Introduction To Sally.

DanD

Thanks Terry.

Once everything’s buttoned up; I can start playing with adjustments. Already thinking about cutting a round out of the trailing axle’s coil springs. Those Toyota rear struts only will compress by about 2 inches and then start lifting Sally’s ass end up. 
Dan. 

With the bit of snow we had on the weekend I was able to get Sally out to the back lot here at the shop. Driving through foot + deep snow banks wasn't an issue. Then I tried climbing a 3-4 foot pile that the snow plow left. Got 3/4 the way over and the now wet tires started to spin inside the tracks. So back to the drawing board and came up with these cleats.

thumbnail_IMG_0147.jpg.c0bf886ae2992275eb0e347a94bf8949.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0148.jpg.66ff036588174ff79982510f2361f109.jpg

One side is about an 1/8 inch down to grab onto the tire. The other side is about a 1/4 inch to dig into the ice.

Had a few minutes to put the chains on the quad; so it's read to go as the back up vehicle if Sally craps out?

thumbnail_IMG_0149.jpg.37bc05cd20f5aff8af782938e722bc53.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0150.jpg.10819212f3553a74d67f44f6c39fc080.jpg

We're going to look like the Nipissing Hillbillies have come to town. LOL

Beverly-Hillbillies-Family-in-the-car-77

Even Rosco my basset hound is ready to go; but my wife says I can't take him with?

Rosco2.jpeg.326da5076eed5213fcc4a57e19e85325.jpeg

Dan.

• Like 3

Heading out tomorrow morning for Nipissing. All loaded up, fueled up and crossing fingers that we're ready to go?

Also hoping that the MTO has a bit of forgiveness. Maximum width is a 102 inches, the trailer is legal but the skies of the bobsled measure 109". Oops officer I didn't realize , I had 7 more inches then I thought I had? (I could only wish) LOL  Anyway we're off later tonight and will let the cards fall where they will.

thumbnail_IMG_0154.jpg.89ddd72566aebdffc64fd7fc4605e9b2.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0155.jpg.e3e8a29faf2a514d6e12df482c8230be.jpg

Dan.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DanD said:

Heading out tomorrow morning for Nipissing. All loaded up, fueled up and crossing fingers that we're ready to go?

Also hoping that the MTO has a bit of forgiveness. Maximum width is a 102 inches, the trailer is legal but the skies of the bobsled measure 109". Oops officer I didn't realize , I had 7 more inches then I thought I had? (I could only wish) LOL  Anyway we're off later tonight and will let the cards fall where they will.

thumbnail_IMG_0154.jpg.89ddd72566aebdffc64fd7fc4605e9b2.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0155.jpg.e3e8a29faf2a514d6e12df482c8230be.jpg

Dan.

We will want a video of your trip.

On 2/4/2020 at 4:49 PM, irishfield said:

A while back I saw an episode of " Restoration Garage" and Grainger, the owner of the shop north of Newmarket, had a Model A ot T set up for the snow and ice. I had never seen a single one in my 65 years of travel. Now I see a line up of them, cooler than the ice they drive on. 

Dan I don't want to see the road kill after you run something over under those tires. Nothing like fresh ground Ground Hog. 

16 hours ago, DanD said:

Dan.

No idea how tough your cops are there, here the state highway patrol and most local police departments would have an issue with over width or over height vehicles. Good luck!

Just pulled into the motel in North Bay and instantly recognized the vehicle 😄 looks like fun.....I was getting some looks bombing across the lake today in my Subaru stuffed with big A/T tires lol. Dude's getting stuck with 4x4 pickups as I floated over the crusty snow 😁

Lotsa fish caught today, not a keeper in the bunch tho.... 

Josh 

Edited by J Roelofsen
  • Like 3

First off, it was good meeting you Josh. We didn't have a lot of time to talk; but it was pretty neat meeting another Londoner and board member!!!

Lakeshore Suits was just as porkpie said it was. Lots of parking for the vehicles and trailer. The rooms are not fancy but very clean, big and super warm.

When we got to the Lakeshore suits we drove by looking for Sunset park. It was less then a mile away; with very easy access to the lake.

Went back to the suits and asked if we could unload and leave the trailer there. "NO problem just park it there and you'll be good". Every nice people running the place.

Unloaded the trailer, hooked Bob and Sally together and off we went; down Lakeshore to Sunset park. Wasn't sure if we were legal driving on the street; but a cop went by giving us a thumbs up? It's North Bay and he knew what we were doing; I guess?

Sally and Bob worked like they were meant to be. On the hard packed snow close to shore, I left Sally in high range and she pulled Bob easily in first gear.  Once we started into some deeper snow I had to switch to low range and when the engine revs were right, shift into second gear. What a little trooper she was; start into a snow drift, you could hear the RPM starting to drop. Stick my foot into the throttle and she'd dig down through the snow. When the track's cleats hit the ice, she just started pushing forwards and through. We did get stuck once, I didn't see that the drift was that deep. When the snow came up over the top of the front bumper and the front wheels broke through the hard crust the tracks were just spinning in air. Pulled the winch out, connected it to the rear of Bob. Drilled a hole in the ice and set the anchor Pulled ourselves out and off we went again. About a 15 minute deal to get moving again.

The fishing was slow; but we did get a number of keeper Walleye and a couple dozen or so of jumbo perch.

There was a pressure crack that we didn't want to cross that kept us away from the water depths I wanted (25-30 feet); but we made due.  We were about  1 1/2 miles out to the crack and the Manitou  islands were another 2 miles. Would have liked being in that 20 to 30 FOW  between the crack and the islands.

Even with the 45 Klm winds we were able to stay warm inside Bob with the buddy heater going. We also put a wind break tarp up between Sally and Bob that helped a lot keeping us sheltered. 

Only took a couple of pics; to frigging cold and my phone didn't like it? 

thumbnail_IMG_0156.jpg.2fe092099b9c9044bc618319a252672f.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0157.jpg.87058f97e06fe2a9def291c64ee3f19a.jpg

• Like 4

14 hours ago, misfish said:

So do you think skis on the front tires might be a better deal Dan ? In those pics, the front end looks like it would plow.

Thanks for the feed back on your maiden journey .

yea I think that Sally will be getting a new pair of shoes; a set of drive on skies. Wanted to try the chains and I think they'll still be better on bare ice for steering. But I dob't think we would have got stuck on that crusted over snow back if she had skies on? Instead of the front tires breaking through; I think Sally would have stayed on top and floated over.

OK I'm stubborn and wanted to try it my way first. LOL

Dan.

• Haha 1