Fishing Hay Bay

dave1965

I'm almost ashamed to admit this ( lol), but I'm fishing Quinte for the first time at Hay Bay. We're staying at Bayview on Hay Bay cottages next weekend and I was hoping I could get a few pointers. 

Wondering if it's a bit to early for walleye as friends have suggested that later in the Fall is better. I read a post that the Uzzick spinner works great but I can't find a single place around the GTA that sells them. I'll try the usual trolling with raps, worm harnesses and some spinners. 

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Fished there more than a few times in Sept and Oct. and 2 of my fishing buddies go there every year for a week at the end of Sept. with the wives. Like any other fishing trip some good fishing and some poor fishing.

The go to was Shad Raps. When we found the fish trolling we would drift Lindy Rigs tipped with black leather imitation Leeches or black twister tails. 12 to 20 feet of H2O. 

Mann Stretch 20's off of planner boards, 200ft behind the board and 150 out from the boat. Colour is dependent on grey or blue skies.

Fish from the Hay Bay boat launch to the mouth of the bay or back in the bay near the island if you feel like casting.

HH

I’m sure uziks work, a couple years ago I inherited a bunch of them with my new to me boat.  But there are much better options for a worm presentation imho.  I’d just use a standard worm harness if that’s the way you want to go.  Any of my quinte fishing has been near ram island in the spring.  I couldn’t tell you the fall patterns, but I’d lean towards cranks as you’ve been told.  That said, I was taking fish on harnesses tonight on nippissing with no problems so who can say! 

I was just down near hay bay his past weekend and it was tough fishing 5 and half hours on the water and I only caught one walleye and it was way under the slot limit we were up at a place called Shermans Point there was a lot of floating weeds on the surface that made it very difficult to troll without getting weeds on your lure.

I did notice that there was fishermen out from shermans point in deep water drifting so maybe that's where the walleye were hiding I also found the water more murkier than usual there must have been a good wind storm that churned up the bottom.