Hey there,

I'm new to the community. I will be staying at a cottage on Whitestone Lake over Christmas and hope to have suitable ice to fish with a group. This is a yearly tradition however we are new to the cottage and lake.

Main question is how are the ice conditions in the area right now. With two weeks until we go it can only get thicker so I'm trying to see what the worst case would be (current conditions). Anyone been inthe area lately (near Perry Sound, Whitestone, Dunchurch)?

we take ice safety seriously I normally go out there with one other guy on foot and auger some holes to take a measurement of the thickness. In the last three years we have had good conditions for a full ice rink even so I'm hopeful.

Anyway if anyone know what the ice is looking like in that area (whitestone, perry sound, dunchurch) it would be greatly appreciated of you could share. 

12 minutes ago, BillM said:

I bet if it's got any ice at all it's extremely sketchy.  Definitely try and get a hold of someone local.  Temps just haven't gotten cold enough yet this year.

Thanks for the reply I'm going to follow up with a restaurant in the area hopefully they have something good to say 

Ice conditions here where we live, the North shore of Lake Erie, are perfect. There isn't any. But there were days when I skied I wished for snow. One year I remember going down to Ellicott NY we had a foot of good base the last week of November. I happened to get a bad flu on the Mon and Tues of that week.  Same wishes for ice when when we hit the hardwater.  One of the best Xmas days we had here with the entire Family we had a good 6" of ice. My brother and I walked  out 100 yards and got a nice bucket of Perch. It can't get much better than that. Maybe call the folks you rented from, they may have your answer. 

I hope you get your ice and regardless have a great Christmas and welcome to The Ontario Fishing Community Mr. or Miss Eserf. Tell us a bit about yourself. 

I live in pointe au baril. Ice is still extremely bad having only truly formed within the last week. That area got absolutely hammered with snow over the past two days. However the squalls were extremely localized. Pointe au baril didn’t get a lot of snow while areas to the south got dumped on. At best you may be able to tread cautiously on foot on very well known areas but any sort of motorized transport would be 100% out of the question. There is a cold snap due next week but with lots of snow on the ice it’s not going to help anything.

2 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Ice conditions here where we live, the North shore of Lake Erie, are perfect. There isn't any. But there were days when I skied I wished for snow. One year I remember going down to Ellicott NY we had a foot of good base the last week of November. I happened to get a bad flu on the Mon and Tues of that week.  Same wishes for ice when when we hit the hardwater.  One of the best Xmas days we had here with the entire Family we had a good 6" of ice. My brother and I walked  out 100 yards and got a nice bucket of Perch. It can't get much better than that. Maybe call the folks you rented from, they may have your answer. 

I hope you get your ice and regardless have a great Christmas and welcome to The Ontario Fishing Community Mr. or Miss Eserf. Tell us a bit about yourself. 

Staying optimistic. We would only be on foot anyway not like I'm asking for enough ice to have a sled out there. Might have something decent by Christmas. My name is Evan I live in Vaughan

52 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

I live in pointe au baril. Ice is still extremely bad having only truly formed within the last week. That area got absolutely hammered with snow over the past two days. However the squalls were extremely localized. Pointe au baril didn’t get a lot of snow while areas to the south got dumped on. At best you may be able to tread cautiously on foot on very well known areas but any sort of motorized transport would be 100% out of the question. There is a cold snap due next week but with lots of snow on the ice it’s not going to help anything.

One year was bad but we still managed to make a small skating area just off shore fishing was no good that year

Dear Eserf from Vaughan, 

I currently reside in Sudbury, but I’m spending Christmas with my wife family in Vaughan. Last time I was there I noticed a body of water on centre street just west of Yonge. Wondering if you have ever fished that body of water before, and if it would be worth bringing my gear south with me. Also wondering if you can tell me what species reside in that lake. 

Please let me know ASAP 

Tight lines

- Theguyfromupnorth

9 hours ago, Theguyfromupnorth said:

Dear Eserf from Vaughan, 

I currently reside in Sudbury, but I’m spending Christmas with my wife family in Vaughan. Last time I was there I noticed a body of water on centre street just west of Yonge. Wondering if you have ever fished that body of water before, and if it would be worth bringing my gear south with me. Also wondering if you can tell me what species reside in that lake. 

Please let me know ASAP 

Tight lines

- Theguyfromupnorth

Thats the mill pond in Richmond hill.  When visiting my grandparents, gramps would drive me down there as a little boy when my grandmother went to the mall (smart man, he wasn’t getting stuck shopping) We’d fish for panfish.  You’d catch the occasional bass as well.  No idea what if anything you can catch in there now but 40 plus years ago that’s all that was present.

15 hours ago, porkpie said:

Thats the mill pond in Richmond hill.  When visiting my grandparents, gramps would drive me down there as a little boy when my grandmother went to the mall (smart man, he wasn’t getting stuck shopping) We’d fish for panfish.  You’d catch the occasional bass as well.  No idea what if anything you can catch in there now but 40 plus years ago that’s all that was present.

Thats Oak bank pond. People have fished there I haven't I'm not sure whats in there but I've people fishing small pond in my area and they do catch small fish. Not sure if there is ice on the shore yet. I can have a look if I drive by that area tomorrow. There is a wood deck that you can cast off if there is no ice I think you should be good. 

Edited by Eserf

15 hours ago, porkpie said:

Mill pond is on mill street accessible from Bathurst north of major Mackenzie. I believe he was referring to oak bank pond on centre street west of young. Mill pond has nice skating in the winter when its frozen and people do fish it in the warmer months for small fish