side imaging deucer on a deep v?

AKRISONER

Hey guys,

my old man has an alumacraft trophy 19 deep v boat and took advantage of a Black Friday sale to get a new Humminbird unit with side imaging.

his previous 798  unit was having some issues with gps and imaging where his one side image beam would just not read at all.

anyways, long story short, being the overthinking panicker that he is, he has now convinced himself that his side imaging won’t work with his boat because his motor is going to be in the way of the beam. 

can anyone here that owns a deep v boat with a side imaging unit on it please confirm for me two things, 1. How you mounted your transdeucer and 2. Does your side imaging work without having to trim your motor entirely out of the water. 

I know this seems ridiculous but of course he doesn’t trust what I have to say because my boat is a bass boat so according to him they are “nothing alike” 

I have a friend who had a legend boat, similar to your dad's which had the side imaging problem. Brought it back to the dealer several times but they couldn't figure it out. It could have been that whoever installed it was inexperienced. They ended up putting a second ducer on the other side of the boat and they ran simultaneously to provide the picture to the unit. On the flip side I have a friend who has a Ranger 621 and he runs Lowerance (if that matters) but he has no issues what so ever with his SI pictures, and he runs one ducer.  

This site has been helpful for me in the past, might be worth checking out. 

http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=tbcr9ig6e7k7pgha6u25s2kek3&

Edited by Musky Plug

I have what could be considered a very deep boat.  I do occasionally lose some signal on the port side of the boat.  I have my transducer mounted pretty low on the boat on a Berts sonar board.   I’ve fiddled with height a bit but sometimes the left side signal is just not as crisp.  I’m running a totalscan transducer.  For me it’s not a huge issue because I don’t rely on my sidescan near as often as a structure fisherman would.  While I do target structure, a ton of my fishing is targeting open water suspended fish.  So, while I wouldn’t panic, it can be an issue.  If I relied on it more heavily I’d be looking for a fix, and I’m not quite sure what the fix is.

Edited by porkpie

I closed the bottom of my jack plate for little better hole shot. My SI is bolted to this plate so between motor an transom.

I was careful to not have a strake  messing water  coming off hull. Don't remember reading  that this could be a problem.

Mine is bassboat an lowrance.

56 minutes ago, Dan668 said:

I just trim up a bit on my impact and then my port side readings are clear. Only using sidescan at low speeds anyways. 

This was my thought as well, simply trim up a bit and it should be fine right?

his old unit no matter what you did completely lost it’s signal on the right side and hence he’s convinced it will be the same with his boat. My understanding was that the side beam is narrow front to back so if you aren’t trimmed totally down you won’t have an issue.

a jack plate would definitely solve the issue but remounting the main is Not gonna happen lol

this is great. I think my dad somewhat believes me now when i tell him that trimming up a little will solve his problem. this all stemmed from him being convinced his motor was causing issues with the previous deucer, however it didnt show the right beam even with the motor out of the water.