So long Grapes.

captpierre

2 hours ago, Toronto_Angler said:

If only the mods would stick to the no political posts rule. Love talking fishing here. Hate talking politics. I mean there are a million toxic political boards for that. Fishing is my escape from that garbage but it seems that the toxic political talk takes that away here.

I have to agree with you here. I was probably part of some of the more contentious threads that got the "No political threads" rule implemented in the first place.  Since then I have dutifully avoided commenting in the political threads while watching everyone else carry on as usual.

What is the point of a "no political threads" rule if in actual practice it's a "post Politics all you want and it will be locked after everyone is divided about the subject" rule? 

Either allow political threads or don't, but the half measure is doing just as much damage as not having the rule at all imo.

I'm going back to not posting in these threads this is just food for thought for the mods.

• Like 1

When discussing topics like this, I always like to keep in mind that I was just "luck of the universe" not born into a war-torn country. I could've very easily been born in Afghanistan, escaped in desperation with my family, and ended up in Canada, rather than being lucky enough to be born here. Nothing more than luck that I was born to my parents and not another set of parents. Many of the people immigrating have experienced war firsthand, and live with the memories every day. I'm not going to fault someone coming from a situation I know nothing about for either not being aware of the meaning of a poppy, or choosing not to wear it because they just came from war and choose not to relive it.

I was born here, I'm certainly aware of how pivotal our veterans were in Canada BEING such a great country, so I'll wear a poppy every year and make sure I donate a reasonable sum to the poppy box when I purchase one. I mean, if you want to get mad about something, get mad at people who pull into a store in a high end Range Rover and drop a quarter into the box. Personally, not something that I let bother me, but if I was going to get mad about something around poppies, that'd be what would grind my gears.

• Like 3

I am somewhat surprised reading some off the posts here thinking Grapes said nothing wrong, disappointed yes but not surprised. Our discriminatory thoughts are just a slip of the tongue from becoming words, me included. As far as him saying immigrants don't buy and wear Poppy's, how would he know, how would anyone know? That is a thing that can not be quantified. My Mom was an immigrant, from the US, she wore Poppy's. A 2nd cousin that lost his life when shot down on a sortie in a RAF bomber over Germany in 42' was never given the chance to wear a Poppy, he never made it home. My Grand Father that took shrapnel to his scull fighting for The British during WW1 never wore a Poppy, he was an immigrant from Italy that volunteered to fight then later in life was interned in Camp Petawawa as an enemy of the King  in 39', Grape's can add him to his  list. 

I am not wearing a Poppy either. I have bought 5, 1 is on the floor of the truck, 1 is where I keep my car keys, 1 went through the wash cycle and 1 is MIA. They won't stay on. I must be an immigrant. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, misfish said:

See,this here is what I do not get Pete . I respect your opinion, but you cant others. Why is that ? 

True colors ? What world to you live in that everything is peachy keen ?

As for the door comment, nah, stick around, ice will be here soon and there will be more fishing reports. LOL

I dont see it political. It,s Don Cherry after all. LOL

I respect a lot of members opinions on here Brian. It is just that some members drift from the actual topic to take cloaked shots at other members that do not agree. Some members are subversively making the discussion into political Bull. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NAW said:

It's not just the attitude of "this board"....  It is being echo'd across the country.    

IMO, you calling out "This Board", is just as bad as Don saying "you people". 

We all have are opinions, and that's a good thing.

sorry NAW i do not agree.

5 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Beauty Pic big guy. I have to ask, do you and Brian Misfish have jobs where you have to do something or are you paid by Ontario Fishing Community to post stuff? Just asking. If it's the latter keep up the good work, I think you both should demand a raise. 

I'm sitting at my desk at work.

Felt this thread needed something other than negative comments. ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fish Farmer said:

that so called friend Mclean should be ashamed throw his partner under the bus.

It happens all the time sad to say. Keeping a roof over your families head and food on the table always trumps loyalty, always. That's a fact of life. I've seen it many times on the job. I still like Don Cherry, he is from a different generation than some here. He has sat in that chair on Saturday night for 38 years I heard him say yesterday. Longer then our millenials have been alive touting their political correctness. I almost used the acronym PC, that's a millennial thing to do. LMAO, ROTFLMAO. OMG. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

I'm sitting at my desk at work.

Felt this thread needed something other than negative comments. ;)

Work you say. Back in the Dark Ages in 95' when our staff had access to the Interweb thing the subject of using company resources and time came up concerning folks using the internet when they were supposed to be working. Our senior staff that may have never seen a PC up until then said they would fire anyone doing that. I asked if they have ever fired anyone for reading a newspaper or looking at a Playboy magazine up until then? Like HTHM says here, "Oh look, a can of worms lets open it." It is under Ontario labour law potentially a dismissible offence, I have never heard of anyone within my circle (which is very small now) that has even been disciplined for it.

To completely digress, of course, I recently learned that one of my Engineer trainees in the early 90's that I failed on his 1st bout of operational training has been named Vice-President. What did I know? I'm cringing. 

Just now, Old Ironmaker said:

Work you say. Back in the Dark Ages in 95' when our staff had access to the Interweb thing the subject of using company resources and time came up concerning folks using the internet when they were supposed to be working. Our senior staff that may have never seen a PC up until then said they would fire anyone doing that. I asked if they have ever fired anyone for reading a newspaper or looking at a Playboy magazine up until then? Like HTHM says here, "Oh look, a can of worms lets open it." It is under Ontario labour law potentially a dismissible offence, I have never heard of anyone within my circle (which is very small now) that has even been disciplined for it.

To completely digress, of course, I recently learned that one of my Engineer trainees in the early 90's that I failed on his 1st bout of operational training has been named Vice-President. What did I know? I'm cringing. 

To be fair I'm an Information Technology Analyst, it's my job to look at things on the internet!!! 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

To be fair we are now always connected to our work through our laptops and smart phones and pretty much expected to be on call 24/7. So if thats an expectation then we should be allowed to surf the internet a while at work. I always say that you can do what ever you want as long as the work gets done.

• Like 2

My honest opinion is when I read the words that got him fired, I scratched my head and thought that him getting fired was a little over the top. The reason? If you take his words for what he said, there really isn't anything malicious being said. The end result was him telling "you people" to buy poppies. But the more you look at it and take a critical thinking approach to those words, the easier it is to realize that yes, that phrase could very easily be racist or discriminatory.

The end result is an 85 year old hockey analyst that should have retired long ago and is by and far behind the times when it comes to the current type of game played here has been fired. his tenure 0on coaches corner had to come to an end sooner or later and they will replace him and life will go on.

On a secondary note, I saw another post saying that Coaches Corner is pre taped and played 3 times (once per each game played). And no one at Sportsnet thought "Maybe this is a little over the top and we should re tape this segment?"... So although he said it and is wearing the blame, there are multiple other people who let it go by that could have stopped this from being an issue in the first place.

I rarely watch Hockey anymore so don't really care one way or another.

• Like 2

On 11/11/2019 at 9:16 PM, BillM said:

All I'm asking for is for you to tell me what he said on Sat that was racist?   That's it.   Once you do I'll simply point out that your interpretation of what he said probably isn't the same as everyone else's and that calling him a racist is ridiculous.    

He said right at the beginning that the new Canadians don't wear poppies. Specially in Toronto. First how does he know they are new Canadians? Does he check their passports. Second. more than 1.4 million of the people that came from those countries fought should to shoulder with Canadian forces while we were under British rule. They also lost about 74,000 men in those fights, more than the Canadians lost. They also sell poppies and women's Hanjab's with poppies in them to support the troups. You can go on youtube and listen to the full rant he made about people not wearing poppies. 

• Thanks 1