Leaving boats in the water

super dave

Any of you guys leave your boat in the water over the summer?   what do you do from preventing it from sinking from rain water?  my brother in law tried that for one weekend and found the boat just inches from sinking.  

Looking for some possible solutions because I hate trailering the boat back and back to the launch.  i know bilge is an option, but worried about it failing or the battery dying.

Thanks.

Good cover, auto bilge & a solar panel to keep the battery topped up if you don't have power available.  Back in the day Dad used to just tie the boat up to mooring posts driven in the lakebed, no cover no pump.  My first job every Friday evening was to wade out & bail out the @##$%#!*&^%$ er!  Try that in May!

Michael

• Like 1

Umm...the ones I had were direct connect trickles with "overload controllers", or so it said on the package.  They were the ones Canadian Tire often put on sale for 10-15 bucks.  I didn't have but the one main battery attached to it, real basic setup.

Michael

3 hours ago, Loonietoon said:

Hey Lew Does Misty River still have your old Crestliner?

Yup, he sure does Kelvin & the motor too, infact he just did the 1st repair on the motor a couple years ago, not bad for a '99  Merc with many many hours on it.

• Haha 1

Dave a 12 volt 500 gallon per hour pump pulls 2 amps per hour. If it is only to get rid of rain water meaning the boat does not leak much you should not need a charger if you are visiting it weekly.  Now if we get one heck of a rainstorm season then you might need to check on it. I have a 28ft that lives in the water covered and it has two pumps 2000 gallons an hour that are hooked to a bank of two house batteries . I haves been off shore power for a week at a time  with no charging except for the motors being run without any issues. 

Art