Winterizing 4 stroke 20hp

mamona

I run stabilizer all year long.

In the fall, I check the lower unit oil, replace engine oil and filter and remove the spark plugs and spray a bit of fogging fluid in each hole.

Turn the engine over with plugs removed to spread the fogging fluid around and put the plugs back in.

Put the cover on and fire up the snowmobile!!!! :)

Really no need to fog a 4 stroke.  Change the oil, bottom end oil and you're basically done till the spring.  Pulling the plugs and spraying some fogging fluid in there won't hurt anything however, whatever you're comfortable with.

• Like 1

I agree.. no need to fog a 4 stroke, but it doesn't hurt it. In regards to fuel.. run ethanol free gas ( shell v power) with fuel stabilizer or ( my favorite)  sea foam. Run the engine until you know the stabilized gas is through the system,   then disconnect  the fuel hose and let it run dry. If  it's an efi  engine DO NOT run it dry..ever

Edited by GYPSY400
Slow server

Thank you guys so much. I think will do fogging next winter if it really helps in my case.

On the other note the motor was not used for couple months, staying dry since late spring.
Would you guys still recommend run the motor on gas with fuel stabilizer? There should not be any moisture left.

47 minutes ago, mamona said:

Thank you guys so much. I think will do fogging next winter if it really helps in my case.

On the other note the motor was not used for couple months, staying dry since late spring.
Would you guys still recommend run the motor on gas with fuel stabilizer? There should not be any moisture left.

The stabilizing keeps varnish from forming and plugging up the small venturis in your carbs or fuel injectors. 

I've never fogged an engine in my life, but why are you guys saying there no need to fog a 4 stroke? I would think there would be more need to fog a 4 stroke than a 2 stroke. A 2 stroke gets oiled every other stroke, a 4 stroke has a crank case full of oil that oils as the engine is running. Wouldn't it be more useful to fog a 4 stroke? I dunno, like I said, I've never fogged an engine in my life.  My stuff doesn't sit long enough to need fogging, and I don't think rust can form in a cylinder that is air tight. 

S. 

Edit to add: 

I drain and refill gear case oil. Make sure theres no water in there. Refill if no water. 

I always run seafoam in my fuel, so that's it, park in the garage, and fire up the sled. 

S. 

Edited by Sinker