Which type of fishing trip is right for you. Fishing Related

gordy28

As mentioned in an earlier post

Over the past 20 years I have been a part of and in some cases organized a bunch of different trips - mainly fishing (some golfing but that's off topic)

Cabin rental in the Kawarthas, Boat in lodge, backcountry camping and I even lucked out and got taken on a deluxe fly in lodge adventure

Pretty sure most of my trips are on this site as a trip report to boot.

My most recent blog posts lays out some of the pros/cons IMO for the different types of trips I have done

www.northernjacks.com

Cheers

Andrew

25 minutes ago, BillM said:

I like super remote, self guided, choose your own adventure type deals.     I'm sure most of mine are chronicled here and on Mikes site.   

I like remote as well although I am not sure I could do some of the trips you and Mike did like the Suttom or Chapleau Game Preserve 

I'd crap myself if I ran into a polar bear

I have had the best trips staying with an outfitter, he is there if you have an issue with anything.

Used a fly in operaters 3 times and have been disappointed 3 times, never again will I use a fly in camp.

They take your money and leave you in the outpost, you stay for you allotted time, they pick you up when they bring 

in the next group, they will likely be disappointed to.

I actually thrive on that, "take your money and leave you in the outpost".

When the plane drops us off and leaves, I love that feeling of remoteness and isolation, we fend for ourselves, make due with what we have, around the nightly campfire we'll discuss what we need to do to make life easier for the rest of the week, and if we want to come back next year or recommend the place to others. 

I give a bit of grace to the outfitters. Planes are very expensive to fly and maintain and the prices they charge I would consider a bargain.

I've been to a lot of different styles of camps/lodges; dive to, boat to and fly-ins. Each style has their good points and bad; all depending on the operator's commitment of providing what they claim to do for their fee. Things like reliable equipment; nothing worse then getting in a boat that the motor is questionable. Especially on a fly-in where, if it takes 3 or 4 boats ; until you feel that this one sounds OK. There's nothing that throws a damper on exploring a lake or river; if you're not feeling comfortable that the motor will get you back to camp. Drive or boat to camps; you show up and it's a complete crap hole of a place. Where most things barely work (if at all) or you're afraid to use the crapper because you might go through the floor. LOL  All that being said, I've been to a lot of good camps; where most of the things you're told are true. Maybe not quite what you expected; but still every enjoyable. All I can say is research the crap out of a place you're thinking of going to. Throw the dice when picking a "new" to you camp and hope you don't throw snake eyes.

Dan.

With the exception of a long week end camping trip to Rice Lake all of my trips were drive to and cabin or trailer rentals at small cabin rental places. Always a housekeeping plan, I didn't mind cooking, and as a vacation I had no interest in keeping anyone's schedule other than my own. I preferred two week trips over one and the Pointe Au Baril area was isolation enough for me.

I turned down fly in, trips to Lake of the woods, and other long trips here and up north, just not a travel fan.

1 hour ago, DanD said:

I've been to a lot of different styles of camps/lodges; dive to, boat to and fly-ins. Each style has their good points and bad; all depending on the operator's commitment of providing what they claim to do for their fee. Things like reliable equipment; nothing worse then getting in a boat that the motor is questionable. Especially on a fly-in where, if it takes 3 or 4 boats ; until you feel that this one sounds OK. There's nothing that throws a damper on exploring a lake or river; if you're not feeling comfortable that the motor will get you back to camp. Drive or boat to camps; you show up and it's a complete crap hole of a place. Where most things barely work (if at all) or you're afraid to use the crapper because you might go through the floor. LOL  All that being said, I've been to a lot of good camps; where most of the things you're told are true. Maybe not quite what you expected; but still every enjoyable. All I can say is research the crap out of a place you're thinking of going to. Throw the dice when picking a "new" to you camp and hope you don't throw snake eyes.

Dan.

It's not about roughing it if that's what you have booked and paid for, it's about not getting what you've paid for period!

That's one of the reasons I suggest checking the Google reviews rather than relying on the supplier's web site reviews (they don't post the bad ones). Even when checking the google reviews look at the reviewers stats; how many reviews have they done? (if it's only one or two could it be someone paid to post a positive review?). Check to see if the person that did the review has ever posted positive or negative reviews on other places. If possible contact the person that did the review and get as much information as you can.

Some of these trips are "once in a lifetime" for some people and it would be ashamed to hand out several thousand dollars only to find out that you have been lied to but your money is gone and the trip is over.

I unfortunately havent had the opportunity to do a fly in outfitter trip, but I am sure I would love them.

The boys and I have been doing a yearly early spring bass fishing tent camping trip into the southern states. The fishing to be honest has been pretty bad every single time and the weather also not great. Our best outing I think we had one day we caught 5 largemouth total. But after 3 of the trips (the last one i literally got skunked for bass for 3 straight days) we got absolutely soaked in severe thunderstorms, I for some reason still want to go every year. Ive learned to appreciate taking the boat out in the first week of april while my home lake is still frozen. Wearing shorts and t shirts with the boys is what the trip is about. The fish are just a bonus. Luckily a bit of by-catch has kept it at least somewhat interesting. Ive caught some new species chain pickerel, warmouth, shellcracker, and ive caught a couple of giants a ridiculously huge bowfin, a 20lb blue cat...so those things make it fun too. my buddy caught a  3lb shellcracker last year that was insane.

Like most things, they are what you make of them. Attitude and expectations define your trip. Ive got so many stories, because even the really really bad parts are the best memories and stories to tell in hindsight. 

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 2

I can't afford the fly in trips so I prefer a semi isolated off grid trip. I know of some lakes accessible by ATV that are pretty good for Walleye and Pike. My fall fishing and bird hunting trip was 9 days long and the cost was less than 500 bucks... With any luck I will be hitting Nipigon this spring in a remote cabin looking for big trout and pike.. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

I unfortunately havent had the opportunity to do a fly in outfitter trip, but I am sure I would love them.

The boys and I have been doing a yearly early spring bass fishing tent camping trip into the southern states. The fishing to be honest has been pretty bad every single time and the weather also not great. Our best outing I think we had one day we caught 5 largemouth total. But after 3 of the trips (the last one i literally got skunked for bass for 3 straight days) we got absolutely soaked in severe thunderstorms, I for some reason still want to go every year. Ive learned to appreciate taking the boat out in the first week of april while my home lake is still frozen. Wearing shorts and t shirts with the boys is what the trip is about. The fish are just a bonus. Luckily a bit of by-catch has kept it at least somewhat interesting. Ive caught some new species chain pickerel, warmouth, shellcracker, and ive caught a couple of giants a ridiculously huge bowfin, a 20lb blue cat...so those things make it fun too. my buddy caught a  3lb shellcracker last year that was insane.

Like most things, they are what you make of them. Attitude and expectations define your trip. Ive got so many stories, because even the really really bad parts are the best memories and stories to tell in hindsight. 

My dad and one of my brothers made a trip to Dale Hollow lake for a couple of years in April searching for those 2# plus crappie, one year a tornado had gone thru just before they got there and tore things up and the next year they hit storms again, but not quite as bad. They didn't find crappie, but did catch trout, not what they expected from down south.

The biggest bowfin I have ever seen. in the 20 pound range came at the Pointe, totally unexpected because all the others we had caught were in the 4-6 pound range.

I am bad at multiple quotes but:

I agree that it's the journey not the destination and the people you are with make a lot of difference

Totally check multiple sources, ask for references, spend time on forums like this one.  I find sending people messages directly tends to get you a more honest review vs replying in threads

3rd part of the series will be up on www.nothernjacks.com sometime next week and it's all about how my group researches our trips

On 12/2/2019 at 9:00 PM, chris.brock said:

I actually thrive on that, "take your money and leave you in the outpost".

When the plane drops us off and leaves, I love that feeling of remoteness and isolation, we fend for ourselves, make due with what we have, around the nightly campfire we'll discuss what we need to do to make life easier for the rest of the week, and if we want to come back next year or recommend the place to others. 

I give a bit of grace to the outfitters. Planes are very expensive to fly and maintain and the prices they charge I would consider a bargain.

I couldn't have said it better Chris. On a trip up to the Long Lac area, Klotz Lake camp, we were sent to a back lake where the owner gave us directions down a logging road to where he had stashed 2 tinny's. We carried in the 9.9's, gas etc. We rounded a point and came across a camp where a group of Yanks were. They were surprised to see us because they said they were told it was a fly in lake only. They were not too happy with their outfitter. They were happy though when I told them I would drop off a few cases of Molson's at the top of the path, I could have gouged them but didn't as they were already hurting. 

On 12/5/2019 at 7:08 AM, OhioFisherman said:

With the exception of a long week end camping trip to Rice Lake all of my trips were drive to and cabin or trailer rentals at small cabin rental places. Always a housekeeping plan, I didn't mind cooking, and as a vacation I had no interest in keeping anyone's schedule other than my own. I preferred two week trips over one and the Pointe Au Baril area was isolation enough for me.

I turned down fly in, trips to Lake of the woods, and other long trips here and up north, just not a travel fan.

lol Paul! I think it is a "right of passage" that everyone from Ohio must go to Rice Lake at least once in their lives! As a kid, I remember most of the folks we met there were from Ohio.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rattletrap2 said:

lol Paul! I think it is a "right of passage" that everyone from Ohio must go to Rice Lake at least once in their lives! As a kid, I remember most of the folks we met there were from Ohio.

Brian, I was like 12? a labor day long weekend trip and my last time in a tent. It started raining while we napped after the drive and never stopped.

Changing times? My son is 30, and most of his friends have never been to Canada.

7 hours ago, OhioFisherman said:

Brian, I was like 12? a labor day long weekend trip and my last time in a tent. It started raining while we napped after the drive and never stopped.

Changing times? My son is 30, and most of his friends have never been to Canada.

I think times really are changing! Like you said, the younger ones don't see the value in a trip up here and passports and such are a real pain for some. Anyways, you and yours are welcome anytime! The very attractive exchange rates should draw some people.

On 12/9/2019 at 2:38 PM, Rattletrap2 said:

I would venture a guess and say that 80% or more of our Yank friends that I have met up north from inside the Arctic watershed to the Ottawa River and in between were from Ohio. One oldtimer from near Youngstown trained at camp Pettawawa before going overseas and he came back to the Ottawa River to fish since the war ended until his death in the late 90's. He had stories and they were great to listen to. 

edit: He was from Boardman Ohio and it was a 12 hour plus drive to Westmeath On. . 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

5 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I would venture a guess and say that 80% or more of our Yank friends that I have met up north from inside the Arctic watershed to the Ottawa River and in between were from Ohio. One oldtimer from near Youngstown trained at camp Pettawawa before going overseas and he came back to the Ottawa River to fish since the war ended until his death in the late 90's. He had stories and they were great to listen to. 

edit: He was from Boardman Ohio and it was a 12 hour plus drive to Westmeath On. . 

This made me think of one of our first trips.  We were struggling to catch fish and two gents from Ohio came over and really tried to help us out.  They were the only Americans in the camp

Next trip we were in a different camp where we ate in the lodge with all of the others guests.  As its my nature to talk I was telling the story of the nice Americans a lot when my brother finally pulled me aside and said "stop prefacing that story with Americans all the time, look around the 4 of us are the only Canadians here"  It was true lol - in my mind American guys fishing in Ontario was a rarity but have come to realize over the year that for a lot of camps a huge percentage of their business is from our friends down south

4 hours ago, gordy28 said:

This made me think of one of our first trips.  We were struggling to catch fish and two gents from Ohio came over and really tried to help us out.  They were the only Americans in the camp

Next trip we were in a different camp where we ate in the lodge with all of the others guests.  As its my nature to talk I was telling the story of the nice Americans a lot when my brother finally pulled me aside and said "stop prefacing that story with Americans all the time, look around the 4 of us are the only Canadians here"  It was true lol - in my mind American guys fishing in Ontario was a rarity but have come to realize over the year that for a lot of camps a huge percentage of their business is from our friends down south

I don't see how prefacing the stories with "American's" is something that is I don't know exactly what, uhhh politically incorrect. If it is P.I. I apologize now, take that back I'm not willing to say sorry for something I didn't do. Are we all that sensitive now? I sure as Hell hope not.