Lower unit non- oil change 😲

captpierre

12 hours ago, captpierre said:

Winterized my girl. 115 Yammy. I’ve  always changed the lower unit oil. 12 years. This time just checked it. Looks great.  Stupid or smarter?

If no water is in oil then top off, change o rings and let it hibernate.  It will be fine.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, davis said:

stupid question here - do any o-rings work, or are they marine specific and/or manufacturer specific?

Nothing stupid about it. If the seal you're thinking of using is oil resistant and of the proper size, it should work fine.

Dan.

On 11/2/2019 at 8:52 AM, Mister G said:

Don't forget to remove the prop and clean the shaft......check for fishing line and RE-GREASE the shaft for easy removal next season........and use a new SS cotter pin.

Anyone know if crappy can sells stainless cotter pins? Or any other easy (multiple location) places that sell em. I’m winterizing this Thursday and I’ve never taken my prop off my boat. This sounds like a smart idea.

stupid question I know but I’m a new boat owner and I’m learning!

Edited by AKRISONER

2 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

Anyone know if crappy can sells stainless cotter pins? Or any other easy (multiple location) places that sell em. I’m winterizing this Thursday and I’ve never taken my prop off my boat. This sounds like a smart idea.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/hillman-stainless-steel-cotter-pins-1619884p.html#srp

• Like 1

On 11/4/2019 at 5:24 PM, AKRISONER said:

If you haven't removed the prop in several years you may find it difficult to remove. A 3# hammer and a block of wood is now your best friend.

Place the block of wood at the thick end of one of the prop blades and smack it with that hammer 2-3 times.......if no movement rotate the prop to the next fin blade and repeat until it loosens and comes off.......now check the spines on both the prop and shaft.....it should show corrosion between the SS prop and brass prop hub splines.......clean with penetrating oil and a brass brush..........once clean grease them both up ( I use wheel bearing grease) for a EASY removal next year.

Of course check for fishing line, and replace the thrust bearing/washers the way you removed them........and then the prop nut and your NEW SS cotter pin.

• Thanks 1