Baseball Game Etiquitte-- What would you do???

npt1

My wife and I were at the Jays vs Yankee's game today, We sat in great area, second row.

Four people, ( girls in early 20s) sat in the row behind us and talked and laughed loudly and giggled, 

paying no attention to the game action..

After I gave them 3 dirty looks, that were ignored, I asked the people beside us in our row,  if they were pissed off 

about the fans behind and they said yes they were.

Put up with this for 5 innings and as I was about to blow my top,  my wife sensed my mood and said lets just leave and go home.

To make her happy, I said OK, and we left, got on the train and headed home.

Missed the last 3 innings of a game,

BTW,  our seats cost us $110.00  as a couple..

What would you have done????

Should I have done something else, I await response.

They also paid $110.00 to have a good time. How they have it is up to them. I'm sorry they spoiled your day but they weren't drunk, fist fighting or smoking stupid stick. I'm sure you went to the old Ivor Wynne in Hamilton. If you got tickets in section 26 the action in the stands could be more entertaining than the Cats on the field. I can still hear the tinkle tink tinkle sound of an empty 26er of Wiser's Whisky roll down the concrete steps. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker
  • Like 2

I'd have asked them if they could lower their voices. could work, or not, never know.

kinda related. was camping in algonquin few years back and there was a very loud radio crowd with kids  next to us. didn't look like the crowd you'd want to ask to tone it down but went over anyways. they were apologetic and turned their radio off. told them that wasn't necessary, just a bit lower volume. they were great the rest of the weekend and really nice people.

• Like 2

Thousands upon thousands of fans screaming, yelling & cheering on their favorite teams and everybody having a blast, don't think I'd be too upset about 4 ladies also having fun whether it was over the game or not.

Life's waaaay too short to sweat the little stuff.

• Like 4

I understand your frustration. Too bad they put up the protective netting.

I went to a sens/ New Jersey Devils game in Ottawa years ago (My brother is a Devils fan and I took him while visiting friends near Ottawa.) All through the first period the 4 guys behind us kept saying what combination of buttons they'd be pushing on their controller as if they were controlling the players on the ice in a video game. All period. At the end of the period I looked back expecting them to be kids and was shocked that the guys were my age. All I said was nobody cares about your video game. They didn't come back after going for more beer.

I know exactly how you feel.  That's why when the wife and I go we sit in the 113 and 130 sections.  Usually not too many people around unless the Jays are doing well then all the band wagons come out.  It's quiet, better view in my opinion, and you have a really good chance on getting a foul ball (came close three times).  You gotta be ready to run haha.  

Edited by LostAnotherOne

You gotta understand that going to the jays game on a Sunday/Saturday afternoon  is not necessarily about the baseball for many of those in attendance. Especially with the team’s current roster. 

Unless they are belligerent, fighting, or touching you, I think you need to consider what you are getting upset about. A group of friends that purchased tickets to an event having a good time with their friends? 

What to do, is think about the fact that there are far worse things in life to concern yourself with. 

• Like 1

If it was grating on you that badly, I would just move to another seat. By the 5th inning, if the seats 4 rows over are still empty...ain't nobody coming to fill em. Either find a new seat myself, or tell an usher about the situation...they would get you something pretty good I would imagine. 

• Like 2

Politely tell them you can’t watch the game could they please keep it down a bit.  

If that doesn’t work be more forecfull

if that doesn’t work ask for help from an attendant.

if none of those work here is what I would do.

1. Get a beer and during an exciting play jump up and spill your beer backwards in their direction (pop would work as well)

or

2. stand up and pass gas in their direction.

I thought I posted this but guess I didn't. We were told to keep it down once by an usher when we had seats 2 rows up from 1st base. We were slagging on the 1st base coach then Oaklands 1st baseman and the sight challenged Ump.  I guess we were bothering the 2 ladies in front of us all dolled up to be seen on TV, or the 1st baseman or coach. I told him I wanted to see his Supervisor. It's a ball game for God's sake not a funeral. But that's typical of a good quiet Canadian sports fan back in the 90's. Thank God for millennials, they know how to cheer at a ball game. If the Ti Cats have 20,000 fans at home 19,999 are dressed in Tiger Cat garb. You never saw that 30 years back, ever. You go boy's and girl's.  

Edited by Old Ironmaker