Anyone use trolling spoons for casting?

huzzsaba

48 minutes ago, BillM said:

Is the OP still alive after eating that thing?

Lol.  Yes and well. SOrry been busy.  Gave most of it away.  I keep one (first one) every year and release others unless a friend wants. Went out 2 days later and caught 2 more on the same spoon . Both on first and second cast!  that spoon works well!

On 9/23/2019 at 11:46 PM, Old Ironmaker said:

Huzz, please clean the rust off that 5 of Diamonds.I bet you catch more like that. Nice fish Huzz. I could never tie a spoon in that shape on. But the proof is in the puddin'. Come to think of it that might be fish blood. 

was a bit discolored.  DId change it out with a new one before the second trip.  

18 hours ago, J Roelofsen said:

I just noticed the swivel your using! Yikes!! Do yourself a favour and upgrade those! I wouldn't trust those cheap brassy things to much smaller fish, let alone a big angry chinny ?

Josh 

I've never had an issue with those swivels.  I like to use the plain black ones without swivel, but if I catch on one type, I stick with it because i know it works.

On 9/23/2019 at 5:30 PM, misfish said:

A smoker will make that fish just right for the taste buds. Nice going Huzz.  I was looking at these moon shine spoons yesterday. Crazy pricing. I,ll stick to my rapalas and spinners,kwik fish and flat fish.

the len Thompson spoon I used works great! in 3 outings, caught 5.  Previously caught a few on lil cleo orange and white glow spoon.  So far none on moonshine.

We fisher guys are a strange bunch I tell ya". You just keep on catching them on the stuff you like, but using those cheap CTC brass coloured swivels made in China will fail when you get that 30 plus pounder on, this I guarantee.  I once saw a grown man cry when he lost his personal best Walleye that hardly fit through the 8" hole in the ice on Quinte, It straightened out like a bobby pin. 

Why the italics don't ask me. 

Johnny D out. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Why the italics don't ask me. . 

I guess the computer knew you were an Italian Canadian, eh?

Re crankbaits----I have hit a couple of bows in the river on a Big O but they spat the hook. Never heard of using soft plastics such as swimbaits. Would they work in rivers, I wonder?? Maybe a Senko worm??????????

Steelies are easily the dumbest fish in Ontario waters. They'll hit anything that fits in their mouth, particularly fresh out of the lake. I personally haven't thrown swim baits for them but senkos definitely work under a float. I've got a couple smaller safety pin style spinnerbaits I'm gonna get some steelies on over the next few weeks just for fun ?

Josh 

• Haha 1

The 3" senkos work well for steelies, even 4" in big or stained water. I've used up to 6" worms with success in dirty water, they'll eat a big bait! It always amazes me how small of baits and lures guys will use for Steelies. They have no problem eating big meals in the lake and they're no different when they enter a river as long as they haven't been pressured.

I'd say #2 hooks in 4" senkos and #6 in the 3".... Wacky rigging works great in super slow water, an occasional twitch of the float can trigger a violent strike. In moving water I'll usually start threading my hook through that style of bait about 1/3 of the way down the body and thread it just far enough to hide the eye inside the bait with the point fully exposed. 

Josh 

Edited by J Roelofsen

10 hours ago, J Roelofsen said:

Steelies are easily the dumbest fish in Ontario waters. They'll hit anything that fits in their mouth, particularly fresh out of the lake. I personally haven't thrown swim baits for them but senkos definitely work under a float. I've got a couple smaller safety pin style spinnerbaits I'm gonna get some steelies on over the next few weeks just for fun ?

Josh 

LOL. I won't say they are dumb, just on a mission, to feed! We caught them on Erie here on tubes, grubs, and crankbaits, fishing for smallies.

Dumb as a stump IMO!!! They are by far the easiest species to catch consistently, year round here in the great lakes region. I can't count the number of times I've caught the same Steelie twice on back to back casts. Caught the same one 3 times last fall and another a 1/2dz times over a weekend between a buddy and I ......dumb! ??

Josh 

Edited by J Roelofsen
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, SirCranksalot said:

Re crankbaits----I have hit a couple of bows in the river on a Big O but they spat the hook. Never heard of using soft plastics such as swimbaits. Would they work in rivers, I wonder?? Maybe a Senko worm??????????

One of the rivers we fished here has a resident population of largemouth and a steelhead run in the fall, it wasn't unusual to hook a steelhead on a tube while bass fishing, I think a swimbait would work,

I destroyed browns last year on the Niagara from shore running big swimbaits on 3/4oz-1oz Kalins bullet jigs.    That was a fun pattern to fish.   Cranks for steel can be deadly as well.  My biggest steelhead was a hardware fish.  Time and place for everything.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, SirCranksalot said:

Ya think?