Hunstville Lakers this weekend

Reef Runner

Had one last kick at the laker can this weekend on a small lake in the Huntsville area. Off and on showers and a slow bite saw us taking breaks from down-rigging to going for smallies in sheltered bays.  All the smallies had what I called black-dot parasites, consumable and not harmful if cooked properly but I wouldn't eat it; the fins and skin were covered in these tiny black dots.  All we're released for another days fun.

Back on the troll, we got into some decent lakers (for that small lake - can't hold a candle to the brutes on Simcoe some of our members here are netting).  Lakers were eating a gold Williams, 75 feet behind the ball down 25-40 feet in 80-100 fow.  Kept two for the pan, beautiful clean flesh.  One was LOADED with eggs.  I saved them in a regular ziplock in the fridge for now but was thinking about tying some bags for rainbows or salmon but I';m a newbie at that.  Any tips for preserving these eggs? How long can they sit in my fridge untreated in a bag?  Suitable for rainbows and salmon?

Tight lines fellas,  Reef

Laker.JPG

Edited by Reef Runner

Loose eggs?  Get you some 20 Mule Team borax from Freshco and sprinkle in ziploc until the eggs look well salted.  They will become drier and firm up a bit. Dollarama sells a locking lid container in the craft section that is perfect for loose or scraped trout eggs. Let them sit in the borax for a couple days in the ziploc in the fridge, then scoop them into the containers and fill to the top.  Use the lids to screw tight and squeeze most of the air out. They should keep for a good while in the freezer.  This is how I store all my brown eggs, loose or scraped.  Mature laker roe should work great!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, porkpie said:

Loose eggs?  Get you some 20 Mule Team borax from Freshco and sprinkle in ziploc until the eggs look well salted.  They will become drier and firm up a bit. Dollarama sells a locking lid container in the craft section that is perfect for loose or scraped trout eggs. Let them sit in the borax for a couple days in the ziploc in the fridge, then scoop them into the containers and fill to the top.  Use the lids to screw tight and squeeze most of the air out. They should keep for a good while in the freezer.  This is how I store all my brown eggs, loose or scraped.  Mature laker roe should work great!

Thanks Porkpie, appreciate it! These were definitely loose eggs.

Edited by Reef Runner

2 hours ago, Rattletrap2 said:

Nice, I have never caught a Lake Trout. Definitely on my bucket list!

I would ask you to sit with me MR.B, but that would put me over my pay load.

Nice fish, but I have heard that laker eggs are taboo. For some reason,they give off a scent that will turn fish away. There is probly a very logical explanation for this. :dunno:

• Like 1

21 hours ago, misfish said:

Nice fish, but I have heard that laker eggs are taboo. For some reason,they give off a scent that will turn fish away. There is probly a very logical explanation for this. :dunno:

Interesting...Thanks B (appreciate your input seeing as you're a laker whisperer:worthy:).  Ever try using laker roe? Anyone else ever use laker roe fishing for other salmonoids?

1 hour ago, Reef Runner said:

Interesting...Thanks B (appreciate your input seeing as you're a laker whisperer:worthy:).  Ever try using laker roe? Anyone else ever use laker roe fishing for other salmonoids?

Never had tried. I stick with the norm use roe. Salmon,brown,bow.

On 9/24/2019 at 2:28 PM, misfish said:

Years ago I ran the eggs from a big, Georgian Bay,  Laker backcross Splake, essentially a Laketrout,  I got in the Bighead,  never had a problem catching fish on them.