Introduction To Sally.

DanD

1993 Suzuki Sidekick AKA Sally. I've been spending time on her, getting the basic mechanical and electrical back in shape. Yesterday was slow here in the shop, so I decided to attach the winch mount and get that out of the way. Ho yeah Sally's name sake, comes from my wife's Aunt Sally. An 80+ year old lady, that's rough and tough; but will never let you down. Hopefully the Sidekick lives up to its name sake. LOL The winch mount is actually a class 3 hitch receiver that came off of a Dodge Caravan. Cut off the the brackets that were not needed. Flipped the receiver upside down and welded it to the frame horns and the bumper's re-bar. 

Dan.

Sally6.jpg.d3942d8f54d831b5ec449cfd705f17b3.jpgSally4.jpg.0b6455db4ceb8c61b9e4323d0103e00b.jpgSally3.jpg.5c998f802281b69f15221df71c400070.jpgSally2.jpg.281e340e7c4a51234039200195cecbb6.jpg 

Edited by DanD
  • Like 7

Having trouble finding snowmobile tracks that will fit and I want to afford. So if my luck of finding tracks stays the same. I might chain all four wheels. I have tire chains for the front wheels already and have locked (weld spider gears) the rear differential. So I might get away with 4 wheel chains? 
I’ll post up dates as they come along for anyone interested. 
Dan. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, John Bacon said:

Does this mean that you can move the winch from front to back as required?

Front to rear and vehicle to vehicle. May need to build a stronger ice anchor. The quads winch is 2000 lbs; Sally’s new winch is 4000 lbs. 
Dan. 

Edited by DanD

I have tried chaining both front and back tires but found under most conditions chains on the front digs in to deep into the snow and drags the front down and then the back in the same ruts dig even deeper

to be honest making a set of skis for the front that the front wheels can drive onto floats the front end better over snow 

Thanks Terry. 

I appreciate your input. I like the lateral thinking with one of my first time projects. I’m still wanting tracks on the rear wheels. Going to a buddies hoarding pile tomorrow. He thinks he may have what I want. 
If money were not an issue; this project would be said and done. The search for cheap is what makes my builds interesting for me. 
Plus the wife has caught wind of this and has slapped her purse closed. Sealing in the money and my boys! LOL

Dan. 

Those things are virtually unbreakable. When you see more than a few late 80's vehicles still on the road the proof is in the pudding and many of those Suzuki's are still on the road. The bodies give out far before the drive train . Another example are mid to late 80's GMC Sierra's and Chevy  short box stepsides, plenty still on the road. I might suggest looking at one of those old Bombadier 1/2 tracks they use on Nippising. No need to re invent the wheel. On that whacky Newfie TV show "Last Chance Garage" they did something with an old beater similar to what you want to do. Good choice with the Suzuki Dan. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I guess those are rear wheel drive until you lock the fronts in?   The skis on the front is a cool idea. In all reality though, that will go almost anywhere you need to go to ice fish 90% of the time, with 4 good tires. The tracks are nice crossing cracks though. I never liked crossing cracks with rubber tires. 

S. 

That's why I mentioned the Alp's my Buckeye pal. Do you follow OSU football? Not Oklahoma State Ohio State. Ranked #1 in the country.

For all our hockey nuts on OFC the Oklahoma Cowboys have a Junior running back from Saskatchewan of all places by the name of  Chuba Hubbard that is running rampant against defences. He might fallow in the footsteps of anther Oklahoma Cowboy, some guy named Barry Sanders who ran for no less than 2600 yards and scored 39 !!!!!! touchdowns in his Jr. year. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

4 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

That's why I mentioned the Alp's my Buckeye pal. Do you follow OSU football? Not Oklahoma State Ohio State. Ranked #1 in the country.

For all our hockey nuts on OFC the Oklahoma Cowboys have a Junior running back from Saskatchewan of all places by the name of  Chuba Hubbard that is running rampant against defences. He might fallow in the footsteps of anther Oklahoma Cowboy, some guy named Barry Sanders who ran for no less than 2600 yards and scored 39 !!!!!! touchdowns in his Jr. year. 

Far more interest in Dan's project, I know we have some sports teams in my area though.

Dan, I would imagine this was checked?  https://www.cars.com/research/suzuki-sidekick-1993/recalls/

7 hours ago, OhioFisherman said:

Dan, I would imagine this was checked? 

No I didn’t know about that. Thanks. 
My plan is to weld struts (2x2 square tubing) to the diff’s tubes. With your info I’ll also be re-welding the tubes to the centre section. 
Thanks again!!!

Went down to Simcoe (a town in Norfolk county) to a friends place. He showed me a set of home built tracks, he built for his Argo. 
(Of corse I for got to take a picture) That l plan on coping with a few alterations. The tracks will consist of two 4 inch strips of heavy duty rubber Conveyor belt. Cut in 4 inch wide strip; two strips per side. Setting the strips parallel to each other. Then join the strips together with 14 “ long 3/4” angle iron. 
To hard to explain it all but will post pics as I go. thanks in showing an interest in the project. 
Dan. 

Edited by DanD
  • Like 2