My new PB Musky, 47”er.

limeyangler

hi all, 

been spending some time exploring my home lake , casting as I go, got into a nice musky in 2’FOW on the edge of some reeds. Water temp is 51F and rain, rain, RAIN! This is the 2nd 40”+ musky I’ve caught in the last month or so on a small spoon, a Warden’s Worry Wobbler spoon to be exact,  so much for casting all those giant cranks!

E6E84E09-2F4F-4052-996C-49243F50F320.jpeg.ee7a47f1e416b42dc9f48a41fd41bcfc.jpeg

• Like 7

15 hours ago, gordy28 said:

Nice fish Simon

Girthy!

Loving all of these videos

Andrew

I have the video of the catch and release on the way. I caught some pike that day too, just have to sort through the footage. I had three hours to kill before work, so I decided to go and explore the South shore of Wabigoon as I never venture there, very hazardous with rocks. Found some beauty spots to cast for big pike and Musky, can't wait till spring. I got tired of casting in the rain and wind after 2 hours and decided to go and catch a few crappie and walleye in my regular spots closer to home, spent 45 minutes without a bite! Decided to cast for a pike in a spot 100yrds from my crappie spot, tied on a 3" spoon and cast at the corner of some reeds that still had a smattering of green cabbage in front of it. First cast felt a light tap/knock, cast again same spot and felt the same light tap as I pulled it past the cabbage, decided to set the hook on what I though for sure was a hammer handle pike, how wrong could i be!

15 hours ago, lew said:

Atta boy Simon, your on your way now bud !! 

Have not fished for walleye much at all since the last lady I guided back in September. While trying to up my game casting for pike I am developing a new addiction, many warned me but i'm proud and thought I was above that....lol. I am still casting stuff that i know pike will take too so I get a bit more action, but the Musky don't seem to mind the slightly smaller stuff I have been throwing, in particular spoons and the pike don't seem to mind the big musky stuff when they are in the mood. I feel like i'm fishing a new lake again, trying new stuff and venturing to parts I have been driving by on the way to fish for walleye. I used to have a big hate on for Wabigoon, but since I started guiding 2 years ago I had to spend more time on it, and given that I live on the lake it's easy to do, the results of my efforts have made me do a complete 180º, LOVE THIS LAKE! 

14 hours ago, Whitespinnerbait said:

Beauty musky mate ....

Thanks! Looking forward to next year targeting them in the weeds.

14 hours ago, captpierre said:

Awesome! Well done. 

Thanks Capitano!

14 hours ago, ketchenany said:

Great catch Simon. rain and more rain, get ready for snow by the looks of it. We are in Canada.

Its already snowing here, watching the temps carefully this time of year, try to keep the boat out as long as possible but need a warm day to winterize the outboard when the garden hose pipe is not frozen, 2 weeks tops given the longterm forecast before its below zero here day and night.

12 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Dat der isa onea bigga fisha. You are living the dream Simon. Spring, Summer and Fall at least weather wise. 

lol, it literally tapped the spoon like a small pike!

12 hours ago, muskybw said:

great fish, beauty color !  next one is the LUNKER.

The red fins are amazing eh? Hopefully not long before I get a 50". I saw one last year that attacked a small walleye I was reeling in, must have been approaching 60"!!!! They are in this lake FOR SURE!

44 minutes ago, Headhunter said:

Sweet! Congrats Simon!

HH

Thanks HH!

33 minutes ago, jimmer said:

Nice looking fish Simon! That lends to my theory that smaller baits out fish the large ones.

I am leaning that way too, I have spent HOURS this fall firing giant suiks, Jakes, bulldawgs etc...etc and NOTHING! I have caught all my musky on spoons no larger than 5",  jakes no larger than 6" and Shimano Waxwing Jrs. I have to say it is a confidence thing, I know once I get one throwing the larger stuff I will be more inclined to use it, but its catch 22, because I probably don't allow myself enough time and switch over to smaller stuff after only an hour with no bites.

Beauty! Toss some spinners. I don't know if you've tried them, but I get 99% of my musky on inlines or big spinner baits. All season long. 

Admit it, you are addicted. :) 

Better blow the dust off your wallet, its gets expensive, but don't get caught up in all the fancy schmancy stuff.....keeping it simple and effective has put 58 musky in my boat this season so far. 

S. 

9 minutes ago, Sinker said:

Beauty! Toss some spinners. I don't know if you've tried them, but I get 99% of my musky on inlines or big spinner baits. All season long. 

Admit it, you are addicted. :) 

Better blow the dust off your wallet, its gets expensive, but don't get caught up in all the fancy schmancy stuff.....keeping it simple and effective has put 58 musky in my boat this season so far. 

S. 

Thanks for the tip, I have them in the boat, I love repps spinners and upgraded to some bigger ones. I caught zilch on the inlines, tried buzzing them over the weeds, same deal with spinner baits, will be revisiting that next year though for sure, and if I get out again before the freeze will for sure try again and let you know how it worked out. I was catching a ton of smaller pike the other day in a bay I did well trolling spinner baits in spring and summer, i would get one ever pass on a big spoon or 8" squirrely jointed believer, tried a spinner bait and did not get hit, switched back and instant bite, weird.

Just now, Cast-Away said:

What a beauty Simon. Were you by yourself when you caught it? Getting a big fish like that off of the hook and lifting for a photo on your own can be nerve racking! 

Yes I was, no different than big pike really, I have protective gloves, all my tools close at hand. I use my walleye net with no problems. I have a GoPro mount glued to the top of my trolling motor and the camera is voice activated, so takes seconds to setup for a snap. Only one treble on the small spoon which was actually on the outside of its mouth, lucky to land it really, but made for an easy release.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, limeyangler said:

I use my walleye net with no problems. 

Get yourself a large square bottomed musky net and you'll be happy you did, it's much easier on both the angler and the fish, specially when you can leave her laid out in the bottom of the net while you cut the hooks and then let her rest for awhile before attempting a picture.

• Like 3