Bad Customer Service at Canadian Tire (NF)

Rattletrap2

Folks, I always value the level headed replies on this board. I have a question to ask of you. First some background info.

A few weeks ago, the alternator decided to no longer function on my old 16 year old Toyota Rav4 commuter vehicle. I ain't as young as I once was and decided to have someone else replace it. I called the fellow that has been doing my repairs for the last couple of years and also texted him with the details. I never got so much as a call back! Nice!!

This place is really inconvenient for me to get to, but I liked his work and he was always fair. I often tipped him more than his bill.

I had my truck to drive, so was not too urgent. That was two weeks ago. I called the local garage up the highway from me where I had spent thousands on repairs in the past. They quoted me $1,060.00 to replace the alternator!!! Crazy!

So, finally being cheap, I decided to buy one and replace it myself. Picked one up on September 18th at Canadian Tire as I had to order it the day before and had it brought in. $214.99 + tax. Replaced it yesterday and it took exactly 35 minutes. I stopped in last night to drop off the old one for my $10.00 core fee.

The guy at Auto Parts counter takes it back and says I have to go to Customer Service for my refund. (Strange, because I was able to pay for it at the Auto counter.) Whatever, just another line-up! The kid at the Customer Service Counter says "Here yo go, $10.00 refund". I says, hey wait a minute, you charge me $10 plus tax for $11.30, and I only get $10 back. I know it is only $1.30, but in principal, I say it is wrong. She says, sorry, that is the policy. I say, No way, that is illegal! You can't charge me tax and when i bring it back, I loose the tax. She calls several other people over and combined, they collectively could not do the math! I said if you didn't charge me the tax, that would be one thing, but you did, and I get it back. She finally finds a manager on the phone and he says "It is government policy". I tell he r to fetch this individual to speak to him in person. He slowly makes his way down to me and says"If you don't like it, contact your MP!" Does nit even look at me.

He says there is a sign to this effect at the parts counter. I am so pissed and my dinner is getting cold at home. i take my $10 refund and tell the little &$%# to show me the sign. He clears off some papers and old flyers on the glass counter top and points to a sheet of paper taped to the counter explaining this. The guy that sold me the part and took the old one back was not even aware of this! He was involved the whole time!!!

Am I out to lunch on this or what? Sorry for the long winded rant, but I am furious! I have never heard of such a thing! If I buy something, pay tax, and return it, I get the amount back including tax. He said if i brought the old one back at the exact same time as i purchased, this would not apply. I nearly went over the counter at him! How the hell would I be able to do that if I had not changed the part yet? If I had an old one with me, I would not be paying the core charge deposit!!

Read and calculate your receipt carefully to determine that you were in fact charged the tax.   Calmly compose an email to CT head office customer service.  Each  CT store is a franchise but they must obey the rules like it or not.  It's obvious this store needs some training or a kick in the a$$.  In short, you are right, if you paid the tax on the 10.00 core charge you get it back when you return the core.  That's law as far as I'm aware.

Michael

MR.B

WTH

You do not need to get yer blood pressure up and god knows, you have enough white ( not grey ) in that beard.  I get yer point in this and ya, it,s a pisser.  I went fishing this morning after a very  long work week. (been awhile since I did one of these ) Once I walked into the river,made that cast, I was once again back to my normal self.

Go fishing.

NO TAX ON THAT

B :Gonefishing:

You can go after the corporate if you want but when you have more years behind you than ahead of you is it really worth the aggravation you get? I would put this in the category of now I am warned and will bring the core with me. BTW yes you are right they should not have charged tax on a core and if the do it should be refunded when you turned the core in if they did. 

Cheers

Art

• Thanks 1

To answer your question you are "out to lunch."

I once worked in payroll at a plant of 10,000 hourly rated workers and I always got the guy that was short on his pay 25 cents or a buck something and wanted to argue with me and told me I don't know how to do my job. If I put my hand in my pocket and pulled out a quarter to save myself some unnecessary work but it wasn't good enough. He wanted his entire 2 week pay recalculated because he was positive it would get him into a tax bracket that was to his advantage. I'd make him wait for an hour, and they did for pennies for God sakes. I had to do it with a smile while the work on my desk piled up and I wasn't getting out of the office until it's all done. 25 pennies, 130 pennies. what the hell man more important things in life to get stressed over. You are probably right, perhaps, but being right doesn't always mean you have to prove it. I think my Mother was related to you somehow. 

I tell everyone that moans and groans over stuff like this crraap. Spend 15 minutes at the Children's Hospital walking up and down the wards, then come back and tell me you have problems. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Rattletrap2 said:

Art,

How about you send me the $1.30......thats Canadian......so maybe 20 cents American. Just put a note with it saying sorry for your aggravation, Canadian Tire. I'll go away happy and quiet! lol

I feel better already!

Arrrr that metric money thingggy always confuses me. I really do get the injustice and wanting to correct the wrong. I once spent 3 days in front of the Nissan dealer who wouldn't repair a leaking rear seal because it was 1000 miles past the warranty. I parked on the street in front with a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood asking people to hear my story before they bought a Nissan. I had promised the manager that I would not quit till I had convinced 10 people not to buy a Nissan. I figure it was around 300,000.oo dollars worth of sales. It took me three days and I did it because I felt wronged and they wouldn't work with me on it. 

Art

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

To answer your question you are "out to lunch."

I once worked in payroll at a plant of 10,000 hourly rated workers and I always got the guy that was short on his pay 25 cents or a buck something and wanted to argue with me and told me I don't know how to do my job. If I put my hand in my pocket and pulled out a quarter to save myself some unnecessary work but it wasn't good enough. He wanted his entire 2 week pay recalculated because he was positive it would get him into a tax bracket that was to his advantage. I'd make him wait for an hour, and they did for pennies for God sakes. I had to do it with a smile while the work on my desk piled up and I wasn't getting out of the office until it's all done. 25 pennies, 130 pennies. what the hell man more important things in life to get stressed over. You are probably right, perhaps, but being right doesn't always mean you have to prove it. I think my Mother was related to you somehow. 

I tell everyone that moans and groans over stuff like this crraap. Spend 15 minutes at the Children's Hospital walking up and down the wards, then come back and tell me you have problems. 

Wow! You tell me I am "out to lunch", explain how you were not able to do your job properly (on more than one occasion), decide to "slag" your Mother, and then try to make me feel bad compared to the children in a hospital! Who is the miserable old man here? lol

I'm not saying this is world ending problem! I'm also not saying that it is more important than all the other %&^#$ed up situations we are in!

I am merely trying to find out if this is indeed legal.

Thanks for your input.

59 minutes ago, Rattletrap2 said:

Wow! You tell me I am "out to lunch", explain how you were not able to do your job properly (on more than one occasion), decide to "slag" your Mother, and then try to make me feel bad compared to the children in a hospital! Who is the miserable old man here? lol

I'm not saying this is world ending problem! I'm also not saying that it is more important than all the other %&^#$ed up situations we are in!

I am merely trying to find out if this is indeed legal.

Thanks for your input.

You asked "am I out to lunch?" I answered yes. You are putting a lot of words in my mouth. Relax. 

If you Google "Application of HST to core charges" you will see how CT was right and you are wrong with examples for different scenarios. 

Do you really think a large chain like CT would be ripping off customers with illegal activities with likely hundreds of parts with core charges sold daily from their stores?

Honestly, you sound like the typical grumpy old man with an attitude problem who thinks everyone is out to rip you off. I can only imagine how unpleasant it was for the employees to deal with you. 

Send me your email and I will EMT the $1.30 that you believe was stolen from you. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

You asked "am I out to lunch?" I answered yes. You are putting a lot of words in my mouth. Relax. 

OI, I am relaxed! In 288 days, I will be more relaxed! Maybe one day we will limp down to the waters edge and fish together!

ch312, thanks for your input! I will definitely read your link. It still does not relive them of terrible customer service skills!

when i read tax info they say you do not get the tax back  however ctc policy says a refund  .  to me a refund means money back, not buying the core back

A core charge, sometimes called a casting charge, is a form of deposit you pay on a car part until returning your old part. If you do not have the old part with you at the time of purchase of the new part, you must pay the core charge. That charge is refunded to you when you return the old part. Like a bottle deposit, the charge is designed to encourage recycling.

15 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Rattletrap, I don't want to get into any urination contest with you, too nice of a day. I'll will respectfully bow out. Have a good one. 

It is not a urination contest! I said we can limp down to the water and fish together!

Let it go....I have! I agree, have a good day Sir!