Evinrude Etec

Musky Plug

Hey all, 

Looking at a boat with an 90hp Evinrude Etec. Does anyone own one or have any experience with these motors? I have read very mixed reviews online regarding these motors and have no experience with them personally. Would be used for mainly driving but also from trolling. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by Musky Plug

Family friend has an e tech and has had electrical issues with it. We owned a 94 Johnson v4 and it also died due to consistent electrical problems, it’s somewhat more irrelevant though because it’s not the same motor, just the same company. Their reliability from personal experience and those of my friends that use evinrude, mercury, yamaha, Honda and suzuki I would rank them last in reliability. Performance is good though.

Edited by AKRISONER

4 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

What year?....i have 2 on my boat a 250 with 765 hours on it, I have had some issues with it but it gets used and my kicker which is a 15, and it has 2000 hours on it. They are the 2010 year. The new G2 are excellent. I do like the motors.

It’s a 2005 motor. Unsure about the amount of hours on it. Would it be a bad idea to troll with a 2 stroke motor of that size? 

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

Family friend has an e tech and has had electrical issues with it. We owned a 94 Johnson v4 and it also died due to consistent electrical problems, it’s somewhat more irrelevant though because it’s not the same motor, just the same company. Their reliability from personal experience and those of my friends that use evinrude, mercury, yamaha, Honda and suzuki I would rank them last in reliability. Performance is good though.

Yes, been reading a lot about the motors. Some good some bad. The reviews seem to be mostly one sided but then again you will hear more bad then good. 

1 hour ago, OhioFisherman said:

What engine was causing all the problems for OMC years ago?

26 minutes ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

I think it was the oil injection on their V4 models back in the day.

I believe those were the Fict or Ficht motors? The were made until the early 2000’s, then BRP bought the company. The one that is on the boat I’m looking at is a BRP motor. 

• Like 1

I have a 115 etec and it has been awesome. This year I had an injector fail that cast me $400 but part was easily accessible and was fixed quick.

Other than that it has performed amazingly since i put it on in 2011. 

It will troll down to  1.8mph without a sock and purrs like a kitten.

I have a 9.9 kicker I use just to keep the hours off the 115. Quiet and a great hole shot.

Love my etec and gas mileage is excellent. 

I have a 2009 Etec 75 tiller (pretty much the same as the 90). It has been great for me for the last 4 years as the second owner. That said I am also very easy on it spending my time on a lot of smaller lakes. I have 0 complaints thus far and really like the motor. Lots of power, quiet, fuel efficient. But I am sure there are also lemons out there!

1 hour ago, Rustic-Fisher said:

I’ve got a 2017 90hp on my 1650 Rebel

Love it so far ! Hole shot is great and can also attest to Amazing fuel consumption .

Also love the self winterizing feature .

Only 25hrs on it but no complaints .

Buddies also run them with very few issues . 

Have you trolled with the motor? if so how was the performance? 

I would say ike any motor you could troll with it if you don't have a kicker, but your putting hours on your motor . As i mentioned i have a lot of hours on my big motor which i don't really understand, my typical day my motor gets run for 20 minutes and then my kicker runs for 6 hours yet i have 765 hours on it and 2000 on my 15 which doesnt add up. I have the NMEA cable to my 250 and can track my hours on my screen and with the motor off theclock stops? Doubt you will be disappointed. 

7 minutes ago, John Bacon said:

Wasn't OMC long gone by 2008?  I think the major problems with the Ficht motors was more in the 90s.

Yes I had my dates mixed up. From what I understand when OMC was taken over from BRP, which was due to the performance issues of the 150 and up Ficht, BRP redesigned the fuel system. I believe the fuel system was the reason they were catching fire. They scrapped the ficht,  came up with the next generation they called the etec and put in a similar fuel delivery system they designed for use in NASA'S rockets.

Have a 2017 Etech 90hp HO and absolutely love it, great on gas, amazing hole shot and I got a 10 year warranty so  piece of mind.

I am not here to bash any other brands but I wouldn't give to much credit to the " I have a friend" or "I know a guy with this engine" type comments as usually those people dont have all the details on what the issues was and more importantly what caused it.

My previous motor was a 1999 Johnson 50hp and that motor ran like a champ from the day I got it till the day I sold it...

Hope this helps, any questions and you can PM me.

Scott

25 minutes ago, Therealgooseman said:

I am not here to bash any other brands but I wouldn't give to much credit to the " I have a friend" or "I know a guy with this engine" type comments as usually those people dont have all the details on what the issues was and more importantly what caused it.

I am only speaking from light experience because I have had to tow the guys home off of the lake lol. I absolutely dont know the specifics of the issues its none of my business but I do know ive towed them off of the lake 2 times in the past 6 years lol.

6 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

I am only speaking from light experience because I have had to tow the guys home off of the lake lol. I absolutely dont know the specifics of the issues its none of my business but I do know ive towed them off of the lake 2 times in the past 6 years lol.

I've had to be towed in twice now.

It really sucks but both times it was not the engines fault.

First time was water in the fuel after the unfortunate sinking incident and the second time it was a damaged seal on the connector for my auxillary tank that I have been running off while waiting for the last of the water to evaporate out of my main tank. 😒

3 hours ago, Therealgooseman said:

Have a 2017 Etech 90hp HO and absolutely love it, great on gas, amazing hole shot and I got a 10 year warranty so  piece of mind.

My previous motor was a 1999 Johnson 50hp and that motor ran like a champ from the day I got it till the day I sold it...

Hope this helps, any questions and you can PM me.

Scott

Just asking for any information as none of my friends who have boats have Etec's. All are Yami or Merc. 

Thank you Scott, appreciate it. 👊

On 11/28/2019 at 9:23 AM, Garnet said:

Parts for older Etec not available.

I know a guy that sold very nice bass boat because no Etec parts.

I called my local marine dealer. Told me they could get parts for the motor..

On 11/28/2019 at 6:48 AM, Yellow Fever said:

I would say ike any motor you could troll with it if you don't have a kicker, but your putting hours on your motor . As i mentioned i have a lot of hours on my big motor which i don't really understand, my typical day my motor gets run for 20 minutes and then my kicker runs for 6 hours yet i have 765 hours on it and 2000 on my 15 which doesnt add up. I have the NMEA cable to my 250 and can track my hours on my screen and with the motor off theclock stops? Doubt you will be disappointed. 

Thanks. Yes, I totally agree that the main shouldn't be used but a kicker isn't in the budget right now.