So long Grapes.

captpierre

"You People" "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." -G.K. Chesterton Hundreds of thousands of Canadian soldiers have given their lives in the last century for "you people" to live in this great country. On November 11th we pay tribute to their sacrifice and remember the soldiers who made our freedom; including the freedom of speech, possible. It is because of them that "you people" can write whatever it is you wish on social media, it is because of them "you people" are free to express and follow whichever religion, sexuality, belief or ideal you choose to; free of persecution. On November 9th 2019 Don Cherry spoke the words: "You people... you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey, at least you can pay a couple bucks for a poppy or something like that. These guys paid for your way of life that you enjoy in Canada, these guys paid the biggest price." He is not wrong. The words "you people" don't translate to "immigrants" in my vocabulary. But it did for the tens of thousands who brought their complaints to the attention of SportsNet and multiple social media platforms. "You people" to me represents ANYONE who enjoys the freedom we are given in Canada without a second thought about the cost of that freedom. "You people" targets those with a total disregard for how we pay our respects to our servicemen. Don Cherry was not disrespecting Canadian soldiers of different ethnicities. His comment was directed to ANYONE purposefully not wearing a poppy but enjoying the freedoms our country provides. However, if you were one of the humans who got offended and saw it as "racist" or "xenophobic" all I can say is... ....if the skate fits, go ahead and lace that b*tch up and wear it. We have a Prime Minister who openly mocks minorities with countless "black face" party tricks. He has discriminated against and disgraced women in his cabinet and breaks promise after promise to our aboriginal population. But a true Canadian PATRIOT rather un-gently encourages the public to wear poppies in remembrance of veteran sacrifice and he is fired from an iconic career. I ask anyone who was offended by Don Cherry's words to walk down to your local Legion right now and ask a veteran why they did what they did. When the vet is finished explaining, I want you to explain to them why Don Cherry's words offended you personally. You won't. "You people" will have no way to justify your easily offended feelings after hearing a vets selfless response of why they risked their own life for our country and the freedom "you people" take for granted. "You people" owe every Canadian veteran your life, but because of their sacrifice your life will likely never be called for collection. The least "you people" could do is give them your respect. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Yay another political post!

Also good to see the usual Nationalists are out in full force! I wish the nationlists here would understand what Free Speech actually means as laid out by the charter of rights or even the american Constitution but oh well these are the same people who feel an old hockey coach commenting on a hockey broadcast has the right to say or do what he wants on matters not related to hockey without repercussions. 

Edited by Toronto_Angler
  • Like 4

I think some of the problem is lots of people dont wear poppies. But instead of saying Canadians in general aren’t wearing poppies, he singled out immigrants in Mississauga and Brampton. “You people come here and enjoy our milk and honey” 

come on guys, if you can’t see that’s offensive.....

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Tjames09 said:

I think some of the problem is lots of people dont wear poppies. But instead of saying Canadians in general aren’t wearing poppies, he singled out immigrants in Mississauga and Brampton. “You people come here and enjoy our milk and honey” 

OK I guess I see it now but isn't disrepecting the vets of our country by not wearing a poppy offensive? Maybe we need to do a better job informing the public as to the significance of poppies. We used to have an hour long assembly in our high school every year. I bet that isn't done anymore.

3 hours ago, dave524 said:

He number 7 👍 on the list of the most admired Canadians  and that list is quite lib/left biased as David Suzuki and Pierre Trudeau are above him.

I may have misinterpreted you statement above. He is the polar opposite of left wing bleeding hearts. Under Ontario labour law what he said is an offence that could result in discipline up to and including dismissal. That's just the way it is, agree or not agree. My opinion doesn't matter here, it mattered in the voting booth. There has always been a 49/49 split in left, right politics here in Canada and most democratic societies as well. It's the other 2% that determines who the governing party will be. 

It's pretty clear... "you people"... "love our milk and honey"... is going to be perceived as racist. Even if it wasn't intended to be (hard to believe that). I can respect his point about wearing poppies and acknowledgment but he crossed the line. He should just eat his pride on this one and own up to his poor choice of words. Unfortunate but he doesn't get a free pass. I feel bad for Ron though caught up in this, he was probably half listening and getting cued in his ear to cut to commercials or something and gave his standard thumbs up without really clueing in.

• Like 4

My take on Ron's reaction was that he agreed with Don and did not see Don's intention as being racist, just Don using his limited education and vocabulary to get a point across. I think he knows Don better than any of us.

If you look for racism, you will find it, but I think Don's intention was to bring to light the fact that too many people don't appreciate the life they have here or the sacrifices made by others to maintain that lifestyle.

I also think that SportsNet was already looking for reason to let Don go... much easier to let him go, then let him still the pot.

HH

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Toronto_Angler said:

Yay another political post!

Also good to see the usual Nationalists are out in full force! I wish the nationlists here would understand what Free Speech actually means as laid out by the charter of rights or even the american Constitution but oh well these are the same people who feel an old hockey coach commenting on a hockey broadcast has the right to say or do what he wants on matters not related to hockey without repercussions. 

Well said.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Headhunter said:

My take on Ron's reaction was that he agreed with Don and did not see Don's intention as being racist, just Don using his limited education and vocabulary to get a point across. I think he knows Don better than any of us.

If you look for racism, you will find it, but I think Don's intention was to bring to light the fact that too many people don't appreciate the life they have here or the sacrifices made by others to maintain that lifestyle.

I also think that SportsNet was already looking for reason to let Don go... much easier to let him go, then let him still the pot.

HH

Don’s intention was to say people he thinks are immigrants don’t wear poppies. How do we know this? He stood by what he said. You can’t go back and spin what he said to make it more palatable. He refused to apologize and is now gone. I’m not even going to get into why he thinks the people he sees are immigrants. 

The surprising thing is that after he’s said about Europeans, indigenous people, etc it was a poppy that got him fired. 

Edited by zenon11
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dave524 said:

He number 7 👍 on the list of the most admired Canadians  and that list is quite lib/left biased as David Suzuki and Pierre Trudeau are above him.

Whatever that means. Voted by whom?? Not on my list and never was. Like I said, do I have to go to church to prove that I believe in God? NO!! I don't have to wear a poppy to prove that I remember the sacrifice. I lost two uncles to the Germans in world war two. So yeah I pay my respects to all who fought and I bought a poppy. Now this thread is turning into attacking the left by the right. Stick to the subject of Don Cherry and nothing else. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tjames09 said:

Some on here will not see that as offensive. SAD

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Headhunter said:

Talk is that Brian Burke will be taking over Coaches Corner...

HH

response to you from the Hockey thread. 

The veterans are doing much better now with the current government in place. A lot of veterans affairs offices that were closed done by the previous government, not the one from 2015 to 2019, but the one before that, were reopened. It is not apples and oranges. You do not have to go to church to prove religion just as much as not wearing a poppy is not disrespectful to the fallen. If you take the two minutes in silence each Nov 11 and think and pray for the fallen then you have done much more than a dude who buys a poppy just so he looks good while wearing it. " LOOK AT ME!! I BOUGHT A POPPY!! I AM A GOOD MAN!!! LOL means nothing if you do not show reverence..

As an American, I see racism everyday across all ethnic and racial sectors...and it flows in all directions, make no doubt about it. 

Help me out...I don't understand the contention with the 'milk and honey' reference. In most cases, it implies a position of comfort and the good life, as in "here in the land of milk and honey". If immigrants are coming to enjoy 'the good life' in another place, well I guess that's why they left their home and what they perceived as a 'not so good life'. Fair enough...borders are still open last I checked. As long as they do it legally, I have no issue with it. 

My guess is there is a perception he's targeting a sector of people (not all peoples), but not living there I'm not sure who that may be. 

Hey...life's hard enough...live and let live. Show respect for those who have sacrificed for you...no matter who that may be or what they may be doing for you today or have done for you in the past. It's not political or racial...it's human. 

• Like 1

•  
1 hour ago, Headhunter said:

Talk is that Brian Burke will be taking over Coaches Corner...

HH

response to you from the Hockey thread. 

The veterans are doing much better now with the current government in place.

I don't believe that for one second. They are just getting dicked around by another group in power....you also chose to ignore my point about poppies being used for fund raising.

HH

10 hours ago, Tjames09 said:

It's only offensive to the easily offended. I say to them grow a backbone and get over it.

By FAR most of the comments I've seen on social media totally support him, one petition had over 60K signatures. Tons of the comments are also about dropping sportsnet  from their tv packages and switching their phone packages from Rogers. Rogers is likely going to take a big hit financially and it looks good on them for succumbing to all the lefty hypocrites.

• Like 4