Drones for videos and pics

captpierre

I have a DJI Spark but it has been discontinued.

Works great and gets great pics and video.

It's replacement is the brand new Mavic Mini which is even better and priced right @ $460 CAD.

It's also under the 250gm limit so you don't need to license it.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/collection/dji-mavic-mini/262138

68505367_3543215669038080_38202037757636

Edited by DRIFTER_016

6 minutes ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

I have a DJI Spark but it has been discontinued.

Works great and gets great pics and video.

It's replacement is the brand new Mavic Mini which is even better and priced right @ $460 CAD.

It's also under the 250 limit so you don't need to license it.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/collection/dji-mavic-mini/262138

Looks good. Thanks. 

Didnt know about the 250 g issue. 

4 hours ago, Jon said:

I too have a Spark, which was a great drone until it got a little wet. The Mavic Mini looks like a better value and the sub-250g is an added bonus. Get the Fly More combo - you'll appreciate the extra batteries immediately.

Yup, I have not used my Mavic Pro since they decided to practically crimiNalize drones over 250g. I intend to jump through all the hoops to fly legally, but what a load of Bull for someone living in the wilderness, I agree with the restrictions around airports etc, but holy man, way to kill the fun out of using your drone!

21 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

That's serious stuff

It's almost become a competition with me and the local charter base to see how many we can hit! That and we have guys flying R/C float planes in the channel between us and the Provincial Park.. that is also illegal !

5 minutes ago, irishfield said:

It's almost become a competition with me and the local charter base to see how many we can hit! That and we have guys flying R/C float planes in the channel between us and the Provincial Park.. that is also illegal !

Mount a .22 gatling gun on your plane. ;)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, irishfield said:

Yes that's highly illegal, those guys are probably not charter club members that would frown on that practice.  There's other puddles they can infest.

• Like 1

Licensing for new "toys" has been around since almost forever. It was only after the novelty of driving a car became the norm; that in 1927 a driver needed an operators driver's license. Back in 1909 they needed a chauffeurs license, if driving was your means of making a living. (Truck drivers)

So a device like a drone that can be a safety or a privacy issue; is for sure going to have legislation and licensing towards their uses.  

Dan.

Edited by DanD

2 hours ago, DanD said:

Licensing for new "toys" has been around since almost forever. It was only after the novelty of driving a car became the norm; that in 1927 a driver needed an operators driver's license. Back in 1909 they needed a chauffeurs license, if driving was your means of making a living. (Truck drivers)

So a device like a drone that can be a safety or a privacy issue; is for sure going to have legislation and licensing towards their uses.  

Dan.

Absolutely, good points. I think the privacy issue is interesting. So many of the complaints I hear from people about their privacy being invaded by a drone make me scratch my head though (no, I don't have fleas). Personally I don't have any interest in filming people, they are boring....lol.....but understand that others could and would you a drone for that purpose. Having said that, we are voluntarily giving away our private/personal info daily (Facebook, web browsing, loyalty cards, credit cards, algorithms that now what i'm thinking before I do and post ads accordingly on this platform) cctv is everywhere, everyone has a phone with a camera and can take pictures and video of anyone and anything in an instant, a drone flying across my bay is the last of my worries....lol.

1 hour ago, limeyangler said:

Absolutely, good points. I think the privacy issue is interesting. So many of the complaints I hear from people about their privacy being invaded by a drone make me scratch my head though (no, I don't have fleas). Personally I don't have any interest in filming people, they are boring....lol.....but understand that others could and would you a drone for that purpose. Having said that, we are voluntarily giving away our private/personal info daily (Facebook, web browsing, loyalty cards, credit cards, algorithms that now what i'm thinking before I do and post ads accordingly on this platform) cctv is everywhere, everyone has a phone with a camera and can take pictures and video of anyone and anything in an instant, a drone flying across my bay is the last of my worries....lol.

Agreed Simon! Other than shots of family at gatherings and such, I have no interest in video of people! I can see why flying one over a crowd of strangers can present a problem though. Privacy and also the liability should the thing crash.

1 hour ago, Rattletrap2 said:

Agreed Simon! Other than shots of family at gatherings and such, I have no interest in video of people! I can see why flying one over a crowd of strangers can present a problem though. Privacy and also the liability should the thing crash.

Regulations also state you must not fly within 75m of people, vehicles etc.