Outboard gas issues

super dave

Hey guys.   

I recently picked up a 9.9 Johnson to work on over the winter as a project. Was sitting for 2 years but didn't have any issues starting it up.  New gas and it fired up.  But it's dying after 2 mins so.   I pulled out the line from the pump to the carb and no fuel was coming out when running so it must be the fuel pump.   Just bought a new one instead of rebuild.  This is still not working. I took out the gas lines to see if any were clogged but they weren't.   Any ideas?   When I pump the primer bulb I don't see any gas leaking.  Could it be the gas line from the tank?   Any feedback would be appreciated bc I'm stumped. 

Thanks 

Hey OF,

Yes older motor.   I was thinking that as well.  might just buy a new hose assembly and see if thats the culprit.   i also have the motor on a stand and the tank on the ground.  im wondering if there is not enough power to suck up the gas from that level.  i'll try raising the tank about mid motor height and see if that works.  

Edited by super dave

I had to replace the connector where the line goes in to the motor.  Same thing, it would run for a bit until the bowl went dry.  You could prime the bowl by pumping primer bulb, but the suction from the pump was leaking at that connector. 

Worth a look.   

Might also be worth removing the carb, and blowing out all the ports with some parts cleaner and an air gun.  Likely will blow a bunch of tiny chunks of degraded rubber.. 

Issue resolved.  I tried moving the gas tank up to about half the height of the motor and it was spilling gas out the fuel pump.   Let it running for about 30 seconds and it continued.   Hooked everything back up and it was running for a good 5 mins without issues.   Thanks for the help guys. 

• Like 1

Most times it can be a simple as a new fuel line from the tank to the engine. I hope that is the case with yours. I have seen guys come into the shop buddy has and the guy has torn apart the thing only to find the 20 buck fuel line is bad. One was bad coming out of the box from China or Viet Nam that he bought at Princess Auto, for cheap. Another you get what you pay for. 

On 9/16/2019 at 9:09 PM, super dave said:

Issue resolved.  I tried moving the gas tank up to about half the height of the motor and it was spilling gas out the fuel pump.   Let it running for about 30 seconds and it continued.   Hooked everything back up and it was running for a good 5 mins without issues.   Thanks for the help guys. 

Fuel pump? You mean primer bulb or? IMO rubber is in higher demand these days so manufacturers are cheaping out adding vinyl to it. This along with ethanol in the 'new' gasoline deteriorates the fuel hose easier. At the age the motor is you need replace the hoses, bulb completely. Oh and change the fuel filter also since it may have the wee black flecks from fuel line deterioration in it. If no fuel filter there then drop the carb bowl(s) to clean em out along with the hole in the jet by unscrewing the bolt up over the bowl. What I'd do.