High Tick Season Reminder

captpierre

What are the extra precautions to take? Both our dogs have what the vet suggested. Is there more we can do? I know the long grass thing and checking the dogs for hitch hikers before they get a chance to dig in; but what else?

Just asking for advice and any would be well taken in.

Thanks 

Dan.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, DanD said:

What are the extra precautions to take? Both our dogs have what the vet suggested. Is there more we can do? I know the long grass thing and checking the dogs for hitch hikers before they get a chance to dig in; but what else?

Just asking for advice and any would be well taken in.

Thanks 

Dan.

Not sure what else you could do Dan, I live in a rural area and use this stuff on my dog, https://www.chewy.com/revolution-topical-solution-dogs-201/dp/173090

I have never seen a flea or tick on him, and he is mostly white and short haired, so they would be easy to spot?

32 minutes ago, OhioFisherman said:

Not sure what else you could do Dan, I live in a rural area and use this stuff on my dog, https://www.chewy.com/revolution-topical-solution-dogs-201/dp/173090

I have never seen a flea or tick on him, and he is mostly white and short haired, so they would be easy to spot?

We use the same but the teal coloured package, our dogs are the next weight class up, haven't had a tick or flea in 5 years using it, but it is about double that price in Canuck bucks 

abbie elsa.jpg

Edited by dave524
  • Like 1

For dogs the product Revolution is good for all other parasites but not great for ticks. Most veterinarians recommend  newer oral meds like Bravecto, Nexgard or Simperica. Topical K9Advantix is ok too but not as effective as the oral meds. 

Dogs are a lot more naturally resistant to Lyme Disease than humans are. Only 10% of dogs bitten by a Lyme positive tick get sick.  In humans 90% of people get sick.  

Dogs have good preventative meds. People have squat.  The most important thing is preventing a tick bite and if you get bit,  getting the  tick off promptly.  You won’t feel a tick bite.  They  stay attached in the same spot for 5-7 days then let go and fall off to lay eggs.  They start off the size of a pin head and end up the size of your pinky finger nail. Lyme disease transmission, fortunately, requires time.  24-36 hrs of the tick feeding before the tick infects it’s host.  An end of the day check of your body -all over- and removal of a tiny tick will drastically reduce the chance of getting infected. 

Be tick wise.  You DON’T want Lyme Disease  

Tight lines  

This whole tick issue is a bit of a conundrum. The Revolution treatment is not great on ticks and the "new and Improved" stuff is scary. Ever google them?? Everything from vomiting to seizures to death. I bought some and after researching it, promptly returned it.

I totally understand the importance of controlling ticks but I have a problem with having my dog ingest enough poison to kill an insect(s) through his bloodstream. Even when I give him Revolution he is quiet and very lethargic for 3-4 days. 

So, I bought all the hair cutting supplies and in August began home grooming. I now stay on top of it and can do more frequent trims versus the $125 per cut I was paying. This also allows a very thorough inspection.

What to do??

• Like 1

We’ve had a ton of them out here (Northumberland) pulled two off my body last week checking deer stands and blinds Tick tools are worth their weight in gold .

Antibiotics right away , no messing around with Lyme disease. Last year though .... I was unfortunate enough to get one right on my ............ Yup ,  picture the “stand by me “ movie scene but switch the leech to a tick . Not good lol, the jokes were priceless though . Would not wish that on my worst enemy !

Check   yourselfs fellas ! 

On 10/7/2019 at 8:58 PM, captpierre said:

newer oral meds like Bravecto, Nexgard or Simperica. Topical K9Advantix is ok too but not as effective as the oral meds. 

I think my Doc has prescribed all 4 for me. My wife walks the lakeshore daily. 2 years ago she found a Tick on her abdomen just about burying itself.  Removed with tweezers and took it to the Doc's. Doc prescribed something in case, I think. Now she stays as far away as the ditches she can safely walk and checks every time, none since. Maybe she's stealing my K9 Advantix!