Public Service Announsment OAS

Old Ironmaker

I will be 65 on Thanksgiving Day, thank you for your best wishes etc. etc. please send cash gifts only, no cheques or canned goods. I asked a pal last year who is the same age as I "What do we have to do to apply for Old Age Security pension?" He tells me "Oh nothing, they will automatically send it." Ok, now it's Sept and I remember I will be 65 soon. So I borrow 10 bucks from my wife and put 8 bucks in the tank and buy a Timmy's on my way to the closest Service Canada office to ask Mr. T's representative. The young man behind the desk tells me I should have gotten notice the month after my 64th and fill it out, send it in and get paid each and every month thereafter or until the Feds run out of money. Oh great, I don't remember getting anything from the Feds other than an application for long term disability of which I don't qualify for because one must have paid into CPP for the last 2 years. Yea right, the 1st thing I do when I do a job is send more money to the Government. I tell all the yungins' I meet to do exactly that or they will not get anything they didn't pay into. I don't practice what I preach and I am disabled to say the least. Blah, blah poor me.. The young man at S.C. tells me he will print out the 8 page application, fill it out and bring it back to him. Then he says "Oh, I might mention you won't be getting any moula for the next 120 days after your application is approved but it is retroactive." Vunderbar. We are in a common law marriage. That's another form to fill out and it must be Notarized, no problem there, just 25 bananas here in the Village of Cayuga Ontario or a dozen cobs of corn. 

I believe most here are a long way from 65 but if you are I hope you take care of your business better than I take care of mine. I ask 10 pensioners how many Samolians does OAS pay and I get 10 different answers or from the guys with wives that have money have no idea. It's a massive $608.38. That should fill my soon to be gone 1/2 ton 4X4 6 times, with Rez gas. 

Johnny D.

PS. Is anyone here hiring? I can paint with both hands but no ladders or bending over. By the way I called my pal whom is my former business partner that I met at Football practice the 1st day of Grade flippin' 9 and still can't get rid of him was the duffus that told me it is sent automatically. And I believed him, he has been Bee Essing my for the last, I need a calculator, 51 or so years and I believed him, again!!!  I told him today on my way back from Service Canada " Automatic anything isn't a thing in Canada Bubba Boy". He is going to Service Canada tomorrow. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I'll be applying at 60 thank you, I may not make it to 65 and I'm  not going to get screwed like my Sister and my Daughter did with a mear $2500 and $2135 payout respectively because they didn't make it to get paid monthly!! You die before you collect, your estate gets about 4 months worth of what would have been monthly payments AND IT'S TAXABLE !!

Retired at 57, I took CPP at 60 , my OAS just started at 65 with any further input on my part. You should get free ( not really with all the taxes we paid  ) drugs now after a $100 deductible , got my eyes checked last week, OHIP does that yearly for us old folks, some other stuff too , like tax breaks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, irishfield said:

I'll be applying at 60 thank you, I may not make it to 65 and I'm  not going to get screwed like my Sister and my Daughter did with a mear $2500 and $2135 payout respectively because they didn't make it to get paid monthly!! You die before you collect, your estate gets about 4 months worth of what would have been monthly payments AND IT'S TAXABLE !!

It's only CPP you can take early, gotta wait to 65 for the OAS. I got lucky they changed the formula for early withdrawal after I took it , you'll get less now.

1 hour ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I believe most here are a long way from 65 but if you are I hope you take care of your business better than I take care of mine. I ask 10 pensioners how many Samolians does OAS pay and I get 10 different answers or from the guys with wives that have money have no idea. It's a massive $608.38. That should fill my soon to be gone 1/2 ton 4X4 6 times, with Rez gas. 

Johnny D.

Johnny , it is all over the place cause of the supplement depending on your income. I am lucky, my American wife of 20 years, yesterday was our anniversary,  has never drawn a paycheque in Canada, so I do the income splitting thing to the MAX, get a bit of a supplement cause my income is lowered. Get someone to help with the taxes or a good program, lots of tax advantages with age, you'll be surprised how little you pay .

Edited by dave524

2 hours ago, dave524 said:
1 hour ago, irishfield said:

Haven't had a paycheque in over 15 years.. I should be golden.. in another 8 years! LOL

Johnny , it is all over the place cause of the supplement depending on your income. I am lucky, my American wife of 20 years, yesterday was our anniversary,  has never drawn a paycheque in Canada, so I do the income splitting thing to the MAX, get a bit of a supplement cause my income is lowered. Get someone to help with the taxes or a good program, lots of tax advantages with age, you'll be surprised how little you pay .

I have a fairly good guy that does our taxes. He better be based on what he charges. We do the income spitting thing and I know that based on my gross income I should be eligible for the supplement that I applied for. I never though I would make it to 65. To think of it I still haven't. I once got very good advise from an old timer, having a good Accountant is more important than having a good Lawyer. A very successful businessman that once owned most of the real estate in downtown Hamilton once told us to be successful one should owe a million dollars when he dies not have a million dollars in the bank. I'm well on my way to being successful. My parents grew up during the Great Depression and WW2. If you didn't have the cash in your pocket you didn't buy it. The 1st and last time they got credit was for the home I grew up in. We are going through settling the estate as Dad passed this passed April. I was floored when we found out he was carrying around a card with 100K credit available on it, guess what the balance was, yep, zippo. There was 1 transaction on it from 12 years ago when he bought his last car for 35K. That was the very 1st new car off the lot they ever bought. I remember driving out into the sticks in Stoney Creek to pay the mortgage every week. (They were the grand parents of the Hartsburg brothers of NHL fame if anyone remembers them) I didn't get my 1st credit card until I got married at 24. When I got divorced from my former wife she had a stack 2" high. I have 2 and my wife has 2, I think. 

No Irishfield, you don't get a paycheque you hand out paycheques!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I didn't get my 1st credit card until I got married at 24. When I got divorced from my former wife she had a stack 2" high. I have 2 and my wife has 2, I think. 

No Irishfield, you don't get a paycheque you hand out paycheques!

I didn't get married till I was 49, so I sorta skipped the expense of an ex, so I had a bit of cash saved before tying the knot/noose , retired in May 2008 and lost almost a third of it in the crash later that year but made it back on the rebound, only ever had 1 card, Chargex, think it is called Visa now, it was supposed to be for emergencies but somehow all the online crafting outfits have my number now,  married life :wallbash:.

4 hours ago, dave524 said:

I didn't get married till I was 49, so I sorta skipped the expense of an ex, so I had a bit of cash saved before tying the knot/noose , retired in May 2008 and lost almost a third of it in the crash later that year but made it back on the rebound, only ever had 1 card, Chargex, think it is called Visa now, it was supposed to be for emergencies but somehow all the online crafting outfits have my number now,  married life :wallbash:.

49, well that's a good start for a screen play. There's a story many would be interested In hearing Dave.a thing about being single and the life, not a single bit.

Yes my card was a Chargex now Visa. Show a millennial one of those card swipers and I wouldn't believe they would know what it is BUT. Friday a refrigeration tech came here to look at the fridge that is leaking and guess what he had to take a credit card? Yep a card swiper, I swear. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker
  • Like 1