Evinrude Etec

Musky Plug

5 hours ago, Garnet said:

Good piece of mind.

If I remember correctly 2007 was when BDR took over OMC.

Before Georges Soros Canadian investor and Roger Penske owned OMC in the late 90's.

They bought a bunch of boat companies mostly a flop.

Bombardier purchased OMC in 2001.  BRP was spun off from Bombardier in 2003.

I have a 225HO G2 at the moment and havent had any issues with it.

My honest opinion is every brand has a bad motor here and there. The ETEC has proven to be pretty good overall. Especially in that horsepower range. I would be more concerned with if you have a dealer close by to service it and if they have a good reputation. They will all break sooner or later.

My advice would be to ask to see service and maintenance invoices for the motor to ensure it has been taken care of as well as to see if there were any major repairs. Secondly, bring it to a dealer and have them do the proper tests to ensure it is still in good condition and see if they can tell you how many hours are on it.

• Like 2

On 12/2/2019 at 10:05 AM, Lape0019 said:

I have a 225HO G2 at the moment and havent had any issues with it.

My honest opinion is every brand has a bad motor here and there. The ETEC has proven to be pretty good overall. Especially in that horsepower range. I would be more concerned with if you have a dealer close by to service it and if they have a good reputation. They will all break sooner or later.

My advice would be to ask to see service and maintenance invoices for the motor to ensure it has been taken care of as well as to see if there were any major repairs. Secondly, bring it to a dealer and have them do the proper tests to ensure it is still in good condition and see if they can tell you how many hours are on it.

There are two Evinrude dealers within driving distance. Both have a fairly decent rep. One is currently where I take my boat now. I understand that everything has a life expectancy. Would like to do my part to make sure it lasts as long as it can. I doubt I would be able to get any maintenance records. 

I did go and view the boat over the weekend. He sounded like he knew about the motor fairly well. Motor was turned on and run sounded ok. I was told that there has never been any major work done to the motor, only small things. He said the "small" things he did but the other jobs it was taken to a mechanic near his cottage for service. So I'm opting to have it looked at for an engine diagnostic. As well as a once over for other boat things that were missed.

Thank you everyone who gave some input. I did end up buying the boat with the 90hp Evinrude Etec. I did have it looked at buy a Evinrude dealer and I was told overall the boat and motor are in good condition considering the age. The only thing that needs to be replaced is the impeller as it is original, other than that everything was good. This is the report from the dealer, if there's anything else I should know, please let me know. Thanks 

image1.jpeg.34c22056267dc3a283dc4a879f7ef8dd.jpegimage0.jpeg.8192c51962582924159d100259f3f7ba.jpeg

Edited by Musky Plug

3 hours ago, captpierre said:

Kind of neglectful to have never changed the impeller.  Good thing he didn’t have to change oil/filter. Hope he looked after lower unit. 

Yes, I thought so but the place that I brought it said that it wasn't that big a job. The lower unit was also looked at, I was told that all was good with it. 

17 hours ago, Musky Plug said:

Yes, I thought so but the place that I brought it said that it wasn't that big a job. The lower unit was also looked at, I was told that all was good with it. 

People go a little crazy about impellers. It really depends on the types of lakes you run the boat in when talking about when to change it. If you fish the kawarthas you need to be changing that thing regularly. If you mainly fish open water on the shield  Lakes you can definitely push replacement intervals out a little longer. The rubber does degrade over time so eventually they need to be changed, but in general if you are fishing clear rocky lakes and not running your motor through the junk, rice, grass, slop and mud like on the kawarthas all of the time you should be good to go.

• Like 2

Congrats ont he purchase. From what I understand of the paperwork, looks like a pretty decent purchase. An impeller is very little cost and it doesn't look like there were any high temp codes popped so it isn't like it needed a new one. Now that you have it though, may as well change it out for piece of mind.

21 minutes ago, Lape0019 said:

Congrats ont he purchase. From what I understand of the paperwork, looks like a pretty decent purchase. An impeller is very little cost and it doesn't look like there were any high temp codes popped so it isn't like it needed a new one. Now that you have it though, may as well change it out for piece of mind.

definitely take the time to learn to replace your impeller. If you are handy at all you can figure it out and the winter is the best time to learn! 

I learned how to do mine on youtube!

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 1