New signage Barrie marina

misfish

1 hour ago, misfish said:

Seen this. Interesting . I guess the minnow harvester had something to do with this happening.

They are on every gate to the docks as well.

Wonder if this means no ice fishing as well ?

DSCF5062.JPG.dded09c22bdc73e4f36201a6826bacc9.JPG

If you can access the ice without using the docks I wonder if they will chase you away.  Maybe Barrie "owns" the inner harbour area.

The groom above just got himself a keeper.

About 15 years ago they posted "NO FISHING" signs on the Port Dover pier here on Lake Erie. It is packed with pier fisher people looking for Perch from ice out to fall.Not everyone is blessed to have a boat.  I stirred the pot locally and there was actually a protest and people showed up. I don't think there is anything better to me than to see a few kids riding their bikes with a rod and reel strapped to their back. Better fishing than hanging around the Mall or in front of an X Box. They took the signs down. The Feds said it was a liability issue. I guess only fisher persons fall into the water let alone the kids that dive off the end of the pier at any given time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Ironmaker said:

The groom above just got himself a keeper.

About 15 years ago they posted "NO FISHING" signs on the Port Dover pier here on Lake Erie. It is packed with pier fisher people looking for Perch from ice out to fall.Not everyone is blessed to have a boat.  I stirred the pot locally and there was actually a protest and people showed up. I don't think there is anything better to me than to see a few kids riding their bikes with a rod and reel strapped to their back. Better fishing than hanging around the Mall or in front of an X Box. They took the signs down. The Feds said it was a liability issue. I guess only fisher persons fall into the water let alone the kids that dive off the end of the pier at any given time. 

Always said, a kid with a fishing rod isn't robbing granny or grandpas.

• Like 2

My reply from the city

Thank you for your inquiry.

The City of Barrie Marina has maintained a No Fishing policy during the operating season for many years.

These specific signs are to discourage fishing and minnow harvesting from the Marina docks specifically. The docks are City property, and only those with and MNR issued Commercial Bait Harvesting Licence and permitted by the City may access the Marina docks in the non-boating season.

You are free to ice fish anywhere on the Lake, but we ask that you not walk or access our docks while doing so.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, misfish said:

My reply from the city

The City of Barrie Marina has maintained a No Fishing policy during the operating season for many years.

These specific signs are to discourage fishing and minnow harvesting from the Marina docks specifically. The docks are City property, and only those with and MNR issued Commercial Bait Harvesting Licence and permitted by the City may access the Marina docks in the non-boating season.

You are free to ice fish anywhere on the Lake, but we ask that you not walk or access our docks while doing so.

Hmmm? First they banned non residents from catching their own bait, now it has progressed to residents? As a citizen in possession of a valid license should you not be entitled to catch your own bait anywhere a commercial netter is allowed?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, misfish said:

My reply from the city

Thanks for posting.

On 11/17/2019 at 10:44 AM, misfish said:

Speaking of ice, slush ice going down the river and the shore line is froze out 8 ft where I was this morning. Not a good start for my river fishing holidays. LOL

Might need to get all my ice gear and check out some crappy lakes.

I think someone had their hut out on Cook's bay for the weekend so it must be safe /s

I saw a boat out on Kempenfelt bay this morning.