A Fall Yak Fish in the Highlands

gordy28

I had shared a while ago that I had bought a fishing kayak at the end of summer

There were two big motivators - to get out more and to access some lakes I haven't ever fished

Last weekend my brother and I made our way up to the cottage - plan was to hang out and enjoy the quiet, the fire and a few beers and get up in the AM to a small lake we know

n5I3Tyr.jpg

When we got to the lake we realized that we were going to either need to get really muddy/wet to launch or we probably had to trespass.  Mulling the decision my brother said "You know there is another lake 10 minutes from here that is similar but it has a launch"  So off we headed

AhgIA1E.jpg

This lake is a small bowl - about 30 feet deep in the middle with mainly sharp dropping shorelines.  Generally on these lakes we have had the most success finding tapering flats with cabbage beds and getting to the deep side, basically just outside of the weed growth.  Paddling around we really didn't get far before my brother hooked into a beauty smallmouth sitting off a fallen tree.  Within 5 minutes of that I hooked a juvenile muskie casting an Xrap around some lillies. 

9rYl4qj.jpg

Moving around the lake we didn't really get anything for about 35 minutes  - nothing around fallen trees or cabbage beds.  Moving around the lake my brother hooked into a nice largemouth.  He had been casting a wacky rigged worm just outside of the lillies.  About 3 feet deep.  I moved over to the far side of the bay and we started really getting into the bass.  What was interesting is we caught almost a perfect split of large and smallmouths.  Also interesting that it was in about 3 to 5 feet of water.

cgi3oKw.jpg?1

Overall we caught around 9 good sized bass, a few little guys and a 25 inch muskie - not bad for about 3 hours of fishing on a new lake. For the two of us it was a resounding success!

I am still getting used to the yak - I have fished in it around 4 times now - I struggle a bit with boat control (especially compared to my bro who has a Hobie Angler with the Mirage drive) but I feel like I get better each time out.

A big part of the allure is ease and access - where we went in you would have been hard pressed launching anything other than a small car topper - but with the kayaks - no problems at all

Probably going for one more trip at least - will post a report as always

Cheers

Andrew (aka Gordy)

• Like 4

6 hours ago, gordy28 said:

A big part of the allure is ease and access - where we went in you would have been hard pressed launching anything other than a small car topper - but with the kayaks - no problems at all

Do not forget about us tooners. We can access anywhere as well.

Great report gordy

Thanks all  - Brian I looked at a float based on all of your reports but my bro jumped the gun and got a Kayak and once I tried his there was no going back lol

Tons of sites and places with articles on which kayak and why - but feel free to PM me if anyone has any questions as I looked for about 6 months before I bit the bullet - happy to provide my two cents

Hoping to head out one or two more times before its to cold 

Cheers

Andrew

2 hours ago, gordy28 said:

Thanks all  - Brian I looked at a float based on all of your reports but my bro jumped the gun and got a Kayak and once I tried his there was no going back lol

If I were to go to the yak,it would be peddle or motorized. Also have stabilizers. A MUST for me. LOL

Thanks for the report - I love seeing kayak fishing reports!

I enjoy kayak fishing so much that I realized I wasn't using my boat anymore so I sold it.

Was just out on Saturday and picked up this hawg (sorry night pics are hard)

Check out Kawartha Kayak Fishing Club on Facebook if you want to link up with an active community. 

0424891A-E24D-474B-B71E-8C7A70AE61F1.jpeg

26C73233-D893-41E5-B42E-56459B0004F9.jpeg

Edited by Dutch01

You guys sure did it right. Thay sounds like a dream weekend, especially if you can share it will someone you care for. Fall for me is my favorite season and especially for fishing. Any species. You need to do some catching up and rig your toons like Missfish's. 

Dutch01, that is a real hog you got there., especially for the Kawartha's. Way to go. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Dutch01, that is a real hog you got there., especially for the Kawartha's. Way to go. 

Thanks - believe it or not I get quite a few that size every year at this spot. I cant seem to catch a damn thing there during the day though so it's a good thing I like the night shift!