Ice Fishing

bobowski

Ice Fishing  

41 members have voted

1. 1. It would be interesting to know how many forum members ice fish as opposed to soft water fishing or both.

• I only ice fish
    • I only fish the softwater
    • I ice fish and fish the softwater

Another avid hardwater angler here. Not long now. Boat is put away last week but I still got out yesterday from shore. Makes me laugh, people in town always asking if I'm sad fishing season is over, there is no such thing as fishing season being over except for the 2 weeks it takes from first ice to safe ice.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bobowski said:

Who's starting to get excited for ice fishing season? I know the itch has started for me.

HAHAHAHAHA

I just put the toon away this morning, brought out the ice gear. Flipped the hut open to wax the poles. I started day dreaming. Oh and put 300 lbs in the back of the truck box for weight.

Plenty of river stuff to do til then. I have another 9 day adventure planned in 2 weeks.:Gonefishing:

Then it,s whitiefest. :good:

Edited by misfish

3 hours ago, misfish said:

HAHAHAHAHA

I just put the toon away this morning, brought out the ice gear. Flipped the hut open to wax the poles. I started day dreaming. Oh and put 300 lbs in the back of the truck box for weight.

Plenty of river stuff to do til then. I have another 9 day adventure planned in 2 weeks.:Gonefishing:

Then it,s whitiefest. :good:

I finally put the boat away, pulled out the sled and gassed up the snowblower this morning.  :)

I used to be an avid ice fishing addict but poor health has me shorebound....my boys rent a pontoon boat and I manage getting on and off  that and am good for about 4 hours fishing from it but the rest of the time it is shorefishing.... I have given up ice fishing but enjoy living vicariously through your adventures...

Keep 'em comin'

Can't wait to get back out on the perch grounds of lake Simcoe; out off of Beaverton. I like planting my hut somewhere between Georgina Island and Thorah Island.  Last year I got crap from Tim Hale; saying I was to close to his rental huts. I was at least an 1/8 of a mile away, on the other side of the main trail? He tried telling me that my hut was causing his huts to flood? LOL  OK. Your huts are 2-300 feet apart, mines an 1/8 of a mile away; how is it that I'm the cause of your huts flooding? He couldn't give me an answer. LOL Ministry (CO) showed up while Tim and I were having our conversation that was starting to get heated. The CO more or less told Tim to go pound salt; he didn't own the lake and if I wanted I could place my hut right up to but not against one of his.  I did eventually move my hut. Mr. Hale (going well out of his way) kept buzzing around my hut with his bombardiers. So I guess he's not going to be a friend of mine? LOL My hut is big and heavy and the 700cc quad has all it can do to pull it on clear ice. That's why I'm going to put together a half track system on the rear wheels of a Suzuki Sidekick and chains on the front wheels. 98hp and about another 900lbs of weight should allow me to move the hut much easier. I never go out unless I see the the operators out there with their Bombardiers; so I should be OK; staying on marked trails?  So if you see a navy blue hut out there with a Canadian flag on the door; stop in and say hi.

Dan.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, DanD said:

Can't wait to get back out on the perch grounds of lake Simcoe; out off of Beaverton. I like planting my hut somewhere between Georgina Island and Thorah Island.  Last year I got crap from Tim Hale; saying I was to close to his rental huts. I was at least an 1/8 of a mile away, on the other side of the main trail? He tried telling me that my hut was causing his huts to flood? LOL  OK. Your huts are 2-300 feet apart, mines an 1/8 of a mile away; how is it that I'm the cause of your huts flooding? He couldn't give me an answer. LOL Ministry (CO) showed up while Tim and I were having our conversation that was starting to get heated. The CO more or less told Tim to go pound salt; he didn't own the lake and if I wanted I could place my hut right up to but not against one of his.  I did eventually move my hut. Mr. Hale (going well out of his way) kept buzzing around my hut with his bombardiers. So I guess he's not going to be a friend of mine? LOL My hut is big and heavy and the 700cc quad has all it can do to pull it on clear ice. That's why I'm going to put together a half track system on the rear wheels of a Suzuki Sidekick and chains on the front wheels. 98hp and about another 900lbs of weight should allow me to move the hut much easier. I never go out unless I see the the operators out there with their Bombardiers; so I should be OK; staying on marked trails?  So if you see a navy blue hut out there with a Canadian flag on the door; stop in and say hi.

Dan.  

That is odd behavior for Tim. Are you sure it was actually Tim, or one of his staff? Maybe on of Floyd Hales guys? Tim has been nothing but great to me and many I know. That seems odd. Not saying its not true, just really out of character for him and his crew. 

Im out that way often. If ever any problems, get in touch. 

S. 

I never became a fan of ice fishing, just something I never took an interest in.

My Grandparents had a water front home on Simcoe for years and had a hut that I think I used once and my brother had a waterfront home on Scugog with a hut also that I used once. Went out with the boys from this site a few times but again no interest.

Staring down a hole in the ice all day just never became my thing I spose.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, lew said:

I never became a fan of ice fishing, just something I never took an interest in.

My Grandparents had a water front home on Simcoe for years and had a hut that I think I used once and my brother had a waterfront home on Scugog with a hut also that I used once. Went out with the boys from this site a few times but again no interest.

Staring down a hole in the ice all day just never became my thing I spose.

Lew

I like the early morning shift. Real early shift. On ice at 6 am, off by 9-10 am. I try not to look down the hole. Scares the fish away. Just watch the screen, drink coffee and catch a few fish. LOL

9 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

Noted that some of the shallow bays on couch by highway #11 were frozen early this morning and still on the way back around 1030. 

What are you saying ? Hell is going to freeze over ? Did you get some brown fur this morning ?

Edited by misfish

Don't know about hell freezing over any time soon according to the blond waffle twat that climate minister.  No, no brown fur, we went up to check cameras at a buddies place just past Gravenhurst, 2 tracks and some dink stole one of the portable blinds.  Nothing is sacred anymore.   Most of the gravel pits on #90 were frozen over and then I just about crap when I saw the bays frozen over on couchiching,  maybe an early ice season for a change.

Edited by Fisherman

4 hours ago, misfish said:

There were reports of huts getting buzzed  last year on another site. I too, do not believe Tim would do this. Been out there to many years to be pulling that crap, and with the WWW he knows word spreads fast.

I can tell you I’ve been buzzed by a Floyd Hales bomber.  He had to go out of his way and off his track to do it and passed way too close to my portable, and I was nowhere near his huts.

10 hours ago, Sinker said:

That is odd behavior for Tim. Are you sure it was actually Tim, or one of his staff? Maybe on of Floyd Hales guys? Tim has been nothing but great to me and many I know. That seems odd. Not saying its not true, just really out of character for him and his crew. 

Im out that way often. If ever any problems, get in touch. 

S. 

I would be very disappointed if it was Tim! Tim, Kim,  and their crew have always been top notch with me and any of my friends. Sounds more like something Floyd would do. 

Edited by Big Cliff

On 11/8/2019 at 5:06 PM, DanD said:

That's why I'm going to put together a half track system on the rear wheels of a Suzuki Sidekick and chains on the front wheels. 98hp and about another 900lbs of weight should allow me to move the hut much easier. 

Not sure if that set-up will work too good. 

The tracks most likely  will have a different drive ratio slower than the front wheels.

With the front wheels engaged they will be turning faster then the tracks and will spin and put a lot of stress on the drivetrain. Also steering will be compromised.