Crankbaits versus Walleye!

Mad_angler_67

That is one big question. I say it all depends on the water you are fishing. i.e. We used Wally Divers almost 90% of the time on The Bay of Quinte. Tried my best using them on Lake Nippising and couldn't catch a thing after hours trolling with them. I had a bet with my father in law and I lost.  I have caught nice Pics in the Fall casting crankbaits to the shoreline on Quinte to in Fall. At Burleigh Falls we got them from shore using Black Fury's. If you didn't tip them with a worm they wouldn't take it and wouldn't touch a crankbait when we fished there . A buddy has a place on a small lake east of Pt Au Baril and every pic we have caught there went for certain worm harnesses no crankbaits, so far. I could go on and on for a few pages. To answer your question, yes I use crankbaits and many different ones depending on many factors. Different lakes, temps, weather and wind it all depends on what the Pics want to have for dinner that part of the day.  

I also have to say many fisher guys and gals call some hardware crankbaits and they really aren't. 

• Like 1

If it's any help?   http://www.hotbitefishingcharters.com/top-ten-crankbaits-lake-erie-walleye-2/

The Blue Pike - Walleye days on Lake Erie were over when I was a kid, but all the people that used to fish for them always seemed to have a bunch of Flatfish in their tackle boxes, or Benos.

Storm wiggle warts and Hot n tots always caught fish for me back in the 1980's years of the hot bite. I preferred the Wiggle warts because the bill was molded as part of the lure, the hot n tots had a metal bill that would break loose and allow them to fill with water making them useless.

Bandit crankbaits like the 200-300 series worked too, but the wiggle warts seemed to have the edge most days.

Probably depth control and the ability to keep a lure running at the depth were they are hanging out on any particular day is more of an issue?

Caught Erie walleye casting blade baits, lipless cranks, and tubes, LOL, just lucky enough to stick them in their faces!

I do most of my walleye fishing current on rivers.  I can't run anything more then 4' to 6' deep in a lot of cases.  X-RAP XR-10.  They have a nice loud rattle.    Anything in black and gold. 

I also enjoy trolling for them sometimes, and have had great luck with jointed raps.  

Most walleye are near the bottom. Near rocks or weedbeds. They seem to prefer a wider wobble. Like you get with advertised walleye crankbaits. In the fall fish tend to be deeper. Get what ever you use near the bottom. Use a bottom bouncer to get down if you need to. Try different speeds. 1-2 mph trolling usually. But I’ve caught them at faster speeds. Dawn/dusk is best. Even better just before a storm. 

On 9/18/2019 at 10:42 AM, OhioFisherman said:

If it's any help?   http://www.hotbitefishingcharters.com/top-ten-crankbaits-lake-erie-walle

the hot n tots had a metal bill that would break loose and allow them to fill with water making them useless.

I have  few Hot n Tot's in the treasure chest. I like them because of the metal lip. Easy to change depths just by simply bending the lip up or down. Never had 1 break. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

12 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I have  few Hot n Tot's in the treasure chest. I like them because of the metal lip. Easy to change depths just by simply bending the lip up or down. Never had 1 break. 

Never had a bill actually break John, but some would loosen up from the plastic and fill with water. It must have been an issue with them for a while because I know they were made with a plastic bill at one time.

On Erie?  http://erieoutfitters.com/index.php?cPath=25_85&osCsid=luti1v4qatqa49bekskrg0b2u7

They host the fall brawl here, and what they are selling for walleye lures also have to produce sales?

23 hours ago, OhioFisherman said:

Never had a bill actually break John, but some would loosen up from the plastic and fill with water. It must have been an issue with them for a while because I know they were made with a plastic bill at one time.

On Erie?  http://erieoutfitters.com/index.php?cPath=25_85&osCsid=luti1v4qatqa49bekskrg0b2u7

They host the fall brawl here, and what they are selling for walleye lures also have to produce sales?

Hey Paul.

Maybe that's why I haven't caught a fish with 1 for a while!!! Haaa. We all get sucked in to the new and improved hardware, each and every year. Rappala's are so expensive now, starting at $12.99 for a small F6, Canadian Tire keeps them locked up in a jewelry case.  

Edited by Old Ironmaker
  • Like 1

Taildancers in #7 or 9, and husky jerks 11 and 13. I've been catching lots on the new scatter rap husky jerks this year. 

Its a pretty vague question though, I use a ton of other cranks, depending on where, when, how deep, conditions etc. 

S. 

21 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Hey Paul.

Maybe that's why I haven't caught a fish with 1 for a while!!! Haaa. We all get sucked in to the new and improved hardware, each and every year. Rappala's are so expensive now, starting at $12.99 for a small F6, Canadian Tire keeps them locked up in a jewelry case.  

Ya John the price of some of the lures out there  seems pretty scary! You're prices up there were even more so, even with the exchange. LOL. one of the nice things about fishing with a bass club or even with other good anglers was you could see what they were using and how the were using it. My brother turned me on to the hot n tots and wiggle warts, they were great Lake Erie walleye lures here, but those wiggle warts also turned into a very good bass lure all over,. don't remember ever catching a bass on a hot n tot.

Some of those Strike King deep divers also look  like a lure that would also work for Erie walleyes? They seem to have a good action and a good history for bass.