A Thanksgiving story

lew

Many years ago when they started the Daily Bread Food Bank drive to collect food for Thanksgiving & Christmas for the less fortunate, residents were asked to bring food donations to the local firehalls, among other locations. We had large boxes in all the stations and when people would bring donations we'd fill the boxes. We were told that vehicles would come by every couple days to pick up whatever donations there were.

We were sitting in the firehall a couple days later and a truck backs up to the building for the 1st pick-up and the fella got out and said he was there for the grub.

Good stuff, so we all got together...including the driver...and loaded his van and away he went.

Later on that day another truck arrives and the driver got out, showed us his I.D. and said he was there for the food. We explained that he was too late as the other guy already got it. He said that was impossible as he was the only one picking up in that area.

Turns out we actually helped a thief steal food from the poor.

Sad story but 100% true

Edited by lew

Lew that happened to me at an advertising agency. We collected food for a church on King street and me having a van volunteered to deliver it.

Pulled up with a trunk full and got some help unloading. Went home and looked in the truck to unload my own that I had bought for Christmas a few days before and it was all gone! It was only two cases of soft drinks and other items. Now I unload the day I bring it home!

didn’t mind that they took it!