Kevin O’Leary’s wife, Linda O’Leary, charged in fatal Lake Joseph boat crash

FishFishing

I spent many many years chasing muskies after dark and really enjoyed it but heading back to the dock could be dangerous with other boats on the water with no lights on. I always drove at slow speeds and ALWAYS had a flashlight to scan the waters ahead of me.

Unlike some on this board I don't consider myself an expert on everything under the sun and will let this case play out the way it's sposed to with a judge listening to all the facts and then making his decision.

I wasn't there when it happened and I doubt anyone else from this board were either, so I find it interesting how many have already decided who was at fault without knowing the actual facts.

But that's just me.

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, woodenboater said:

Could she have been driving too fast for the conditions ? I mean if it was close to midnight, I'd be moving very slowly, even if I knew the waters well. I'm presuming the O'Leary boat drove up onto the larger craft, which is why I'm wondering about speed.

How could anyone disagree with that? Which was my first thought after considering the deaths and injuries of the other boat occupants. However both boat operators are responsible, equally.

1 hour ago, lew said:

I spent many many years chasing muskies after dark and really enjoyed it but heading back to the dock could be dangerous with other boats on the water with no lights on. I always drove at slow speeds and ALWAYS had a flashlight to scan the waters ahead of me.

Unlike some on this board I don't consider myself an expert on everything under the sun and will let this case play out the way it's sposed to with a judge listening to all the facts and then making his decision.

I wasn't there when it happened and I doubt anyone else from this board were either, so I find it interesting how many have already decided who was at fault without knowing the actual facts.

But that's just me.

Very well said and put Lew, could not agree any more

With the other boat not having it's lights on, Greenspan and whatever else money can buy, I don't think there's any chance for a conviction on Mrs O'Leary.

For those that think the courts can sort out the facts and get the story straight and make a just decision in something like this, I politely say bull crap, I disagree.

This story disgusts me. 2 people died and 3 kids lost their mom.

Charge everyone with whatever they can if something sticks the Crown wins. Lets see what happens. I bet some guilty please are forthcoming. When this social media stuff became a thing I promised myself I would never practice Law or Medicine online and still won't. I only missed about 8 years of education to do so and if I did get a degree in each it wouldn't be for free. 

I'm watching "Xena Warrior Princess" in the background of this post. Man I forgot I was in love with Lucy Lawless back in the 90'. You yungins' need to Google Lucy.

Gotta go. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

On 9/24/2019 at 3:36 PM, gaspumper said:

Why would he have to give a breathalyzer? His wife was charged for careless operation of a vessel not impaired operation. 

Actually, there is some logic to testing everybody.

If an investigation revealed that a different person than they claimed was driving, it would be useful to know that person's blood alcohol level at the time of the incident.  

Edited by John Bacon
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, chris.brock said:

With the other boat not having it's lights on, Greenspan and whatever else money can buy, I don't think there's any chance for a conviction on Mrs O'Leary.

For those that think the courts can sort out the facts and get the story straight and make a just decision in something like this, I politely say bull crap, I disagree.

Couldn't agree more.....   His lawyers where likely there before the cops.  He's probably got one or two with cottages on the same lake.

She won't get jail time though.  I highly highly doubt it.  She blew under from what I understand.  Hence the tire tracks on her back.  If she was wasted, she MIGHT get jail time. 

23 hours ago, woodenboater said:

Could she have been driving too fast for the conditions ? I mean if it was close to midnight, I'd be moving very slowly, even if I knew the waters well. I'm presuming the O'Leary boat drove up onto the larger craft, which is why I'm wondering about speed.

Exactly what I was thinking. . Anyone who has boated at night knows that on some nights you can see easily and others you can't see a thing.  You have to go reasonably slow..

23 hours ago, Mister G said:

I really believe you love to exercise that power to close threads. Let this discussion continue and please hold back those powers of censorship.  

I decided to answer this in the forum just incase anyone else  thinks that I enjoy ending threads for as you say "power." I am a 57 year old owner of this board, member number 77 from when it started.  I helped write the rules which many have either forgotten or never read. In real life I own and run a plumbing company, manage a farm and have a family life. This does not allow me a lot of time to babysit threads that are breaking the rules or people who choose to break the rules. When a thread goes wrong I try to correct it by editing or warning and if not it gets locked down. I am sure in some eyes that I lock them down to quickly but since you are my guest in this internet home it is my privilege to censor as I deem necessary.  Ending a thread so far early has caused no one any pain except myself when I get P.M. ed on and asked why I locked a thread when the reason is obvious it was offending people or was causing people to argue and turn on each other. For those counting I have locked 13 threads this year to date 7 of them are requests by the original posters. 

Hope this helps answer the question. 

Art

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We are guests in your home here and we have the right to leave if we don't like the rules. I have been here a long time too, over 20 years. In the time you have been running the board,  I might not always agree with you, but I have never known you to be unfair! (oh and I have had a few posts locked and in hindsight deserved it.)

The door swings both ways. Our Admins here do a great job at keeping things civil. Keep up the good work!

I know most people don't like Kevin O'Leary, I personally don't.  2 people lost their lives and 3 kids now have to grow up without a mother. We know very few facts here. The OPP have done their job and laid charges. BOTH drivers. As for lights being on or off, who knows??  Let the courts decide the outcome here. 

12 hours ago, chris.brock said:

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on this perfectly.  Primarily the first sentence. 

If anyone thinks the courts in this province can sort a single thing out, well, re think it. 

S. 

11 hours ago, aplumma said:

I decided to answer this in the forum just incase anyone else  thinks that I enjoy ending threads for as you say "power." I am a 57 year old owner of this board, member number 77 from when it started.  I helped write the rules which many have either forgotten or never read. In real life I own and run a plumbing company, manage a farm and have a family life. This does not allow me a lot of time to babysit threads that are breaking the rules or people who choose to break the rules. When a thread goes wrong I try to correct it by editing or warning and if not it gets locked down. I am sure in some eyes that I lock them down to quickly but since you are my guest in this internet home it is my privilege to censor as I deem necessary.  Ending a thread so far early has caused no one any pain except myself when I get P.M. ed on and asked why I locked a thread when the reason is obvious it was offending people or was causing people to argue and turn on each other. For those counting I have locked 13 threads this year to date 7 of them are requests by the original posters. 

Hope this helps answer the question. 

Art

Art there is absolutely no reason to explain yourself. I haven't always agreed with everything here but respect the fact you guys do this for absolutely nothing but a community service. Actually I won't say for free because I just heard the other day from a unnamed  "whistleblower" (the word of the month)  here you just went out and bought yourself a Ferrari with the proceeds from this free forum. Can I buy in please? I want a new boat. 

edit: A few new boats. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I will say that after thinking about whether it would have been possible for the old driver switcheroo to have occurred, if you’ve ever been questioned by the police, they are usually pretty good at figuring out who was doing what by asking a lot of questions from everyone involved while you are isolated from everyone else. Typically If the stories aint lining up perfectly the truth isn’t being told.

if you immediately lawyer up, then the investigation starts digging away.

I’d like to know what defines “careless operation of a vessel”. She was apparently going 17 k/hr. with lights on. Where is the line? 10k/hr?

I see boats fly by at night here on Pigeon with no lights on all the time. My neighbor goes out after dark trolling for eyes. No lights. Trolls close to shore, fortunately.  Scares the crap out of me.