Icy Boat Launch

LostAnotherOne

So long as ice is relatively dry there is nothing better for traction than wood ashes. I carry a pail full in both my vehicles all winter long and my driveway gets a healthy dose whenever we have icy conditions. Might not be the best for a real wet ramp but if you can get the ashes to stick to the ice it works great.

I was out with Family Fisherman once, and we had a bit of trouble getting out.  I think he just put some salt under the front tires of his van, and along with tire path leading out of the launch and was able to crawl out.  

Might have been sand though.  I can't remember the details.  Just that we caught a few nice bass! 

One of the truck docks I worked on used to sweat terribly when there was sudden changes in temperature in the spring and fall, they used to spread oil dry, which like most cat litters have seen was basically dried round clay, it was a mess, as soon as it got wet it just made getting traction even worse. Picture a 10,000 lb forklift with a 2000 - 6000 pound pallet on the forks just sitting on a level concrete surface spinning it wheels? I told the boss to use sand, it provides some grit for traction and is gritty even when wet, unlike oil dry.

Pool filter sand, which is courser than most sand you see or sand gravel?