Jb weld for aluminum transducer bracket

Raycaster

Want to move tranducer on my pontoon as I had it off a bar clamped to back producing a ton of wake and collecting weeds.

i noticed alot of pontoon owners mount the transducer off a back bracket of a toon but Im not that lucky and dont have one. Would a simple adjustable bracket hold with jbweld?

i have included an image and know the angle is wrong etc. But if I cleaned the aluminum and steel clean would jbweld do the job?

image.jpg

14 minutes ago, Raycaster said:

I could fabricate a nice holder but securing it to the aluminum is still the problem.

Fabricate one for off the frame of the toon.  That is what I meant. Use the pontoon as a deflector.

Edited by misfish

First scuff the aluminum for fresh shiny metal with 80 grit as well as the puck board. Wipe both down with alcohol and let dry.  use this https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=3726812 or equal. The scuffing is very important to give the bonding agent something to hook to. Duct tape in place with pressure till it dries. Seal edges with silicone caulk and allow to dry. Drill into puckboard and mount transducer. 

Art

no problem

Polyethylenes can be shaped and formed by standard heat forming techniques. If polyethylene is heated to within 5°C of its melting point, it can be shaped easily and will retain its imposed form on cooling. High density polyethylene for instance should be heated to a range of 130°C — 135°C for forming

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Terry said:

yeah thats what im talking about, i didnt know they sold it as a kit

i wonder what the charge for a 5 buck piece of puck board and some glue

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/stern-saver-mini-transducer-mounting-system

30 bucks, I would rather pay that than adding a couple of holes?

• Like 1

Like the others have said, use the  HDPE plastic. I get mine at a plastics shop for next to nothing. He lets me go through his cut offs bin. I use that stuff for all kinds of things.  I glue mine on with 3M 5200 and its never ever budged. I probably couldn't get it off if I tried.  I have a bunch if your ever in the Peterborough area. 

S. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, porkpie said:

I’ve used 3M 5200 and starboard for 15 years now to secure transducers to the stern of the boats I’ve owned.  The original board that I first mounted without screws is still on the boat (a buddy owns it now). That’s the way I’d go!

X2 5200 is great

This is what we do to mount transducers.

Go to the $ store or Canadian Tire and buy one of those white plastic cutting boards.

Cut it large enough to mount the trans. bracket to.

Using aluminum screws you mount the board to the transom or toon in your case. You can bend the board to the contour of the surface by heating it up and dry fitting it.

You get a tube of 3M 5200. It is the best available outside of NASA. Predrill the holes through the white board into the hull.

Put blobs of 3M5200 into the drilled holes in the hull, slather 5200 all over the board and drilled holes, mount the white board to the hull. 

The next day mount the transducer bracket into the white board again using 3M5200. 

Looking at your bracket you might get a rooster tail with it. The opening between the 2 pieces of horizontal brackets is a space where water can and probably will produce a rooster tail. Filling that gap somehow will stop it. If a rooster tail doesn't get anything or anyone wet it's no big deal. My Humminbird did make a tail that splashed against my kicker and put water into the battery box. Humminbird came out with a small rubber insert available to customers of my specific unit. Supposed to be free but the marina charged 5 bucks, no need to argue over 5 bucks or a buck 30. Sorry Rattletrap, couldn't help myself, all in good fun. 

When ever using adhesive like PL, 3M 4800 or 5200, silicone caulking etc. do not apply it in a circle always an "S" pattern. Air can be trapped in a circle and it won't glue as well. I don't know if it is true or some guys idea of busting balls on the Internet. Sounds logical. I dunno.