Cozumel charters?

pike slayer

Hi guys, I booked a Cozumel resort for this December for my wife and I anniversary. We want to book a fishing charter for our anniversary even though it's suppose to be a bit of the off season there for fishing. I was looking at between chichi and Cozumel charters. Does any one been there and can recommend a company? Any experience? Anyone other advice?

Those “deep sea” fishing trips are typically not a great day on the water unless you book it privately for your group. Otherwise they jam as many people as they can on the boats and if you are lucky you may get a chance to catch a real fish. Sometimes you’ll anchor and jig up a few crappie small ones just so that they can say you caught!  For people that have never fished before it’s exciting to catch a couple of dink’s. It’s the ocean equivalent of catching rock bass under a dock on worms.

Typically not many charters will anchor up and Jig as the entire west side of the island is a marine sanctuary, and there not even allowed to put lines down until past the reef/drop-off.  I've used Cozumel charters 3 times over the years, and did well on 2 of the trips for Mahi and sailfish.  The sailfish migration is not until spring (march-may) but most charters go to the south end of the island out from Punta Sur for Mahi.  There are also some bonefish guides that do fly fishing on the north end of the island, however the ones I looked into were pricey, so we never went.  Good Luck while there, and make sure to go into downtown to Wet Wendy's margarita bar....you wont be disappointed..

Edited by steelhedrmatt

Yea, go to Cuba. I wouldn't go to Mexico today if you paid me. But I hope you have a great time. Don't go off the reservation alone. 

edit. There was a time when a family member had a condo in Acapulco and we went up to 3 times a year for 20 years. 

I just Googled crime in Cozumel. I don't want to paint the entire country with the same brush. It does have a very low crime rate. Have fun. You had better buy her something to give her there during an expensive dinner besides a boarding pass.  I might not know where to go fishing but after more than 60 years of wooing them I know a bit, no one knows everything, about women they love shinny little trinkets.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

So I booked with "fishing with Pedro" a guy with one boat. His Facebook page looks good with great reviews. I was reading that the main ones have multiple boats and hire guys that know nothing about fishing. If I were to stay on the main land and for someone also interested search Roberto narravo guiding. He tournament fishes down there and guides. And the wife knows we are spending more then enough on the trip and charter etc. I've been to Mexico a few times now and I feel perfectly safe there especially Cozumel. Jamaica on the other hand was the complete opposite I'd never go back there

Cozumel is my favourite destination of all the places I’ve been. I’ve been there 6 times now. The last time we were fortunate enough to be there during carnival.  Have fun. Don’t be afraid to venture downtown and through the market. Is very safe there and the people are amazing. 

4 hours ago, steelhedrmatt said:

Cozumel is my favourite destination of all the places I’ve been. I’ve been there 6 times now. The last time we were fortunate enough to be there during carnival.  Have fun. Don’t be afraid to venture downtown and through the market. Is very safe there and the people are amazing. 

Good to know. Thanks. It's strange how so many people can have different opinions. We regularly go to Jamaica every 5 years or so for the last 30, I don't go off the resort much other than to golf and visit Dunn's River Falls. I have always felt safe there but wouldn't go to Mo Bay or Kingston alone for any reason. 

I’ve been there twice in the last few years and hooked up with a fly fishing guide service bonefishcozumel.com. I now have him as a friend on Facebook and we keep in touch regularly. Alberto is top notch.

Fantastic trips on the north end of the island with miles of skinny water and tons of fish. Three days in total and double digit bonefish everyday. You don’t need to fly fish at all either. They do spinning outfits too and I pack my own travel rod with 2500 series reel. Bonefish love small bucktails and swim jigs. He ties his own and they work incredible. The Berkeley swim jigs in 3” were killer too with bright colour jig heads. Never really used anything else.

loads of barracuda, jacks and snapper around too. I stayed at the north end resorts and each day walked the beach and cast the surf. Lots of little jacks

• Like 1

Its been manny years but my wife and I went to Cozumel on a diving vacation.  We still say it was one of the best vacations we have had.  We were there during some kind of carnival.  I think it was Feb or March.  We walked around town and to and from the hotel without ever feeling unsafe.  

I did a charter there as well. Too long ago for the name to matter.   We did a half day trip With 4 of us on a big center console with tower.  It was about 35ft. .  we went outside the reef and trolled.  We got barracuda and blackfin tuna. It was pretty rough even though shore was visible.  The tuna were a lot of fun.  Unbelievable fight.  A few got taken by sharks as we brought them in.