Lake Erie news

OhioFisherman

Those catch rates they are stating are pretty low IMO, I went out last week and limited in an hour for 2 guys (12); all in the 2 pound range, we launched around 6:15, were rigged up and fishing by 6;45 and pulled our last fish at 7:55.

Done that a few times this season, have been eating a lot more fish than usual ? planning on heading out again Sunday if the winds are cooperative.

IMG_20190907_093837.jpg

Not sure of their exact method of determining the catch per hour Lucas, if they are asking all anglers fishing for them I would expect some to do worse than others. Just curious? What were you using  for lures? I know things have changed since the last time I targeted walleye on Lake Erie.

9 hours ago, OhioFisherman said:

Not sure of their exact method of determining the catch per hour Lucas, if they are asking all anglers fishing for them I would expect some to do worse than others. Just curious? What were you using  for lures? I know things have changed since the last time I targeted walleye on Lake Erie.

Worm harnesses on long leads seems to be doing it.

The bite is so soft though we are regularly setting timers at 7 minutes to check our downriggers as they won't even pull it from the clip and usually we have one on lol

Yep everyone here on the north shore is limiting out each trip but it won't be long before they may be gone deeper. Fishing 100 to 110 feet this week off of Nanticoke. Talk about Erie, we got our place powerwashed last evening with 10 to 15 footers crashing against the break wall. Chocolate milk as far as I can see today. 

On 9/14/2019 at 12:23 PM, OhioFisherman said:

Usually this time of year they are moving shallower, the migration from the eastern to western basin. It stormed here too, sounded like someone shot off a cannon right outside my bedroom window when it started.

The wind was blowing hard from the south west, do you want it back my Buckeye pal? 

Yes the Pics are making their way west on the migration but they are still catching Walleye east of here. Normally at this time of year Walleye hunters need to find the Pics west of Long Point along the north shore to get any of those migratory fish but there are Pics still here and as I said even east of The Grand River. Very unusual to say the least. The sizes caught this year are averaging less than 3 pounds by my unscientific survey. In recent years and historically a 4 pounder would be the smallest in the box with most over 6. Limits were attainable but multiple limits were not often even for Charter guys .Very experienced folks would fish hard, all day and not limit out with 2 fishermen (persons). Could these Walleye still hanging around the eastern basin be local fish not in that annual migration? I hope so. When I say eastern basin I mean anything east of Long Point. I wanted to join a team Walleye challenge last week  but couldn't. 4 of the guys went out in 1 boat last week and a buddy took out 3 of the gals in his boat. Bragging rights only. Only 1 of the ladies had ever longlined, 1 never fished before out of a boat. The girls brought in 18 nice Pics and a Rainbow. The boys limited out, nothing over 5 lbs. That's how good it is this year and my boat got wet on the bottom only once. I've had cash offers on the Bassassin but plan on making a big comeback in 2020. 

On this side of the lake Ohio they move deeper and deeper all summer. In Spring we hit 30 to 40 feet of water and they get deeper and deeper. But yes you are right in late August as temps drop they seem to get closer to shore. A few weeks ago in Nanticoke they were at 100 to 110 feet which is 10 to 11 miles from shore. Ted told me yesterday that they found them in 60 feet Friday. The downriggers and boards were not releasing so they checked them every 10 minutes and usually there was a small (2 or 3 pounder) Pic on. 

I have heard of fishermen coming to our area as far north as North Bay and as far east as Quinte to get in on this banner year for Pics. Plenty for all. Back to my Buffalo game, no not the Sabres!

Edited by Old Ironmaker

6 hours ago, OhioFisherman said:

LOL John, shorter hours of daylight must be triggering the migration this year? I don't feel cooler temps yet! 3 days pushing 90 this week here, and you are welcome to share!

Paul I do know we have been getting cold nights, very cold here on the lakeshore. It was 11C on Thursday night. When I woke up the gas fireplace was on,  it's set at 55F. Last week the soya field behind our mailbox was green, today it is yellow. When I see yellow beans it tells me to start winterizing, I do not like yellow bean leaves. You are right Sir. I do know it doesn't take much in temps to make some fish do what fish do but a few degrees cooler on the surface wouldn't effect fish 100 feet deep. 

A neighbour told me they went out for a leisurely boat ride last Sunday out of Nanticoke. They said the boats fishing looked like the 400 series highway here in Ontario. The trailer parking lot was jammed full. 15 or more acres maybe? I would love to know how long the lineup to get a ramp would be. Watching boat ramp follies can be more fun than fishing some days. Weekends around here you either wish you had a slip or are thankful you do have one. I haven't fished a weekend other than a small tourney  in over 12 years. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Only managed 6 yesterday, the bite was not as consistent as it was last weekend in 70'-80' but they were still there.

Port Maitland launch was also out of commission, looks like the dock detached. It was being held in the ramp and had caution tape surrounding both ends. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Paul I do know we have been getting cold nights, very cold here on the lakeshore. It was 11C on Thursday night. When I woke up the gas fireplace was on,  it's set at 55F. Last week the soya field behind our mailbox was green, today it is yellow. When I see yellow beans it tells me to start winterizing, I do not like yellow bean leaves. You are right Sir. I do know it doesn't take much in temps to make some fish do what fish do but a few degrees cooler on the surface wouldn't effect fish 100 feet deep. 

A neighbour told me they went out for a leisurely boat ride last Sunday out of Nanticoke. They said the boats fishing looked like the 400 series highway here in Ontario. The trailer parking lot was jammed full. 15 or more acres maybe? I would love to know how long the lineup to get a ramp would be. Watching boat ramp follies can be more fun than fishing some days. Weekends around here you either wish you had a slip or are thankful you do have one. I haven't fished a weekend other than a small tourney  in over 12 years. 

Obviously from what I read and have experienced in the past not all the Walleyes  migrate or go very far if they do. The number of boats out fishing for walleye here looked like new islands from a distance, and the follies didn't end at the launching ramps, some carried them onto the water.

12 hours ago, leaf4 said:

Only managed 6 yesterday, the bite was not as consistent as it was last weekend in 70'-80' but they were still there.

Port Maitland launch was also out of commission, looks like the dock detached. It was being held in the ramp and had caution tape surrounding both ends. 

saw this on facebook 

70709869_2701363796550064_1649942296990318592_n.jpg

I apologize for the ramp being down from everyone here in Haldimand to those that comes from  out of town to use our free ramp and take up every parking spot. I am going to talk to the Mayor and see if he can raise our taxes a bit, just a tiny bit so we can build another ramp for you out of towners. $3500 a year in property taxes for a 900 sqft cottage with zero municipal services including sewer and water, no public transportation (75 bucks for a cab from the lake to Caledonia, a 25 minute drive). I think we can all kick in a few more bucks a year to build you a new ramp. You are all welcomed. 

Johnny D/Selkirk On.

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I apologize for the ramp being down from everyone here in Haldimand to those that comes from  out of town to use our free ramp and take up every parking spot. I am going to talk to the Mayor and see if he can raise our taxes a bit, just a tiny bit so we can build another ramp for you out of towners. $3500 a year in property taxes for a 900 sqft cottage with zero municipal services including sewer and water, no public transportation (75 bucks for a cab from the lake to Caledonia, a 25 minute drive). I think we can all kick in a few more bucks a year to build you a new ramp. You are all welcomed. 

Johnny D/Selkirk On.

I'm sure a few enterprising anglers wouldn't mind putting in some elbow grease, and fix it up... But I doubt that's allowed lol.

I noticed a few boards where it ramps down where it meets the right side wall near the corner were a bit shredded on the ends, they looked a bit chintzy however, looked more like fence boards than deck boards haha

Edited by leaf4

3 hours ago, leaf4 said:

I'm sure a few enterprising anglers wouldn't mind putting in some elbow grease, and fix it up... But I doubt that's allowed lol.

I noticed a few boards where it ramps down where it meets the right side wall near the corner were a bit shredded on the ends, they looked a bit chintzy however, looked more like fence boards than deck boards haha

Oh it's allowed Leaf but by the time liability and Comp.insurance is paid and all the volunteers have been trained in the use of power tools,  have JSP's developed, reviewed then the volunteers have them read and fully explained to them as well as the required WHIMIS classes it would be less cost to have the Township workers do the repairs after a committee is set up to review the sealed bids from sub contractors then and only then the capital has to be approved by Town Council unless it is close to an election then the matter will be held over until the new council may review the project. So we can expect the ramp to be down until 2024, maybe 2026. Or we can sneak in under the cover of a low Moon and then we can get er done well before last call at the hotel. 

10 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Oh it's allowed Leaf but by the time liability and Comp.insurance is paid and all the volunteers have been trained in the use of power tools,  have JSP's developed, reviewed then the volunteers have them read and fully explained to them as well as the required WHIMIS classes it would be less cost to have the Township workers do the repairs after a committee is set up to review the sealed bids from sub contractors then and only then the capital has to be approved by Town Council unless it is close to an election then the matter will be held over until the new council may review the project. So we can expect the ramp to be down until 2024, maybe 2026. Or we can sneak in under the cover of a low Moon and then we can get er done well before last call at the hotel. 

The ramp was repaired yesterday so I guess they can cancel the tender call and WHIMIS training. Hopefully your taxes won't go up too much....

image.png.022e73d65375b2a6694d96351212a02a.png

Edited by G.mech

Glad to hear G. Mech. I actually never use that ramp. If the wind is up from the south it is unprotected and boats can get damaged. I use Fishmasters up river a bit. 5 bucks and a huge parking lot. The ramp is steep so I can drive the boat right onto the trailer because the base is solid too. Don't go in to far, there is a drop off. 

I actually got out on the lake yesterday. Fished the Elbow, we didn't limit out with the 3 of us but we did get 15 nice 3lb. pikeraleyes. And my body held out. From the cleaning board into the pan. Man they are good, real good. I had a huge bun with 6 nice cheeks on it with creamy cold sludge.Tonight Walleye Taco's, tomorrow who knows.  Mmmmm good!!

Today the lake is calm. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker
  • Like 1