Need a new river rain jacket, Got one

misfish

Heading out this morning, I grabbed my Viking rain jacket to wear . Well it was ok for the first hour, then it started to allow water in. I sure do like those Simms jackets and know they are probly the best, but they are dear in price. Would really like one,but is there others out there that compare and maybe half the price ?

Managed a couple of quick ones this morning. :Gonefishing:

DSCF5046.JPG.9903f2dc914d35bac59bedb3d0408d6f.JPG

Edited by misfish

19 minutes ago, wkrp said:

You are becoming quite the fishing fashionista .

Not really Peter, just looking to stay dry and comfortable. 🤣

I have a pair of new to me, 20 year old Simm waders that I got handed down after 3 owners. I do have to say, they are very comfortable to wear.

Edited by misfish

I’m in the same boat.  Everything leaking from waders to my jacket.  I patched waders  for the last time, and i DWR’d my goretex for probably the last time.  Looks like it’ll be an expensive Xmas.  Again.... I can’t complain, did pretty well on the last bargain bin pair of Simms waders and my coat has given more than can be expected of a coat.  I’ll be watching this thread.  But sadly I don’t think cheap lasts very long.  Best way to do it is watch for a clearout sale on last years model of a brand name. That’s what I did last time.

Just buy the Simms, you wont regret it. Only money. I was on a $5000.00 fly in trip to the BC coast ( free trip) and in the dry room one of the other guests was raving about my Simms suit. I figured he could afford one but he kept going on about mine. Are the Simms waders not under warranty? I would shoot them a note before you buy new

Edited by Yellow Fever

I have a Simms G4 that has a few years on it.  The original was returned due to material defect.  The second jacket has been good but is showing signs of wear.  I did purchase a Patagonia River Salt jacket a few years ago and IMO this jacket is superior to the Simms.  As for the cost, Patagonia has a fall and a spring sale where this jacket may be on sale and if so it is for 40% off regular price. 

I had a Simms Guide Jacket for about 5 years or so. Started to have problems with the zipper. I contacted Simms to see if they could put a new zipper in. They had me send them the jacket.Two weeks later, I received from them a brand new. No questions asked re: my original purchase. I'm sure I was out of warranty. I also have their lightweight rain jacket, and a 10 year old set of stocking foot waders...still no leaks. Compare that with the sets of Orvis boot foot waders I go through every two years.

Go Simms...pricey, but very high quality, and absurdly good customer service.

BTW, when I'm in my boat and it's going to be a soaker day, I wear my waders under the Guide Vest. Completely dry, and no more water down the butt crack.

I have a BPS 100MPH jacket and my buddy has cabelas guideware. Both are more affordable than the Simms and keep us dry. But the Simms seems to be a bit more flexible.

I recently bought a Gore-Tex ski jacket at Sail for $275 (Spyder) that is lightly insulated and it has worked great on my last two outings as well.

I have a Bass Pro Pro Qualifier rain suit

I really like it, comfortable, lots of pockets and keeps me dry.  I have fished all day in a heavy downpour in it on our fly in trips and not had any leaks 

If you watch the BPS flyer they usually go on sale a few times a year 

Cheers

Gordy 

First off, thanks to all you guys for your input.

Yes the Simms is a great jacket. I tried a couple on this morning at Sails, and tried to convince myself to pay the big ticket item price, but I just couldn't pull the trigger. Headed over to BPS and they had limited selection, but the FroggTogg Pilot II was just as nice fitting and at 1/2 the price of a cheaper Simms . I was comfortable with making this purchase. Got X-large so I can layer up under it. The neoprene cuffs are a nice fit,lots of pocket space, nice tight waist band and well, I am happy to have a life time warranty jacket and the 5 star report made it for me . Now to put it to the test.

image.png.ce14d0f44eab33a8cf8274dddf95de60.png

Edited by misfish