Kevin O’Leary’s wife, Linda O’Leary, charged in fatal Lake Joseph boat crash

FishFishing

38 minutes ago, FishFishing said:

Who else thinks it was really him that was driving the boat?

There were the same sort of statements made when this 1st happened, let's allow the courts to make that decision. 

The OPP have done their investigation and I highly doubt they'd lay the charges against the wife if they weren't sure of the details.

• Like 4

the "its not her fault because it was night time" angle doesnt apply.

Thats the same complaint people that crash their car when it snows give. They act like the weather caused the accident. If you are driving a boat fast enough at night that you cant see another boat, you are at fault regardless of if they have lights on or not. Although its not the situation here, I can assure you that there has been countless situations where people have been stranded at night with a bad battery in their boat which hasnt allowed them to turn on their navigation lights. In this case the people that shut their lights off are indeed in the wrong, but so are you for not driving according to conditions.

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

I can assure you that there has been countless situations where people have been stranded at night with a bad battery in their boat which hasnt allowed them to turn on their navigation lights. 

And that's the exact reason the law says you WILL have a flashlight in your boat.

• Like 4

Huffington Post article. A bit more info than a fishing websites report. Please let the authorities decide who is guilty or not. 

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/kevin-oleary-wife-charged_ca_5d8a4c47e4b03e63ebabb43a?utm_hp_ref=ca-homepage

If any boater gets stuck in the dark without a working flashlight they didn't do there pre trip check. I have been guilty of the same, more than a few times. Who here hasn't? 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

2 hours ago, 16 Footer said:

If he was drinking then it could be a contributing factor to the accident.

So you're saying if someone sober who has an unfortunate accident as designated driver while ferrying a group of people home,  the passengers should take a breathalyzer.  Seriously.

6 hours ago, 16 Footer said:

If he was drinking then it could be a contributing factor to the accident.

The condition of a passenger has zero to do with contributing to an accident. Of course there is always the exception like distracting to the point it effects the drivers ability to safely operate a car or boat in this case. 

6 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Of course there is always the exception like distracting to the point it effects the drivers ability to safely operate a car or boat in this case. 

That's my point.

His wife  charged with careless operation of a vessel causing 2 deaths plus the possibility of being sued afterwards should bring out the truth in the trial. 

1 hour ago, 16 Footer said:

That's my point.

His wife  charged with careless operation of a vessel causing 2 deaths plus the possibility of being sued afterwards should bring out the truth in the trial. 

Her charges has nothing to do with the deaths.  Simply careless driving.  She is being charged under the shipping act, nothing criminal at all.    It's not careless driving leading to death, or vehicular manslaughter or something like that.  Maybe have a licence suspension or loose her pleasure craft operator card for a set time? 

most she will get is a few demerit points or a fine or something silly like that. 

So they said on the National last night anyways.    

The guy with no lights on, same thing, except he is only facing a fine.  No court, and absolutely nothing linking his charge to the death of his passengers. 

Edited by NAW

15 hours ago, aplumma said:

I am not sure how long this will be open. Please discuss facts and no prejudging the outcome. Be polite and no name calling please.

Art 

I really believe you love to exercise that power to close threads. Let this discussion continue and please hold back those powers of censorship.  

17 hours ago, lew said:

There were the same sort of statements made when this 1st happened, let's allow the courts to make that decision. 

The OPP have done their investigation and I highly doubt they'd lay the charges against the wife if they weren't sure of the details.

They seem to have taken their time to (hopefully) make sure they got things right. That's life, isn't it? One wrong choice and it can all be gone in a split second.