Met a fellow angler from the past

misfish

When one walks the river,you hear many chats about . I have run into guys from the past days of river fishing,but never have I knew them nor their names. I would just ear drop and hear things. You know, we caught this there and here, oh you should of seen the one I got last week.

This one conversation this morning had me listening. I even stopped drifting to hear this. I just stood there in the water, lit up a cigar and listened. My gawd,the story they were telling made me so thankful I no longer fish these areas they were talking about.  During one part of their talk,I piped up.

Seems it has got to the point where fishing in the southern tribs has gotten worse since the 80,s.  I mentioned the clay banks at ErinDale. Oh the conversation got good. The younger fellas had some good stories. Back when I fished it,it was probly 20 or so guys shoulder to shoulder and everyone got along. Mostly cuz we were all regulars. Now,it,s 40-70 guys. There are even threats and fistacuffs. WOW UNREAL

The older fella and I, had a good chat about another river system down that way. We both remembered many things from back in the day. It was good to share the old times. We pretty much fished the same stretches.

I told him since I moved up here,I have never even thought about heading down there to fish. Funny thing,he moved up here as well and said the same thing. We are  starting to get the crowds up here now, but when the cold sets in,the numbers lower greatly. Also I have spots to get away from them,so have ater.

Shame that it has gotten to this on the river. 

Thought I would share my sorta feel good back in the day chat.

BTW, it was -1 this morning for about 2 hours on the river. Didn't reach +4 til 11 am.  1 shaker hook up ,a jump and spit. It,s a start.:Gonefishing:

Edited by misfish
  • Like 2

Good story Bri. I have no desire to fish the creeks around here like I did when I was younger. My son and I went to look at the fish in a nearby creek a couple weeks ago. We popped out on the creek from a trail up higher on the bank and surprised a guy taking another guy from behind on all fours. 

It's just a crap show down here.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, chris.brock said:

Good story Bri. I have no desire to fish the creeks around here like I did when I was younger. My son and I went to look at the fish in a nearby creek a couple weeks ago. We popped out on the creek from a trail up higher on the bank and surprised a guy taking another guy from behind on all fours. 

It's just a crap show down here.

Hear ya brother.

And this morning was a funny one. Met up with my son and his buddy. My son introduces me to him. The firsts words out of his buddy's mouth,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Dude,I know this guy, I watch his you tube channel. This is your dad ? This guy slays the white fish. He even invented the goby fly man. So cool to meet you sir. My quick response was, DO NOT CALL ME SIR.  LMAO

My kid has some real cool fishing buddy's. :Gonefishing::good:

• Like 1

On 10/6/2019 at 12:27 PM, misfish said:

We popped out on the creek from a trail up higher on the bank and surprised a guy taking another guy from behind on all fours. 

Where the hell are you fishing??? That is something I don't need to ever see, let alone on the river while fishing! lol

• Haha 3

On 10/7/2019 at 2:25 PM, Rattletrap2 said:

Where the hell are you fishing??? That is something I don't need to ever see, let alone on the river while fishing! lol

Gotta be Oshawa.....I still fish there but only in groups. Lots of junkies down there that want to rob you for a fix.

5 hours ago, Dutch01 said:

Gotta be Oshawa.....I still fish there but only in groups. Lots of junkies down there that want to rob you for a fix.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Met another one of yer yaker buddies a few ago. He has an awesome set up.

And my old Italian friend this morning landed a beauty of a chinny this morning. :Gonefishing::good:

Edited by misfish
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, misfish said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Met another one of yer yaker buddies a few ago. He has an awesome set up.

And my old Italian friend this morning landed a beauty of a chinny this morning. :Gonefishing::good:

You still taking the toon out on the Simcoe or are you done for the season?  I've got about another month to go. Starting to mix in the river already though.....

Edited by Dutch01

On 10/7/2019 at 2:25 PM, Rattletrap2 said:

Man that's something you can't un see. Cool story about your son's buddy. You do realize you are famous Brian, or is it infamous! If I am close enough to someone I can eaves drop on their conversation it's time for me to move. That was when I could wade in  the river or shoreline. Do they make walkers for fishing? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2019 at 6:41 AM, Moosebunk said:

Quite the stories from here both ends. Geeesh!

And to think ,,,,,,,,,,,,

With the rain fall called for over night and this morning ,I would of expected many to stay home.  I  was already up at 5 am and can not just stay home so, I headed to the river. Like I expected when I got there, there was only me . I get suited up. Car pulls in. We walk the trail together and have a friendly chat. As we chatted, I had mentioned my son was at the Geen for the King of the drift. Next question ? Whom would be your son ? Mention his name and well there ya go. Another friend of the son and his buddies.  He asked what stretched I was fishing ? Turned out we both wanted the same. I offered up the main spot and headed up stream. Turns out being from Barrie, I am the local to this guy. I guess a 20 minute drive ,compared to an hour, I am . LOL