boat ride from the bridge/river/locks at Rosedale

Cheers

Andrew

On 12/20/2019 at 2:04 PM, gordy28 said:

Sandy Beach is between Fenelon Falls and Rosedale (off of highway 35).  Basically its about a 5 minute boat ride from the bridge/river/locks at Rosedale

Cheers

Andrew

That's the one I thought it was. I always like the looks of that park. It has gotten a lot bigger over the years with more trailers.

Have a good Christmas

Ron

On 12/17/2019 at 9:25 PM, pics said:

A few years ago was the 1st time I took Hwy 11 to North Bay for the last 20 some odd years. Man I couldn't believe how much it has changed, for me not for the better. I didn't recognize it. It's progress I guess. 

Keep them batteries pushin' Pics. 

14 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

A few years ago was the 1st time I took Hwy 11 to North Bay for the last 20 some odd years. Man I couldn't believe how much it has changed, for me not for the better. I didn't recognize it. It's progress I guess. 

Keep them batteries pushin' Pics. 

We are humming along.. I spend quite a bit of my breaks studying Google earth. I think I need to order a map of Nipigon for my possible spring trip...

On 12/25/2019 at 12:35 AM, pics said:

We are humming along.. I spend quite a bit of my breaks studying Google earth. I think I need to order a map of Nipigon for my possible spring trip...

On 12/25/2019 at 12:35 AM, pics said:

Breaks, no time for breaks!!! I worked as a Heater Helper during the 90 strike. If you don't have breaks you will melt like the Wicked Witch of the West. Unless you have stood on the top of a Coke Ovens battery no one knows what hot really is. It's not just the heat, that green stuff in the air you can cut with a knife will drop you like a 303 to a lung if you don't have your respirator on. For all you guys here that think it sucks where you work should go to where Pics works for just 10 minutes. It's like being on some planet that doesn't have oxygen only black, brown, red and green toxic gasses with an ambient temperature of 120F and higher. They can go through the soles of work boots a few times a week just walking on the top of a Coke battery. You will love where you put in your time where you work. 

Speaking for all the pensioners dependent on you guys to keep the bucks coming in we appreciate what you and all the guys and gals down there do to keep our pensions coming in every month. 

• Thanks 1