Introduction To Sally.

DanD

On 2/19/2020 at 5:38 AM, DanD said:

yea I think that Sally will be getting a new pair of shoes; a set of drive on skies. Wanted to try the chains and I think they'll still be better on bare ice for steering. But I dob't think we would have got stuck on that crusted over snow back if she had skies on? Instead of the front tires breaking through; I think Sally would have stayed on top and floated over.

OK I'm stubborn and wanted to try it my way first. LOL

Dan.

Dan 

Be sure to post some good pics of your skis.

I'm building a permy ice hut out of an old popup camper and want to put skis on it.

I've got a pretty good idea what I'm going to do but more ideas are always good. ;)

1 hour ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

Be sure to post some good pics of your skis.

Here are a few pics of the skies I built for the fish hut/old sled. My first attempt was to make them about the width of a ladder; actually the frame was from a ladder. LOL My thinking was the width would keep the hut on top of the snow; Yea it did but the drag was way to much; even with the ladder rungs covered with light weight sheet metal. Before I built the hut I was just using them on a sled behind the ski-doo and it pulled like I had a 10 ton load.

Sled1.jpeg.af84ca100479ddcd0b26e4bc7b6686b1.jpeg

When I built the hut with the lowering axles; I knew a had to lessen the drag of the skies.

Hut lowered to the frame. At this point the wheels can be lifted (by hand) high enough to put the skies under the wheels. Once skies were in place, winch the hut's springs down and raise the hut.

IMG_1237.JPG.658f3aff9f66a79de1dcd12a8595d3ed.JPG

Hut raised for towing, down the road or out on the ice.IMG_1239.JPG.9755b33f0b1435febfbf153ca918220d.JPG

Decided on these and so far they have worked pretty good. Gets the hut up off the snow and the narrow rails are no where's near as hard to pull.

thumbnail_IMG_0162.jpg.fe91ba7c7951f885985b449889396e19.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0161.jpg.31d53b40e1fbddb2c5ddd40f86f8dfe8.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0159.jpg.81a27348918d3344d7c2740effcfbc8c.jpg

Going to redesign the skies that I used on my 3' X 4' tag along trailer; to become Sally's new drive-on skies for the front.. Going to lower the back, so I can drive Sally's front tires into them and then ratchet strap then together?

thumbnail_IMG_0160.jpg.92097c019d452a79055d0ab7b9ad87ee.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0163.jpg.f8e38c1a18cb2ab7e62831a39fe60e13.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0164.jpg.d47bc416ad8be1ab8f58b13b02830bbb.jpg

The curved portion of both set of skies are actually trailer fenders, turned upside down to create pockets for the tires to sit in.

Dan.

Yea but do you have a warm place to drive out with, (Sally's heater works great) a warm up shack that you can strip down to a tee shirt in, 110 volts (generator) to power up engine block heaters or the microwave oven to warm your meals,  a BBQ and camp stove to cook meals? With this rig  I can use my permanent "Blue" fish hut as a base camp. Now I can use Sally and Bob (sled) and be mobile. Find an area I want to fish and then move base camp. Yes a lot of work, then what maybe needed to fish; but I also enjoy being comfortable, doing so. 

Shane.

You will always be welcome In my fish hut, warm up shack or Sally!

I like the way you speak your mind. Even as demented as it is. LOL

You've helped me in the past!!!!

Dan.

Edited by DanD
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, DanD said:

Yea but do you have a warm place to drive out with, (Sally's heater works great) a warm up shack that you can strip down to a tee shirt in, 110 volts (generator) to power up engine block heaters or the microwave oven to warm your meals,  a BBQ and camp stove to cook meals? With this rig  I can use my permanent "Blue" fish hut as a base camp. Now I can use Sally and Bob (sled) and be mobile. Find an area I want to fish and then move base camp. Yes a lot of work, then what maybe needed to fish; but I also enjoy being comfortable, doing so. 

Shane.

You will always be welcome In my fish hut, warm up shack or Sally!

I like the way you speak your mind. Even as demented as it is. LOL

You've helped me in the past!!!!

Dan.

I think its cool as can be, just not for me. I like to keep things simple and effective, and have the least amount of things to worry about, and deal with.  Thats all. I love seeing the rigging of others, everyone has their thing. You clearly have the skills and means to produce the rigging, so all the power to you. Also, I'm always around if you need a hand. You have my number. Hopefully we will cross paths out there this year. The fish have been chomping real good so far. I'm still on weekdays, so if your out on a tues/wed, don't be afraid to reach out. Lori and I had a 31 whitefish day last week, it was nuts! 

S.