Paypal scam??

SirCranksalot

I bought tix on line using Paypal. QA few days later I got a txt msg saying that my payment had not gone thru and to log on to the seller's site and pay again. I phoned the venue and they said everything was hunky dory---payment had gone thru. My basic question--what the hell?? Also curious how they got my cell #. 

Things are changing, I've been buying on line for years and never had an issue. However it seems you have to be really careful these days buying on line.

I just had an incident where I made a purchase through Facebook, my bill showed on line at $4.83 including taxes and freight so I hit "process payment".

Then I got an email telling me my payment of $81.00 had been approved, I immediately sent an email telling them to cancel my order, they replied that the order had already been shipped. I called my credit card company and started a dispute. When I checked my credit card statement two days later I had been billed $87.90. The credit card company has told me not to pay it and they are disputing the charge. That will be the last time I buy anything through Facebook.

Edited by Big Cliff

I'd say coincidence that you happened to pay something with Paypal and you got a text saying your payment hadn't gone through. Seeing probably 70% of the population is using PP to buy stuff not a stretch to try and catch someone with "your payment didn't go through.. try again". If you opened it, you could get a job as the Treasurer for Tay township..... B)

Edited by irishfield
  • Haha 1

I got rid of PayPal about 3-4 years back when. I hadn't even used it in quite a while (years) then I got an email saying I withdrew money from my bank account into my PayPal account. First I thought the email was a scam but it was actually sent from PayPal. So I logged on and sure enough, someone had hacked my PayPal, tried to take $500 from my bank account (in $100 increments, so 5 different transactions) so I contacted the bank and PayPal and got a hold put on my accounts and they reversed the transaction, then I deleted my PayPal account. They were then going to send my money to whatever "company" they had set up. 

So many pieces of trash out there, it's usually elderly people that get taken in these scams. If there's a hell I hope they rot in it. 

4 hours ago, Dontcryformejanhrdina said:

So many pieces of trash out there, it's usually elderly people that get taken in these scams. If there's a hell I hope they rot in it. 

I would like to see them arrive at that destination ASAP!! 

Hmmm---now I'm puzzled as to what to do. Several people on here recommended using Paypal rather than a credit card on-line as, the way I understood it) offering better protection.

I never had a problem before either, maybe I was targeted because I hadn't had any activity for a while and they thought they could sneak out money before I noticed. Nothing is completely safe anymore. Even keeping cash, you can experience a good old fashioned mugging. At least back in the old days, crooks had to physically rob you (or get elected). Nowadays, these lazy ****ers can't even get off the couch to rob you. Even the thieves are going soft. 

• Like 1

The internet has become a barrage of attempted daily scams. I've had several credit cards compromised. I get daily emails that are waiting for me to slip up or click a link. One of my friends just got taken by a netflix scam. The internet seems like a dark alley that some ppl get lead into.

• Like 1

I have a paypal account and it is fine. I make a lot of purchases with it and have it tied to a credit card. I do not have it tied into my bank account because of the possibility of them getting into my money. If you do want to sell on E bay or some of  the other platforms it is better to just open a bank account that has just a minimum of money in it. 

Art

• Like 1