https://www.cleveland.com/sports/2019/10/lake-erie-walleye-steelhead-trout-gather-near-shore-and-surprise-muskie-fishing-report-for-oct-25.html?fbclid=IwAR0xQ-HxNergWj1Vm6S6vEYafcxn2pbnN2UIxxBIDvvuvF9MzOva79Y9b1k

I have lived with in 25 miles of the lake my entire life, and this is the first time I have ever heard of  any one in this area intentionally targeting muskies on

lake Erie here, even incidental catches only seemed to get reported on every 25 years or so.

https://www.cleveland.com/sports/2019/11/lake-erie-walleye-shoreline-and-night-bites-heating-up-fishing-report-for-nov-1.html?fbclid=IwAR2JYMTnN1_XnmLKbIb1sGdeBS5XhJ_tXAJtdVplc7GSWLEQvxtUpHU4eM4

12.690 28.50 SHAUN GOOD

11.6.19  Talk about a weight difference in two fish of similar length?

6.625 29.50 MARTIN BOSSONE IV

I have heard of a  few Musky caught by guys fishing Largemouth in Long Point Bay the last few years. I have not heard of anyone targeting them specifically. 

Talk about Lake Erie news. I was up all night during that 100 year storm on Halloween. Winds were measured to have been gusting at 150 KPH's. Many homes and cottages had up to 4' of water in them and they are 70 or more feet across Lakeshore road from the lake. My buddies large deck that was built by his Dad in the early 60's ended up on the neighbours lawn 4 door down the road. Another pals old place (RIP Big Show) that his daughter now has has an 80' Willow tree in the living room. With all the torrential rain it might be a write off. Numerous friends and neighbours lost shingles and rain soaked through to the drywall. The county brought out the snow graders back hoes and loaders to clear huge logs, pieces of boathouses, boats, boat lifts and decks as well as the foot or more of sand and mud on Lakeshore road. They are still working today scooping out debris in the drainage ditches. We faired pretty well. a dead Ash tree on the bank snapped about 4' above the roots and was stopped from hitting our place by a small branch on a Maple tree or we would have had a major problem. My boat cover was ripped open and when it isn't blowing here I need to get the Zebra Mussels off the seats and dash. Lost a small section of grass on the bank but no big deal, not a  shingle lost. When I had the roof done 5 years ago I insisted the contractor fasten all the shingles down as it said in that little piece of paper no one reads when they tear open a bundle. I was up all night, I thought we were. I thought we were on our way to Kansas. We got lucky.  

By the way or cottage is listed for sale. To see it just Google 16 Hoover Point Lane Selkirk On. My wife did a beautiful job decorating or as they say staging it. My credit card has more damage on it than that storm. 

Johnny D

• Like 1

Nice fish Pigeon! Years ago I caught pike in the very early spring here, never personally caught a ski or even hooked one fishing Erie. About 40 years ago a friend caught one around 10 pounds around the Avon Lake power plant and he was a straight up guy so I believed it. They would make the Lake a bit more interesting to fish?

Paul, more reports of people catching muskies by accident in the western basin and island area the past few years. Guys that are targeting them are tight lipped about what they are doing. The few that I have seen look just like the St Clair fish and I suspect that is where they are coming from.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Whopper said:

Paul, more reports of people catching muskies by accident in the western basin and island area the past few years. Guys that are targeting them are tight lipped about what they are doing. The few that I have seen look just like the St Clair fish and I suspect that is where they are coming from.

Bunch of them in the upper Niagara River at the other end of Erie as well. Heard of a few being caught in Gravelly Bay at Port Colborne as well.

2 hours ago, Whopper said:

Hi Phil! It would make sense that some of those Lake St. Clair fish would wander down this way? Have you seen any new areas of weed growth around the island area? I can picture them finding a mix of habitat in Sandusky Bay or possibly East Harbor but the main lake was pretty devoid of weeds. Still fishing with  Captain Joe?

2 hours ago, dave524 said:

Bunch of them in the upper Niagara River at the other end of Erie as well. Heard of a few being caught in Gravelly Bay at Port Colborne as well.

Saw some videos of guys fishing the Buffalo harbor area and catching them too, LOL, one charter captain didn't want that stinky fish in his boat.

At times I wonder about DNR's decisions, they could have stocked muskies on this side instead of Coho or Steelhead? Not a species that wasn't native, although at one point in time there may have been trout here, LOL before humans improved things?

Thanks Paul, yes Tich did a great job both using the brad nailer once she got the hang of it, she loves it, as well as decorating. The amazing thing here was after the storm we had a sandy beach again. We haven't had beach for 3 years. It means your side of the lake or east or west of us had higher shoreline like we had on the 31st and 1st. They call it " the bathtub effect." When the south shore of the lake is getting pounded the north shore levels drop and vice versa. 

Very nice Musky Pigeontroller. Like I said only a few reports I have read or heard personally of Musky catches in Long Point Bay or the western basin. Musky guys are tight lipped. It's a lot of work and expense to target those things. Heck those bricks you guys toss at them are 20 bucks or more. I don't blame them for being members of a secret society. 

Buffalo Harbor was a real hot spot in the 90s due to a warm water discharge that's no longer a factor, and I'm guessing some real good year classes. Googling Buffalo Harbor Musky will show you some incredible specimens with 50'' lengths and  huge girths. Long Point Bay gets mentioned more and more...Anywhere there's good spawning water will attract Muskies, they usually arrive in fall and winter over, make love come spring time and then head out to the blue water to eat all summer long...

7 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

PAUL castellano hooked one in the Niagara river during the 39 hours series on YouTube 

Lot's of big muskies recently on the " FishIn  Niagara " facebook page out of the Niagara River.

6 hours ago, OhioFisherman said:

http://www.rockthelake.com/buzz/2018/01/muskie-caught-ice-fishing/

A rare central basin muskie, that one didn't get a chance to spawn.

The article goes onto explain the angler got not just 1 outside Cleveland which is a rarity but he hooked a second Musky that broke him off. What are the odds? It also said the angler plans on mounting his 40 some odd incher. Didn't say anything about a replimount (new word). Too bad he had to kill it.