Halloween date change due to weather

cisco

As a kid I recall the less fortunate coming to the door with pillow sacks and little makeup/costume. They came to the door early and late compared to the general population of trick-or-treaters. Last night I though of the less fortunate out there trying to get candy in the rain, cold temps and high winds while the more fortunate had less cause to 'venture forth'. Hearing that some places near Montreal postponed the date while the GTA didn't got me thinking about it.  The kids out there need our protection from the elements and vehicle traffic. I am considering asking gov't to consider this aspect if they haven't thought about it. Thoughts?

Big family chat about this last night because of the news about Montreals plans.   The winning choice in our group comprised of grandparents and parents was more about when then weather. Our group would all like Halloween to be relegated to a Friday or Saturday night so everyone has the next day off rather then worrying about babysitting  or having to work in the morning. Make it like fishing seasons. Example bass opens last Friday in June around here. Make trick or treat night the last saturday in October. Easy Peasy.

Edit to add. I'm retired and could care less. Just thinking it would be good for families dealing with daycare and 2 working parents. Something us older generations never ever had to give any thought too.

Edited by crappieperchhunter
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, bigugli said:

Canada is turning into a nation of marshmallows. Why not just buy 5lbs of candy stay home and plunk the kids in front of the screen

I'd bet that is what a lot of "parents" did. 

I agree, a bunch of whining, entitled pussies. 

S. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sinker said:

I'd bet that is what a lot of "parents" did. 

I agree, a bunch of whining, entitled pussies. 

S. 

A few parents from my grandaughter's class were keeping their kids indoors. We still had over 70 kids at our door. A whole bunch shouting "trick or treat, and I've been good Santa" Must have something to do with my jovial image

25594054_10159710507905564_8818770509317723068_n.jpg

4 minutes ago, bigugli said:

A few parents from my grandaughter's class were keeping their kids indoors. We still had over 70 kids at our door. A whole bunch shouting "trick or treat, and I've been good Santa" Must have something to do with my jovial image

25594054_10159710507905564_8818770509317723068_n.jpg

A little early for the tree aint it ? LOL

I was in Wally world this morning. Christmas is already in full force. LOL

I'm too far out of town to get any trick or treaters, but when I was a kid, we didn't care one bit what the weather was. We could not wait to get off school and get at those free candies! 

So, are we going to change the date for christmas too, if there's no snow? What about easter? Too cold, lets wait til next weekend? I can't even understand where someone comes up with such a stupid idea. 

S. 

17 hours ago, crappieperchhunter said:

Big family chat about this last night because of the news about Montreals plans.   The winning choice in our group comprised of grandparents and parents was more about when then weather. Our group would all like Halloween to be relegated to a Friday or Saturday night so everyone has the next day off rather then worrying about babysitting  or having to work in the morning. Make it like fishing seasons. Example bass opens last Friday in June around here. Make trick or treat night the last saturday in October. Easy Peasy.

Edit to add. I'm retired and could care less. Just thinking it would be good for families dealing with daycare and 2 working parents. Something us older generations never ever had to give any thought too.

I can understand that reasoning, but Why change it now? What if it rains or snows on the last friday? Do we change it to the next day with a nice forecast? 

How about we leave it as it has been for hundreds of years, and deal with the weather as it comes. 

S. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Sinker said:

we didn't care one bit what the weather was. We could not wait to get off school and get at those free candies! 

LOL Shane

We would be out, fill a bag, head home to do the drop, grab another pillow case and be gone for another load. Fun times then.🤣

3 minutes ago, Sinker said:

I can understand that reasoning, but Why change it now? What if it rains or snows on the last friday? Do we change it to the next day with a nice forecast? 

How about we leave it as it has been for hundreds of years, and deal with the weather as it comes. 

S. 

Like I said Shayne I could care less and our discussion the other night had nothing to do with changing dates because of the weather which just opens a whole can of worms I don't care about either. It was all about making it a Friday or Saturday night so the vast majority could have a nice evening out....or in... and not worry about work or school the next day.  The kids don't care at all as long as they get there sugar fix...lol.

• Like 1

Poor kids can't afford "flashlights and ponchos" or "buy candy" to stay at home. Many get meals at school since they don't get fed at home before. I was just thinking of a way to keep them safer than having to deal with the 80km winds and rain experienced this Halloween. I can imagine that some of us here had it tough growing up and this hardening proved useful. Kudos!!! But I'm talking about poor kids on their own out in the stuff your kids and grandkids didn't have to go out in last night or that didn't go out in for long.

But OK guess the issue is not worth bothering about. Next time you don't go out fishing or hunting due to bad weather I hope you change your mind and go knowing you'd send poor young kids out in it. 

Changing the date of holoween is just another chip off of our culture’s history. 
What’s next, no Lord’s Prayer at school. Oh wait that’s already happened! How many more of our customs will be changed, to satisfy new wave and new Canadians. Customs/annual events should stay as is; or they are not ANNIAL OR OUR CUSTOMS!

Dan.  

1 hour ago, cisco said:

Poor kids can't afford "flashlights and ponchos" or "buy candy" to stay at home. Many get meals at school since they don't get fed at home before. I was just thinking of a way to keep them safer than having to deal with the 80km winds and rain experienced this Halloween. I can imagine that some of us here had it tough growing up and this hardening proved useful. Kudos!!! But I'm talking about poor kids on their own out in the stuff your kids and grandkids didn't have to go out in last night or that didn't go out in for long.

But OK guess the issue is not worth bothering about. Next time you don't go out fishing or hunting due to bad weather I hope you change your mind and go knowing you'd send poor young kids out in it. 

I grew up poor. We made due with what we had, and if we didn't have it, we'd find a way to make it or work towards getting it. Babying every human on the earth has watered down society so much that all we are left with are whining, entitled brats. Suck it up and get outside. Its good for you. 

P.S....since when has weather ever stopped me from going fishing or hunting? Never has and never will. 

S. 

Edited by Sinker
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cisco said:

Are you a new member of P3TA ?🤣

• Like 1

Sad part is , that most of the kids that get free breakfast at school do so because the parents are too f'n lazy to deal with their own before they head off to work and dump it on the free provider. In my day parents would have been ashamed, but the free for all society has apparently dismissed any dignity!  5 % I feel sorry for, because they truly need the hand out.

Edited by irishfield
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, Toronto_Angler said:

When I was young I used to walk 50 miles barefoot in the snow to school and I had to pay for halloween candy with money I earned working night shift at the grain mill...Blah Blah Blah the horses in here are mighty high

Did we trigger the millennial?.. go to your safe space and colour..

• Haha 3

Wayne. Those are the 5% kids I was getting input on whether to try and help. The rest have parents looking out for them. 

Oh re P3TA ... good joke! No I'm not. I've killed many critters sometimes in tough weather. Some here know I diver duck hunt. Oh and I'm not a narcissist either.    

• Like 2

even as an adult, I love Halloween, for the kids, for the getting together of neighbors, for the community

I'm against the grain here

I don't like Montreal for NHL and political reasons, but I like their Halloween call, john tory is too much of a generic, politician, robot to ever make a call like that

as it turned out here in Oakville, the weather wasn't that bad, lol, and it was a great night