Kawartha Report

Hank Jr

Just got back from 6 days of Muskie fishing in the Kawartha's . My son and grandson and I fished Balsam , Pigeon and Sturgeon . The weather was tough high winds and a big cold front hit all week . Tuesday it was 75 by Thursday with the wind chill was 29 degrees . We had a OK week boated 9 Muskies saw 22 others with follows and hits at the boat we only count hits if we see it is a Muskie . My grandson caught his first Muskie 34 1/2" my son won big fish of the week with a 43" er from Pigeon cause me $10 . Of the follows 5 were nice fish probably 40" or bigger . With winds 10 mph and gusting to 18 mph there were a lot of our regular spots we couldn't fish . My grandson learn how to cast and work most of the different type Muskie lures I'm sure he will be back chasing Muskies again . Here is my sons fish .

Hank 43.jpg

Jason.jpg

• Like 9

Good times fishing with the family Hank and sounds like a fun trip.

Never fished Balsam and only once on Sturgeon but fished Pigeon a huge amount and always enjoyed that lake and gotsome very nice fish.

Great report Hank, good to see you again! I went out for a couple hours on Sturgeon on my last night there, got 2 to follow, one was a nice one. They were slow and lazy follows on my double 10's. Went back the next morning after the winds had totally died. The lake was glass, but the fish were gone. 

1 hour ago, smithy97 said:

Went back the next morning after the winds had totally died. The lake was glass, but the fish were gone. 

If following fish are coming from structure, mark the location on your map and come back to the same spot after dark and toss big, black & noisy slow moving baits near the surface and you'll often get the same fish.

Edited by lew

43 minutes ago, lew said:

If following fish are coming from structure, mark the location on your map and come back to the same spot after dark and toss big, black & noisy slow moving baits near the surface and you'll often get the same fish.

Great tip...thanks for this! 

Pigeon has offered up my biggest fish this season too. Usually, its sturgeon for me. 58 boated so far this season, all the biggest ones from pigeon. Looks like a great trip. One of these days we will run into each other out there. I'm on the water once or twice a week from opener on. 

S. 

We saw the most fish on spinners but single blades out fished the double 8's and 10's color didn't matter . The big fish we saw were on bull dogs , medusala's , glide and jerk baits . My son's fish came on a all black medusala . With the cold front we did down size on most of our lures . We only caught one trolling we usually catch between 5 -8 trolling during our week  when we eat our lunches or I need a break from casting my son doesn't like to troll . We caught fish in 2 ft -14 ft mostly deep edges but some off rocks and weeds .

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Hank Jr said:

We saw the most fish on spinners but single blades out fished the double 8's and 10's color didn't matter . The big fish we saw were on bull dogs , medusala's , glide and jerk baits . My son's fish came on a all black medusala . With the cold front we did down size on most of our lures . We only caught one trolling we usually catch between 5 -8 trolling during our week  when we eat our lunches or I need a break from casting my son doesn't like to troll . We caught fish in 2 ft -14 ft mostly deep edges but some off rocks and weeds .

I get my biggest fish trolling. My better half gets tired too easy casting, so we mainly stick to trolling. She still kicks my ass! I love to cast myself, but trolling always produces, and most of my fishing is after work on weekdays, so a nice relaxed evening on the water after work trolling is one of my favourite things to do. 

S. 

On 10/11/2019 at 1:29 PM, Sinker said:

I get my biggest fish trolling. My better half gets tired too easy casting, so we mainly stick to trolling. She still kicks my ass! I love to cast myself, but trolling always produces, and most of my fishing is after work on weekdays, so a nice relaxed evening on the water after work trolling is one of my favourite things to do. 

S. 

Dude you ever need a casting partner for the day let me know.   I have the muskie bug but man those fish are just kicking my ass the last few years.

On 10/13/2019 at 7:34 PM, BillM said:

Dude you ever need a casting partner for the day let me know.   I have the muskie bug but man those fish are just kicking my ass the last few years.

Its hunting season now, I probably won't fish again until ice up, unless Lori makes me take her lol 

If you want to catch fish, come to the kawartha's. Loads of them. Easy to catch.  Just not big enough. 

S.