So long Grapes.

captpierre

36 minutes ago, Terry said:

ok

here is my problem

seems I don’t understand the new meaning of words ,is it because I am old or because I am a wasp

but when I say “you people”. I mean the people I am talking to or about

when I say “immigrant “. I mean someone who has come to this country

to me it is non gender, non political, non religious , no race , no language implied  nor country of origin 

but some people seem to think they are talking directly at them

It to me  it is what it is   
maybe it is time for  a new dictionary 

Terry, Don said the following, exactly: "you people that come here, you love your way of life, you love our milk and honey". 

That is easily and reasonably interpreted as being pointed to immigrants.

That's why Don himself said he regrets using those words: 

1 hour ago, BillM said:

...and there it is.   Everyone has their own interpretation of what Don said.   Of course the snowflakes that are so sensitive to absolutely everything will jump on this and think it's racist.  Perhaps they should look up the word racist and read it's definition before using it in a sentence.   

What is your definition of a snowflake there Bill?

8 minutes ago, Terry said:

Don said that 

I missed that part of his rant

so if he said that ,he could well be a racist 

Funny how the NP leaves out the important words and replaces them with .....

image.png.9b12a38c67a2b391b21ca93c9aede7c8.png

what he actually said.

image.png.8e4f1acb352080769e3eca28bad51a8a.png

So the you people that come here is not directed towards white immigrants Terry. If we were a country that only took in whites then he would have never stated this. He himself said that he chose the wrong words. He stated  that he should have said everyone.

Just now, DRIFTER_016 said:

Please show me where in his words he stated black or brown people.

You can't because he never said it, you inferred it.

You need to get out more there drifter. You know that is what he implied and you are just playing games. He sure as sugar wasn't talking about white folks. Or maybe your area of Canada doesn't have the diversity that we have here in southern Ontario,

Just now, Squid said:

You need to get out more there drifter. You know that is what he implied and you are just playing games. He sure as sugar wasn't talking about white folks. Or maybe your area of Canada doesn't have the diversity that we have here in southern Ontario,

I grew up in Southern Ontario and only moved in 2006.

Don't presume to know me or my beliefs.

Might be time to shut this thread down before it goes further down the rabbit hole.

15 minutes ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

Might be time to shut this thread down before it goes further down the rabbit hole.

The thread should've actually been shut down a while ago. Not sure why we have rules against political posts but some are allowed and some aren't. 

24 minutes ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

wasn't talking about your beliefs. things have changed quite a bit here since 2006 and more so since trump took over. The point is you are not aware of how this area is these days since you have been gone for 13 years. Again, you are just playing games. 

15 minutes ago, Terry said:

I still don’t see anything that makes me think he was talking about people of colour 

I guess you can read anything you want into just about anything 

Terry, do you honestly believe that Cherry was talking at white people when he made those comments??

4 minutes ago, Terry said:

I , when I heard it 100%. Thought he was taking about  immigrants  I did not put a colour race or gender to the word immigrant

and I believe a lot of people posting here think the same 

Have to agree with that. Don never mentioned or implied color/race. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Sterling said:

Have to agree with that. Don never mentioned or implied color/race. 

How did he recognise those people in Mississauga and Toronto as “you people that come here” then? Were they wearing a badge with ‘New Canadian” on it where the poppy should have been? Of course not, he recognised them by the colour of their skin. It’s interesting how people are racist these days. If I don’t say Black but use other ways of saying it I then have plausible deniability. I can say it’s not about race, or race is not an issue and claim the universality of human experience and then turn things upside down and say because the accuser of racism talked about skin colour they are in fact the racist. What is the purpose of this? To shut down the conversation and neutralise any argument that racism exists and maintain the status quo, a status quo in which there is a huge power imbalance that benefits one group and denies others purely on the basis of skin color. I remember as a kid I was stopped by the police and asked for my immigration documents! I had a broad English accent then as now, why did the cop assume I was not from England? This still happens today, coded language is key. I get asked all the time, where are you from? You tell the person and the reply is, “ no, I mean where are you really/ originally from?” These are just examples of frequent reoccurring microaggressions experienced by people of color, we are well aware of the ways in which racism manifests without saying black, brown etc.. etc. Being reminded daily of one’s ‘otherness’ is the commonly shared experience of people of colour, of course if you don’t experience this it might be hard to see or believe it is the reality for some, to be told that my actual experience and my actual identity don’t exist and I only believe it because I’m a “ snowflake” is just insult to injury.

Edited by limeyangler
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Squid said:

NO HE WASN''T TALKING ABOUT YOUR DAD UNLESS HE IS BLACK OR BROWN!!

So you classify 'New comers' and 'You people' as black/brown?   What about the Polish, Italian or Irish guy that just got off the boat 3 weeks ago?  Doesn't fit either one of those descriptions?  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, limeyangler said:

How did he recognise those people in Mississauga and Toronto as “you people that come here” then? 

Likely by their appearance and skin color.

I was merely correcting previous posts claiming Don had said something about skin color. 

• Like 1