Boat fire extinguisher

captpierre

A fire extinguisher is one of the most important items on a boat when it is on fire. I have a unit that has a gauge as well as a size that is larger than required on all of my boats. Every six months it should be checked for the charge level as well as turned upside down and tapped and agitated to make sure the powder has not clumped up in the bottom. I replace them every 4 years and then take the old unit and store it in the garage next to my current one in case one is not enough. 

Art

• Like 2

There shouldn't be the word "cheap"" when talking about arguably the 2nd most important piece of Marine safety equipment, a good PFD being number 1. Nothing much worse than facing a fire and when you pull the pin on an extinguisher and pull the trigger all you have is your you know what in your hands. You wouldn't cheap out on a PFD I would hope. 

Time to check mine. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

16 hours ago, aplumma said:

A fire extinguisher is one of the most important items on a boat when it is on fire. I have a unit that has a gauge as well as a size that is larger than required on all of my boats. Every six months it should be checked for the charge level as well as turned upside down and tapped and agitated to make sure the powder has not clumped up in the bottom. I replace them every 4 years and then take the old unit and store it in the garage next to my current one in case one is not enough. 

Art

Yup what he said!

I was discussing the disposal of fire extinguishers at the curling rink today.  One of the guys mentioned a place in Scarborough where you can exchange an old fire extinguisher for a refilled one.  Even if you don't want a refilled one, you can probably dispose of your old one.

https://www.herbertwilliams.com/services/fire-extinguisher-installation-inspection-testing/