Help! Snapped a throttle cable

tb4me

Ok so I was out all day yesterday on the water. Pull to the dock to drop off the kid and dog. I started the motor and drove off..Get to the boat launch to run it up on the trailer and she wont slow down! Push it into neutral and damn near blow the engine. Quickly shut it off and open engine cover. Throttle wont return to idle on its own..It will go, just not return.Broken throttle cable in the plastic housing at the motor .Needless to say that was fun getting it on the trailer.
Anyhow normally id just drop it off to  get it fixed..With Walleye closing soon on the Trent River I cant afford the down time. Can anyone help me figure out what throttle cable I need? I measured 12 feet. The motor is a Johnson 70 HP serial and model #s are as follows
Ser# is C 8226263
mod# is cj70tlcca

Are these cables fairly generic? Or are they very specific? 
Any help would be absolutely wonderful!

9 minutes ago, floater said:

Part number of cable is usually stamped on the black plastic part or painted on the black sleeve. 

Yeah I just learned that today now that im 3.5 hrs from my boat...lol . Sure would have made things much easier

Why did it break in the 1st place? I'd like to know that before I broke another one. Not a common breakdown in my experience. It will be tough to get someone to do it for you at this time of the year anyway. Try iboats.com for a new part. They will have it I'm positive.

Good luck and get back out there. 

16 hours ago, Big Cliff said:

Where is the boat, if anywhere in the Kawarthas area I can go to it in the morning and try to get the part number for you call me if that will help. 

Cliff don't put your phone number on the internet. Delete it. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

15 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Why did it break in the 1st place? I'd like to know that before I broke another one. Not a common breakdown in my experience. It will be tough to get someone to do it for you at this time of the year anyway. Try iboats.com for a new part. They will have it I'm positive.

Good luck and get back out there. 

I think it snapped from wear n tear..Its a 1988 motor and likely orignal cables. I managed to find a cable at my local dealer here in Haggersville for 65 bucks.. Ill go grab it this week 

Edited by tb4me
My horrible spelling lol

14 hours ago, Big Cliff said:

Where is the boat, if anywhere in the Kawarthas area I can go to it in the morning and try to get the part number for you pm me if that will help 

What an amazing offer. I have sent you a pm. Thanks Cliff...cheers my friend