Florida Intercoastal Dock Fishing

Toronto_Angler

Got an Airbnb with the Family here in Indian Shores Florida for the next 2 weeks. Got a dock in the back yard so just tossing out some frozen shrimp on a jig head and seeing what I can catch. Mostly catching some saltwater catfish that put up a pretty damn good fight. Had the fun of getting finned by one with my careless handling so spent the next hour with my hand in hot water! Also caught this other fish attached that Im not sure what it is if maybe some members can help? Thinking small mackeral? It put on a hell of  a display jumping out of the water.

Anyone fish down here and have any tips I can use or what else I can catch? Must admit I'm a rookie to saltwater fishing.

florida.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like a ladyfish.   

You'll do really well in the dark, you can legally use a light at night to attract bait which in turn attracts the bigger fish.  I wouldn't be surprised if you'd get some snook around there at night time.   Shrimp and jigheads is a pretty simple setup, basically all I use when fishing Florida (Although I use half a shrimp).  You're close to all kinds of good fishing, I'd definitely get out on the beaches as well and fish the Gulf.  Maybe head up towards Sand Key Park and see what you can find there?  I usually do most of my fishing near Honeymoon Island State Park on the dog beach in the main channel.  Pick up some Docs goofy jigs, tip with half a shrimp and snap them back fast.  I've caught everything on that setup.  Sharks, pomps, ladyfish, rays, jacks, mackerel, whitings, snook etc.  

Edited by BillM

You can also do well using a popping cork rig. The bait shop will set you up with the rig and some live shrimp. The lady fish in itself is also a bait fish cut into hunks and strips. A silver and blue rattle trap and the same color in a zara spook for dusk should round out the fun. if you get into the surf don't always assume that the further you cast the bigger or more fish you catch. Look at the waves breaking and cast out at 2 o clock behind where the waves break and reel in fast the rattle trap for some fun action. enjoy the saltwater you will find lb for lb some really hard fighting fish. 

Art

only thing i can add is if you get to the coast fish the troughs even the one right close to shore  its amazing how many fish cruise past the people standing on the 1st sand bar!

My go to bait now are fish bite strips have brought them back and have used the on walleye and salmon

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aplumma said:

You can also do well using a popping cork rig. The bait shop will set you up with the rig and some live shrimp. The lady fish in itself is also a bait fish cut into hunks and strips. A silver and blue rattle trap and the same color in a zara spook for dusk should round out the fun. if you get into the surf don't always assume that the further you cast the bigger or more fish you catch. Look at the waves breaking and cast out at 2 o clock behind where the waves break and reel in fast the rattle trap for some fun action. enjoy the saltwater you will find lb for lb some really hard fighting fish. 

Art

Love saltwater fishing, my fave.

My snowbird folks have a similar set-up, dock on an intercostal canal around Tampa.  That lady fish is a good catch!  Catfish are plentiful in the canals they'll pretty much eat anything.  You can also get into some jacks which have great pull for their size. I target jacks with either a plain white zara spook or a plain silver spoon with a single siwash hook.  I find the fishing there is most dependent on the tides, with high tide being the best and an hour on each side.  If you find some areas where there is a good current during the high tide you can get into a mess of red fish and sea trout using shrimp under a popping cork bobber.  I've also caught flounder using a simple bottom rig: small hook, 3-4 foot of leader, swivel and egg sinker.  I usually go around Christmas so the grouper are out of season and moved out farther into the gulf.  If you can get in a boat pretty much most structure you'll find holds grouper, sea bass and porgies.  We'll set up up wind from the structure, anchor down, chum bag off the back and just cast shrimp or ballyhoo into the chum stream.  We get a mixed bag of cobia, mangrove snapper, spanish mackerals, remoras, puffer fish and shark.

• Like 1

I've fished a lot in Fla. My go to was a simple flouro leader, a few split shot and what I call a casting float bait is Calamari or shrimp. Any of our minnow baits, crankbaits and spoons we use here will work there. The casting floats I use are about 4" and are weighted. You can toss them a long way from the dock or shore. If you decide to wade in the water make sure you have something on your feet and never walk anywhere you can't see your feet. I kick up the sand before I step forward. I once had the shock of my life when I stepped on a Ray. Lucky I didn't get stung. I was told by a neighbor depending on the Ray you can die before you get to shore. Caught everything from common Jacks to Sharks down there. Nothing more exciting to get a 20 pound Bat Ray on medium spinning gear. Be sure to rinse your tackle with fresh water after every outing otherwise it will rust if you fish salt or brackish water. Make sure you get the proper fishing license and a copy of the regs. available on-line to make sure you are good to go. Those C.O.'s are a serious bunch. 

Good luck, be safe and have fun. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

33 minutes ago, Toronto_Angler said:

Did the doc goofy jig and caught some more ladyfish and nice redfish but no phone on me dang. Going to hit the surf tonight and see what I can come up with using some of the techniques here. Might just move down here lol

Docs are awesome, you can really zip them out there!

• 3 weeks later...

Those saltwater cats have toxin and bacteria on their spines and you can get a very nasty infection from them.  I avoid handling them at all (I take a boga grip and long pliers, or just cut the hook off if its deep).

I love it when we rent a house that has kayaks.  Even when they are not fishing ones, you can grab some shrimp or squid and head out and catch lots of fish.  Just make sure you have a license if you go out on the water.  And know the regulations.  There are size limits and seasons and the FWC is not lenient.