So long Grapes.

captpierre

21 hours ago, SirCranksalot said:

IMG_0047.JPG

I understand the freedom of expression portion of the charter doesn't protect his job but in court one could make the argument that his section 7 charter right of life was ignored by his dismissal for his comments. Long stretch I know but it may lead to a substantial settlement ...... worked for Omar Khadr.

1 hour ago, Jmeyer said:

I understand the freedom of expression portion of the charter doesn't protect his job but in court one could make the argument that his section 7 charter right of life was ignored by his dismissal for his comments. Long stretch I know but it may lead to a substantial settlement ...... worked for Omar Khadr.

It’s not even a long stretch, it’s not even applicable as the legislation pertains to protection from actions of a government. And what actions of government did Omar challenge in the Supreme Court? 

In summarizing the wrongs committed against Khadr, the Supreme Court said “the interrogation of a youth detained without access to counsel, to elicit statements about serious criminal charges while knowing that the youth had been subjected to sleep deprivation... offends the most basic Canadian standards about the treatment of detained youth suspects.”

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, limeyangler said:

It’s not even a long stretch, it’s not even applicable as the legislation pertains to protection from actions of a government. And what actions of government did Omar challenge in the Supreme Court? 

In summarizing the wrongs committed against Khadr, the Supreme Court said “the interrogation of a youth detained without access to counsel, to elicit statements about serious criminal charges while knowing that the youth had been subjected to sleep deprivation... offends the most basic Canadian standards about the treatment of detained youth suspects.”

a little topic drift, eh???

34 minutes ago, limeyangler said:

He didn't have to challenge it the government settled, which is what I suggested cherry to do with sportsnet not the government. As far as the wrongs committed against Khadr I'm sure some of the veterans that fought for this country (not against)  Cherry was defending went through far worse without a 10 million dollar payday. I wonder if Omar bought a poppy? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jmeyer said:

He didn't have to challenge it the government settled, which is what I suggested cherry to do with sportsnet not the government. As far as the wrongs committed against Khadr I'm sure some of the veterans that fought for this country (not against)  Cherry was defending went through far worse without a 10 million dollar payday. I wonder if Omar bought a poppy? 

Cherry could challenge in court, just not through the avenues you mentioned. Omar Khadr won his case because the Supreme Court seemed the Government to be in breach of laws that protect the freedoms of every Canadian, the very freedoms that people continue to sacrifice their lives for. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, wkrp said:

I just don't understand why he went there. he should have stuck to hockey which is what Coaches Corner  is all about and without any doubt he is absolutely the hockey Guru of our time.  He FD up big time

Strange that nobody complained for the last 30 years when he visited Belgium, France and countless cenotaphs here in Canada. Or, did tributes to fallen Canadian soldiers on Coaches Corner. Or did Remembrance Day segments every single year during Coaches Corner. 

So last week he said something that offended the pc crowd a bit and that was enough to undo decades of devotion to Canadian soldiers???  Give me a break...name another Canadian celebrity host that honoured the Canadian military sacrifice 1/10th as much a Don Cherry did. 

He had EVERY right to go there. That show was HIS and if the networks wanted it to be 100% hockey...they're 30 years too damn late to whine about it now.

• Like 8

On 11/17/2019 at 4:29 PM, grimsbylander said:

Strange that nobody complained for the last 30 years when he visited Belgium, France and countless cenotaphs here in Canada. Or, did tributes to fallen Canadian soldiers on Coaches Corner. Or did Remembrance Day segments every single year during Coaches Corner. 

There was nothing to complain about Grimsby because he didn't go off script and I'm sure he was paid handsomely to make all these trips. I don't think Mr. Cherry reached into his pocket once during any of those visits. And he was definitely being paid to recognize Remembrance Day while on TV and he did a good job doing it and I enjoyed it. I wonder if Don Cherry ever considered Military service when he was a young man? 

From Coaches Corner to Omar Kadre now? Talk about a stretch Limey Angler, you surprised me. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

2 hours ago, SirCranksalot said:

Correction, OI. It was Jmeyer, not LA, who made that leap.

Guilty I am, sorry fellas I got off track with the charter talk. I'm was never a huge cherry fan but firing a colour commentator for colour in the comments speaks to the sick  political climate these days. The pc crowd is going to far and screeming racist to end a debate is destructive and cowardly. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

There was nothing to complain about Grimsby because he didn't go off script and I'm sure he was paid handsomely to make all these trips. I don't think Mr. Cherry reached into his pocket once during any of those visits. And he was definitely being paid to recognize Remembrance Day while on TV and he did a good job doing it and I enjoyed it.

I don't buy that OI.

I'm not going to search through videos, but I can remember Cherry getting choked up a few times over the years when he's commemorating a soldier or veteran. I've watched coaches corner forever, I think it's genuine, from the heart, it's a topic he's passionate about, and rightfully so.

my take on this- "you people" referred to people who are new to Canada. New Canadians are from all continents, hundreds of different countries, and have every possible skin colour, white, purple, whatever. 

I don't think there's anything wrong with Don asking them to show some respect and appreciation for the older generations of new Canadians and Indigenous people who DIED, GAVE THEIR LIVES in war, so now we can all enjoy this great country.

I find it sad that Cherry who stood up for a lot great causes, and was a proud Canadian, will now go down in shame because of political climate crap. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, chris.brock said:

my take on this- "you people" referred to people who are new to Canada. New Canadians are from all continents, hundreds of different countries, and have every possible skin colour, white, purple, whatever. 

So where did he get the idea that fewer immigrants wear poppies than those born here? 

1OdIdZgM_bigger.jpgMark CritchVerified account @markcritch
FollowFollow @markcritch
More

Re: Don Cherry - I’m at a Costco In St Johns. It’s whiter than a snow bank. Hundreds here but I’ve only counted 7 poppies so far. The problem isn’t “you people”. It’s “we people.” #remberanceday PS you can buy poppies here. Even in bulk.

11:08 AM - 10 Nov 2019

• Like 1