Gobies in Guelph Lake

cwpres

1 hour ago, bigugli said:

Seeing as they have been i the Speed and Nith for some time. It was only a matter of time before a seed carrier (i.e. Heron) dropped eggs in the lake. Same way we now have bass in the farm pond

I've never heard of a heron seeding fish... how could this be done?  Can you site a source for that?

Heron wades through the shallows, through a spawn bed, gets eggs attached to legs, flies to another body of water in search of food, shakes off a few eggs.   At the farm, the only fish stocked were bluegills and bullhead, yet 2 years ago we started finding largemouth. Herons visit regularly.

Bass eggs aren't sticky.  They lay them in a nest, and the male bass protects them until they hatch.  I think it's unlikely that a heron could introduce bass to a pond.  It's much more likely that baby bass were introduced with the bluegills when they were sotcked, as they can look very similar as fry and live in similar habitats.

3 hours ago, cwpres said:

Bass eggs aren't sticky.  They lay them in a nest, and the male bass protects them until they hatch.  I think it's unlikely that a heron could introduce bass to a pond.  It's much more likely that baby bass were introduced with the bluegills when they were sotcked, as they can look very similar as fry and live in similar habitats.

The stocking was done 30 years ago, the bass only started appearing 2 years ago. To date we have found 3. There are no bodies of water to migrate from.

18 minutes ago, bigugli said:

The stocking was done 30 years ago, the bass only started appearing 2 years ago. To date we have found 3. There are no bodies of water to migrate from.

After the 1996 tornado in Grand Valley we had a 3# smallie end up in the backyard about 20' from our pond.

It did not come from our pond. It most likely came from either Luther Marsh or Damascus Reservoir to the West of us.

If it had dropped a couple of seconds earlier it may have lived in the pond.  😁